Idea for longtime forum members? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Idea for longtime forum members?

When I first bought my ct13 it was located in Atlanta and I was in Jacksonville Florida so I was one of the many folks who did that searching and buying from out of state. I think a lot of us with fiberglass campers looked out of state too because they are kind of rare.

Now I have "The Beagle" up for sale here in Austin Tx and know how hard it is as a buyer to get info and try to decide if they are going to travel long distances to see a camper.

Have any of you long time forum members and experienced camper owners thought about looking at campers for sale in your area and possibly acting as a third party resource for out of state buyers? For example: in my case I'd gladly pay a senior board member and camper owner in my area $50 to take a look at my camper I have up for sale. Then if out of state buyers wanted to know that it really exists, that I have tag, title, etc. just the basics at least someone not involved in the sale could say yep, that camper exists and she's the owner. I think it could only be established board members who could provide that service. What do you all think?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
I think there a lot of members that would be glad to do if if ask , I would within a reasonable distance
Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i'd do it
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The answer was "Yes" for me. A person about 4 states away asked if someone lived near a trailer they were interested in and if that person would be williing to check the trailer out for them. The trailer was only 30 miles from me so I responded Yes.

The trailer either sold or was taken off the market so I never did go see it but I was willing to help out.

Seems to me that there are most likely others like me that would be willing to help out.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
About a year ago, I was interested in a trailer located near Toronto - about 2,000 miles away from here. 3 different people volunteered to inspect it for me to advise me on whether or not it would be worth my travellling there to make a final decision. (As it turned out, I bought a different one - also about 2,000 miles away in a different direction!)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #6

Registry
Cool! Sounds like some people would utilize this. How would a buyer/ seller initiate that kind of request? If I would want to ask for this kind of assistance what would be a good forum to make that request? If I did it in the for sale forum that would probably only be viewed by buyers. I'd rather get an old timer who has a camper now to take a look. And it would need to be in my general area. How do I catch that type of viewers eye?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
If within an hour, (100km) I'd go. Organizing this through the web site would be a great service to members. We should have a forum for just this purpose.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Northern Illannoy, I'm in(already have been)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #9

Registry
How do we ask the admin for a new forum? What would we call it?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #10

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
I would also participate.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have done this a few times already and have also sold and delivered a distance too.
So far people just PM me and ask if I would take a look?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I've alerted the moderating team to this discussion- we'll consider the logistics of it. Stay tuned.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
count us in. we've already offered this service a couple of times and have had the chance to use it, as well. in fact, it was thru this forum that we learned the availability of our trailer and we jumped on it and bought it!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #14

Registry
So thinking about how someone would volunteer for this service: what if they posted something like this:
- their location and how many miles they would travel to take a look at a camper
- what they'd charge the seller for the review

I think it's fair to pay someone a nominal fee for this service, as a seller. It makes it less risky for buyers and I would think makes it easier to sell at a distance. I figure doing this once and providing the info to any interested buyers would be sufficient. Plus it takes someone's time although most of us probably enjoy looking at other peoples' campers anyway!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #15

Registry
Oh and of course, there is no warranty being made as to condition or anything. It's just another pair of eyes confirming this isn't a scam.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I can travel up to - oh say - 50 miles to have a "boo" at one - just paying the site back for the folks who have helped me on here! If you want me to go a hundred or more miles, I'll ask for some fuel $$$ before agreeing to go, and we'll discuss it via PM or e-mail

Otherwise, I would not think of charging for it - with the caveat that "If I say its a REALLY good one and you come to see and it is a P.O.S. by your standards - don't hold me accountable".

Please remember - my standards for judging oh, say a 1972 Boler 13 may not mirror yours as I may be looking for something different than you.
If you seek a project - count me out - I have no frame of reference.

To me its a case of "I'd feel safe towing this and I'd camp in it as is" - or else - to my view - not a good bet to get!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Having offered and done this a couple of times for people here, I personally think that I would only want to do it the way I have done it. For the buyer, not for the seller!

honestly, you may not want my opinion! of your trailer. But the buyer welcomes my honesty...

I would also question, liability for a service for a seller. Could get rather sticky!

I know of some people who took the recomendation of a member who's friend was selling a egg and when I saw the trailer, I sure didn't see, excellent condition! Which is how this person described his friends trailer. Unfortunately, they drove a long way to pick that trailer up. And in my opinion they paid too much and probably could have found a better trailer. Everyone's opinon of what is "excellent condition" is different. That is why I say it could become a sticky situation if a buyer doesn't agree and drives a long way or pays to much!

When I have done it, I take tons of pic's for the buyer to see all the lil details I see. Take ton's of notes and make sure to look over everything.

I don't make a decision for them, I just give them enough nuetral information for them to make their own decision.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It really should be done as a favor to the potential buyer, not as a service for pay. Unless the person is a qualified appraiser with insurance to cover his/her butt in case the buyer buys and then finds a problem, no way should there be an expectation of payment. However, if the buyer is happy with the purchase and decides to later send a gift to the person who looked, there's nothing wrong with that. Robin, I completely agree with you about 'sticky situations'!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
We had a long time member go look at our Triilium before driving 5 hours with two dogs to buy it. No surprises when we arrived and even some insight in advance as to the sort of social niceties that would likely impress the seller
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
With gas prices, if it's a ways away offering to cover that would be good.