I wish.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I wish....

I wish that companies would make rv appliances made for rv's. Compact coffee makers with ss carafes, that make 6-8 cups and take up little counter space, small toaster ovens and microwaves that take up little space. All the little appliances would work off 110v or 12v automatically. It seems we are constantly adapting residential appliances from our home to that being on the road and most are too big. I do not need a 12 cup coffee maker with a glass carafe in my trailer!!!

I wish that there was somehow a way to coordinate rallies so that a person who is planning to travel 2-4 weeks could attend a several rallies in progress while en-route. This may seem hard to do since most rallies are on weekends. There are rallies in April on the east and west coast, in May, likewise west and east coasts , in June in one in British Columbia, in July one in Labrador and I'd like to attend all of them rather than just one

What are some of your wishes.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #2

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
I wish I had a camper! But after I get one, I plan to take a Keurig coffee maker wherever we go....hot water, coffee, apple cider and hot chocolate on demand!
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Two French presses and a Sanyo Microwave here. Gain a bit here; loose a bit there.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I wish our UHaul VT was a bit wider down the middle inside. There's not enough room to pass my spouse since the sink/stove/counter come out so far. (Of course, maybe I should just wish that I was skinnier!)
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #5

Delaware
El Gordito (the little fat one) provides a siding for the slashby. It is called the shower.

jack
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I wish I could work for 3 months and travel for 9 months. I wish my trailer were like the "tardiss" on Dr. Who, so small on the outside as to only reduce mpg's a smidgen, yet so large inside that I could have several rooms. I wish I had a collection of trailers and tugs... which one do I want to take on this trip? And I wish there were more camping places in the faraway empty boonies, with good paved roads leading to them, and yet secluded so that the nearest neighbor would be miles away.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
They are called stove top percolators. Work fairly well.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
I wish our UHaul VT was a bit wider down the middle inside. There's not enough room to pass my spouse since the sink/stove/counter come out so far. (Of course, maybe I should just wish that I was skinnier!)
That was one thing we didn't like about the VT we looked at, it felt narrow inside. Our wish is for a safe trip south for you two, and that you can fit in a visit with us. And of course a successful elbow repair and speedy recovery.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I wish I could work for 3 months and travel for 9 months. I wish my trailer were like the "tardiss" on Dr. Who, so small on the outside as to only reduce mpg's a smidgen, yet so large inside that I could have several rooms. I wish I had a collection of trailers and tugs... which one do I want to take on this trip? And I wish there were more camping places in the faraway empty boonies, with good paved roads leading to them, and yet secluded so that the nearest neighbor would be miles away.
Hey, You've seen the cavernous inside of Snoopy's Doghouse...And he still sleeps on the roof.
Some of us are never satisfied!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #10

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
If our trailers had central vac suction system, dishwasher not the husband. I have seen 12 volt appliances that work ok but not fast like 110v.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #11

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK Gray View Post
They are called stove top percolators. Work fairly well.

Yup! I use the coffee pot my parents got at their wedding 57 years ago. I traded it off my mother for a new cable for her dvd player...it sat for years dusty in her basement and I use it just about everyday!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I wish for more $$ so we could camp more often and stay longer,

Oh wait, my daddy always said " if you wish for money or something that cost money,Always wish for it to be TAX Free because if you don't you waste more than half your wish!" Growing up I never understood that,but because "Daddy said" I did always add the Tax Free to my wishes.....needless to say I well understand it now....LOL!

OH well HAPPY Camping to all and to all a good night!
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #13

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Yup! I use the coffee pot my parents got at their wedding 57 years ago. I traded it off my mother for a new cable for her dvd player...it sat for years dusty in her basement and I use it just about everyday!

deryk
I've got a little Cabela's SS stove top percolator that stays in the camper to use when I don't have shore power. When hooked to shore power, I use the little 4 cup Mr Coffee electric drip brewer. For the life of me though, I can't get "good" coffee out of the percolator. It always comes out too strong for me. I have found that adding a paper filter in the basket helps, but it still seems too strong. I guess I'm still brewing too long.
I will say the Cabela's pot is quality made, and keeps the coffee warm for quite a while after brewing.

As for Jim's original question, what I wish for.... I kinda wish I was not so in love with these two little new Arabian mares we got recently. They are taking so much of my time, they are cutting into my camping trips !
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #14

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well the secret with good perked coffee is the ratio to coffee grounds and how long to perk. My pot, which makes 2 "real cups of coffee lol" is 3 scoops and 10 minutes perking time. The longer you perk it the stronger it is....but then it runs through you like battery acid lol... but it is cleansing lol
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #15

Missouri
And to be honest with you all, I kinda cheated at the Balloon Fiesta when I had to use the percolator all week: I actually used it to boil the water, then slowly poured it thru the Mr Coffee drip basket into the decanter. Then I transferred it after brewing to the SS pot so I could keep it warm.
I guess I just need to do some more experimenting with the percolator. How's that for a "wish"...... I wish I could make coffee that is something less than Deryk's "battery acid" in my percolator !
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
For the life of me though, I can't get "good" coffee out of the percolator. It always comes out too strong for me. I have found that adding a paper filter in the basket helps, but it still seems too strong. I guess I'm still brewing too long.
With a perc you need to be vigilant over it for the best brew. As with any type of brewing, the coffee itself, how fresh the roasted beans are, is it a coarse grind, and how fresh the grind is, has a lot to do with it too. I use a rounded tablespoon of a coarse grind per cup. Once it has started to perc, immediately turn down the temp so that a slow perc is happening. I usually let it perc for about 5 minutes tops, if you extract too long you start to draw the acidity out of the grounds. Using a paper filter will take some of the oils out of the coffee, which will reduce the bitterness (if you want) a bit.

A big mistake percing, is to use too little coffee, and to try to extract too much out of the bean. Try using more coffee, and cutting the brew time down a bit. Experiment until you find your favourite combination.

Still, a peculator is about fourth on my favourite ways to brew. None of them are dependent upon electricity.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #17

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
California
I use a single cup coffee cone. Place the cone on the cup, place filter, add coffee , pour hot water. I have two cones so I can make two cups at a time for us. This is the only thing I have used my casita stove for. In fact I like this method so much I got rid of my home coffee maker and use cones at home. Of course, since retiring I only drink one cup a day. Maybe two when camping. Best coffee ever.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #18

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
I use a single cup coffee cone. Place the cone on the cup, place filter, add coffee , pour hot water. I have two cones so I can make two cups at a time for us. This is the only thing I have used my casita stove for. In fact I like this method so much I got rid of my home coffee maker and use cones at home. Of course, since retiring I only drink one cup a day. Maybe two when camping. Best coffee ever.
I remember doing that! Good coffee. Thanks. I'm switching over :-)
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #19

Delaware
I used to like the poured thru coffee from Melita coffee makers. I'd probably like the single cup stuff also but we try to keep the paper products down to a loud roar. I like the coffee from a French press but the trick is getting rid of the grounds. I swirl water in the glass and throw it outside before rinsing it or washing with dishes. Good for acid loving plants like azaleas and rhodos, wild blueberries. One less thing to precipitate out in grey water tanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #20

Missouri
thanks for all the comments and suggestions on percolating coffee ! Sorry, my post kinda hi-jacked the original point of thread.....so now, back to your regularly scheduled "I wish" thread......

geo