I wish I had.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
If you gutted, removed, or otherwise tore into your trailer and did a modify that after it was all said and done you wished you would have done it differerent share what it was you did and what you wished you would have done different. Thought this might make a few of us think befor we do something. Thanks for your story. Brandy
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #2

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Bar none, I would not have installed a propane / evaporative refrigerator. When I removed the icebox, I installed a Dometic 2-way fridge, which required cutting large vents into the fiberglass shell. The vent covers never do fit well to the curved fiberglass body, and there is no way to install a 2 or 3 way fridge to comply with Dometic's specs.

Some time later, I discovered the high-efficiency 12-volt marine fridges with the Danfoss compressor, and switched out the fridge. It doesn't require anything significant for venting, and certainly not to the outside. It will run for days on a 12v battery and is virtually silent. With the optional power supply, it will also switch over to shore power whenever it is available, automatically. It also cools down much, much faster than the standard RV fridges.

This fridge eliminates any potential safety issues with towing on propane, and there is no pilot to light. Best upgrade I made! Unfortunately, I still had those big vents cut to the outside...
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 75 Boler
Quote:
If you gutted, removed, or otherwise tore into your trailer and did a modify that after it was all said and done you wished you would have done it differerent share what it was you did and what you wished you would have done different. Thought this might make a few of us think befor we do something. Thanks for your story. Brandy
Although my frame was in perfect shape,

Click image for larger version

Name:	43.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	12415

I would have added support bars to reinforce it some and also added a rear hitch for a bike carrier.

Mike
Mike Montville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
> I wish I had....,

won the lottery first.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
> I wish I had....,

won the lottery first.
Gina,
You have an FGRV! Isn't that like winning the lottery?
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
Thought this might make a few of us think before we do something.

My Compact Jr. was already gutted when I bought it. It had tail light fixtures installed, but they were not connected, as the wiring harness was totally removed. The tail light fixtures were mounted half-way up the body on the back, higher than other tail light fixtures on trailers I have seen. I ran the wires around the middle of the body on each side first, and then covered them with the reflectix and interior wall covering. I also placed a cabinet with a panel side against the covered wall... Now they are inaccessible if a wire fails.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
With the current trailer I doubt I'd do much of anything different. I spent three months lurking here and learning from the masters of FGRV before I found my Scamp and gutted it.

What I would do differently with what I know now from a year of using our Scamp is that I would get the 16 with the side bath and exact same floorplan as the 13 to start with. The reason wouldn't be for gaining the bath/shower(we really are fine with the 13 and porta-potti), but just to gain a little bit of separation of area with the two kiddos traveling with us for the next 10 years.

Now I have thought of changing to the 16, but my son is very attached to lil Scamper and it would cause permanent scarring. So now we're having to tell him that someday the Scamp will be his and Mommy and Daddy will get an Escape 5th wheel for us....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
Our little Boler is now 24. Previous owner had painted it metalic green. We put up with the colour since '94, as our van was green, but this year it's time for a face lift. It's been getting a new coat of white to match the Tow, one more coat on the bottom half this spring, and a new inside look too. Permanent bed, new bedding and matching curtains and a front dinette. This spring comes a new axle to, replace the one that sags more than I do, and outside hatches. Around here, the wishes are finally happening. After all we want to keep the little gem for another 14 years.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote