I would like your opinion regarding the new RV design - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you like the design?
I LOVE IT! 0 0%
I HATE IT! 18 85.71%
Maybe but I will think about it. 1 4.76%
Love it but I like to see a little changes. See my comments 0 0%
Great design! But not for me, maybe others. 1 4.76%
Great marketing potential!! Nice one! 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Thread now closed. Thank you for strong feedback!

Thread now closed. Thank you for your strong feedback.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Just a couple of things off the top of my head.
To exit at night you should have a small door, in case of emergency.
Don't want to go outside at night to the call of nature.
What about fans for ventalation,(no noticable windows that open) heaters for the cold.
I like the overall concept .
Ron
Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I just voted 'Hate It' but realize hate it is too strong wording. Dislike it is more to the point (for me). I am really concerned about possible future water leakage. As NEW this trailer will probably be water tight but I feel that in the future the gaskets provided could very well decompose enough to let water enter the trailer.

IMHO: Water leaks and campers do NOT have a lot in common.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Pretty innovative but the major flaw I see is the "wings" have so much surface area that in a big wind the trailer wings will easily be ripped off or the whole trailer will blow over. If they were fold-able/stow-able there would be even more areas for water leakage. This just won't work!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Not for me. Not for cooler climates (think rain.)
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm trying to imagine sitting on that sofa with the side closed against the wind and driving rain. Can't even make a cup of hot chocolate without opening both sides of the trailer.
Where does all the heat go when you have to go out for a pee?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mark and Tara,

Certainly glad that some one's thinking outside the standard fare. Unfortunately I believe it would have a very narrow market.

First I believe the comments about wind are very real, every year I see an awning or two that have blown off, even when people are careful. The reality is that on a clear day wicked gusts can come up at any time any where. Second physical roof hinges will leak, particularly over long dimensions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Many things that can be done shouldn't be and some things that are very difficult to do should be. But not all. I think this is an approach to mating large molded parts which ignores the inherent flexibility of fiberglass. I agree with previous assessments that the design encourages water incursion, is oblivious to the goal of microclimate maintenance and inimical to the very, very basic concept of shelter out of the sun, wind, dust, rain. I think it might have a chance of a foothold in an indoor trade show application or outside as a mall or parking lot demo trailer. Tailgaters might see some sort status enhancement in owning an outdoor "living room. Wealthy beachcombers? Appears to be extending the under trunk lid "chuck wagon" concept of a teardrop to living quarters. The teardrop stopped at the optimization point. Not going to replace the bread n butter box with a door in my stodgy, safe, nearsighted opinion.

jack
Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
OK, maybe Wonko The Sane might like the concept of inside on the outside and no walls. The problem is that most really free spirits have traditionally got by with a boxcar and a hobo jungle.

jack
Old 02-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm trying to imagine sitting on that sofa with the side closed against the wind and driving rain. Can't even make a cup of hot chocolate without opening both sides of the trailer.
Where does all the heat go when you have to go out for a pee?
Those are the types of comments/questions I suspect many a wet coasters is going to state.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Actually, I just noticed the "makeshift porta-potti" ( the green thing on the right, next to the trailer ). Just how does one store that, and I presume it would have to be emptied first?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #12

Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Actually, I just noticed the "makeshift porta-potti" ( the green thing on the right, next to the trailer ). Just how does one store that, and I presume it would have to be emptied first?
Take another look. Any box that big is obviously for beer. It's a giant refrigerator! Unfortunately, I couldn't vote for just that idea!

Steve
Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I've done more than a reasonable amount of fiberglass lay up in the past 50 some years and I can't see any way that the "Gull Wings" can be lifted and supported without a lot of flexing, flexing that will lead to cracks and even more leaks.

The "American Teardrop" of a few years back failed, in part, because they couldn't get even small gullwing doors to stop leaking.

Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, why not take some of the proven designs and try to improve on them????? For starters, look at the Hunter Compact-II and the 1978 (only) Toyota Sunrader 17' motorhome coach shell. Both are excellent examples of space utilization, the key to sucess in this market.

Very few buyers want to be the first ones to actually spend $$$ to try/buy a new concept, and it's hard to stay afloat for the first few years without immediate sales volume.

The Trailor/Boat, also shown today, dates back to 1954, a good idea that never really took off. Lots of lookers liked them, but few bought.
Maybe with the need for "small" it might succeed today, but it ceertainly didn't 50 years ago, an idea ahead of it's time, sorta like the 4 cylinder Henry-J of the early 50's.

Take a good look at the

Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Fundamentally, it's teardrop turned 90 degrees, which makes the kitchen area much wider - a nice feature. The clamshell or lift panel which works for the kitchen is innovative for the seating/sleeping area, but that's also where concerns come up.

Although the end portions going up with the side panel would stiffen the panel, they also increase the wind load problem.

If the trailer is the width of a typical egg, that's 2 m or 80"; is half of that really deep enough for the seating area? Perhaps the seating area gets more than half the width... a floorplan would help understanding.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looking at the survey results, I think that I am starting to see a trend develop.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #16

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Not for us. We'll stick with our EggCamper. It works well and is roomy enough inside for us to set up and use both our Strongback chairs.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #17

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I'm having a difficult time seeing how this unit actually works. I can't find a simple floor plan - or a list of standard equipment and trailer weight. So - it is hard to really voice an opinion.

Does it really open up - how does that work when it is raining? What is that green box beside it? What equipment is included - stove - fridge - furnace? The pictures seem to show some storage but no clear indication of how many it sleeps.

More info is needed for me before I can say anything else.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I voted: Great design! But not for me, maybe others. Because I truly believe there is room for "Different Strokes for Different Folks." For instance, I don't care for the T@B shape or any trailer where you MUST cook outside. But that doesn't mean it's not for others. If there was one perfect trailer and one perfect layout... that's all we'd see and that's all that would be available. Aren't we glad we all have opinions and decide what's best for us?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #19

Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I voted: Great design! But not for me, maybe others. Because I truly believe there is room for "Different Strokes for Different Folks." For instance, I don't care for the T@B shape or any trailer where you MUST cook outside. But that doesn't mean it's not for others. If there was one perfect trailer and one perfect layout... that's all we'd see and that's all that would be available. Aren't we glad we all have opinions and decide what's best for us?
Donna,

Like you, I agree on "Different Strokes for Different Folks" however, please expand on the "great design" aspects of this trailer. I think your vote was a give-away in that respect!

Steve
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Thank you and I had enough feedback. You do not need to do anymore survey here. Thank you again.
Closed Thread