Idea for longtime forum members? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #15

Name: Lisa D1
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Austin, TX
Registry
Oh and of course, there is no warranty being made as to condition or anything. It's just another pair of eyes confirming this isn't a scam.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
I can travel up to - oh say - 50 miles to have a "boo" at one - just paying the site back for the folks who have helped me on here! If you want me to go a hundred or more miles, I'll ask for some fuel $$$ before agreeing to go, and we'll discuss it via PM or e-mail

Otherwise, I would not think of charging for it - with the caveat that "If I say its a REALLY good one and you come to see and it is a P.O.S. by your standards - don't hold me accountable".

Please remember - my standards for judging oh, say a 1972 Boler 13 may not mirror yours as I may be looking for something different than you.
If you seek a project - count me out - I have no frame of reference.

To me its a case of "I'd feel safe towing this and I'd camp in it as is" - or else - to my view - not a good bet to get!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Having offered and done this a couple of times for people here, I personally think that I would only want to do it the way I have done it. For the buyer, not for the seller!

honestly, you may not want my opinion! of your trailer. But the buyer welcomes my honesty...

I would also question, liability for a service for a seller. Could get rather sticky!

I know of some people who took the recomendation of a member who's friend was selling a egg and when I saw the trailer, I sure didn't see, excellent condition! Which is how this person described his friends trailer. Unfortunately, they drove a long way to pick that trailer up. And in my opinion they paid too much and probably could have found a better trailer. Everyone's opinon of what is "excellent condition" is different. That is why I say it could become a sticky situation if a buyer doesn't agree and drives a long way or pays to much!

When I have done it, I take tons of pic's for the buyer to see all the lil details I see. Take ton's of notes and make sure to look over everything.

I don't make a decision for them, I just give them enough nuetral information for them to make their own decision.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
It really should be done as a favor to the potential buyer, not as a service for pay. Unless the person is a qualified appraiser with insurance to cover his/her butt in case the buyer buys and then finds a problem, no way should there be an expectation of payment. However, if the buyer is happy with the purchase and decides to later send a gift to the person who looked, there's nothing wrong with that. Robin, I completely agree with you about 'sticky situations'!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
We had a long time member go look at our Triilium before driving 5 hours with two dogs to buy it. No surprises when we arrived and even some insight in advance as to the sort of social niceties that would likely impress the seller
Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #20

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
With gas prices, if it's a ways away offering to cover that would be good.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #21

Name: Lisa D1
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Austin, TX
Registry
My intent was to help sellers know it was a legitimate camper showing the title etc I could see a buyer might want someone to look at it for condition but that wasn't what I was trying to cover with this particular idea. I agree that a seller paid review of condition is a conflict of interest and just a bad idea. Maybe my original idea isn't really of value to buyers. Oh well, glad its Friday anyway!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #22

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
hmmm...what i was saying i was "in" for was to check things out for the buyer. i wouldn't do it to represent a seller. i guess i didn't specify that well.
and i sure wouldn't expect $$ compensation unless i had to reallllllly drive a far distance.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #23

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
I have done that for 8 years or so also listed referrals as well. We had a dealer down the street from me that loved to get these fiberglass trailers and he was right on the stick of what to ask for them, I would list them on this forum as well as the 2 casita forums, in this instance I have no idea whether he sold any because of it. I would think if someone was willing to drive a good distance for a peek the requester should be willing to pay for the gas no????
Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #24

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
It never even dawned on me that someone would look on behalf of the seller and frankly that just makes no sense to me at all.

The Seller holds all the cards really and has nothing to lose in general except reputation,if they are not a member or enthusiast they probably have no incentive to represent them honestly.

I say this based on my own experiences looking at these trailers used too I am not just making this up!

I am usually happy to look and report what I see to a buyer as a friendly,helpful gesture and encouragement to new members but this can be tricky too as not everyone is as CRAZY about the millions of little things I find myself turning up when inspecting a trailer.

One guy thinks the rig is a treasure and the next see it as Trash.

For that reason alone I would never accept compensation for the trouble,free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

On the other hand I have bought and sold several times here and built a reputation that is decent as I plan to be here a while and it is just the right thing to do.
Unfortunately that practice is also vanishing quickly these days it seems again observed from my own experience.

So I would have to suggest leaving things the way they are,if its not broken,why fix it?
These things have a way of working themselves out.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
"It never even dawned on me that someone would look on behalf of the seller and frankly that just makes no sense to me at all."

it is not unusual in real estate for a seller to have a paid current appraisal completed at their expense to use as a selling tool. Likewise a current certificate of inspection from a local rv dealer could help a sale.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
"A local RV dealer?" Is there one who is familiar with fiberglass trailers? In my - albeit limited experience of RV dealers - they can look up a NADA value on a moho if and only if it cost in excess of $500,000 when new, but most have never even SEEN a fiberglass trailer in their lives!

Someone on here was at a dealership asking about a hitch for his Honda (or similar sized car) and could not convince them that he wanted to pull his RV WITH the car, not have it pulled BY his RV