ID This Truck Camper? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
My bet is that someone did a great job of re-purposing a fibreglass liquid storage tank.

It actually looks like a propane tank on steroids.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:55 PM   #22

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I'm waiting for Donna D to weigh in on this. In my book, she's the champ on ID'ing oddities like this.... Well, Donna D? The pressure is on....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:01 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I'm waiting for Donna D to weigh in on this. In my book, she's the champ on ID'ing oddities like this.... Well, Donna D? The pressure is on....
I don't have a clue. Kinda neat looking though. It would be even better if it was an all-molded-towable
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:15 AM   #24

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
I like the way the shell curves to meet the truck's box sides. This provides a good mirror sight line. No need for the extended mirrors that are required for most campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-07-2016, 06:31 AM   #25

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My bet is that someone did a great job of re-purposing a fibreglass liquid storage tank.

It actually looks like a propane tank on steroids.
Jim, that was my first thought. Interesting design though.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
The mismatched/aged(?) shades of white on cover grills and various accessories, along with some of the odd custom-fitted flanges, make me think it's a one-of-a kind home-made job based on a large liquid storage tank similar to the one in the attached photo that I found just snooping around on Google for large plastic and fiberglass storage tanks. If so, I'm sure it was a fun project for the builder, and I'd love to see what they did on the inside....
Attached Thumbnails
Lquid storage tank.jpg  
Old 01-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #27

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
The mismatched/aged(?) shades of white on cover grills and various accessories, along with some of the odd custom-fitted flanges, make me think it's a one-of-a kind home-made job based on a large liquid storage tank similar to the one in the attached photo that I found just snooping around on Google for large plastic and fiberglass storage tanks. If so, I'm sure it was a fun project for the builder, and I'd love to see what they did on the inside....
The various hatches and vents are all OEM from the appliance manufacturers and come in varying shades of white, so they really aren't indicative of much at all.

I doubt very much that it's re-purposed tank as it looks purpose-built. Whether it's a factory prototype or a really well-done custom-fab home-built is still up for grabs. Either way, it's a pretty innovative design.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The fact that it is so tightly matched to the Dakota's size and shape (especially the braces that angle across the quarter windows) makes it seem like a one-off project to me as well. The Dakota is a bit of a tweener, size-wise, and out of production.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #29

Colorado
I downloaded the photos into PowerPoint where I could enlarge the images to see more detail, and there are definitely some "rough edges and blemishes" (angle iron with exposed bolt threads and nuts, etc.) that I don't think a manufacturer trying to attract customers would have let out their shop door (or maybe that's why there is no manufacturer's name plate on it!). So, I'm still guessing it's a pretty cool DIY project. On another note, the image enlargements also let you see a bit better through the door window some details inside - including what appears to be sink cabinetry just inside the door to the left. A really curious person with the right (or wrong) connections in British Columbia could probably track down the owner from the truck's license plate (then have fun trying to explain to the owner how they tracked them down!).
Old 01-03-2018, 03:13 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
OK folks, it's been 2 years but the owners of this camper were back in town and I chased them down and got the "tour" . They are from Victoria BC. He built this 10 years ago to fit his '02 Dakota truck. He did say he was a bit concerned of finding a replacement truck when the time came. It does not have a gel coat finish it's painted. They have a fresh water tank for the sink, LP wall heater and small refer, solar on the roof, upper storage cabinets along both sides and a clothes closet and over the cab bed. Pretty sweet build....wished I'd had a camera with me. I did give them my email and his wife said she would send me pics of the build. Should be interesting as he did it free hand for the most part. If they send any I'll post them. A bit funny, he told me someone stopped him and said he'd seen one just like it before, someone here said the same thing....maybe that was the same person?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
What was the interior headroom like? It looks pretty high but that could be an illusion from the rocket booster design style.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:50 AM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
What was the interior headroom like? It looks pretty high but that could be an illusion from the rocket booster design style.
Good question Steve, I didn't think of adding that. Would guess it to be at least 6' from the head clearance I had in it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote