If you could do it all over again... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We started out with a 2006 Spirit Deluxe Casita 17 ft about six years ago, and its been perfect for our use, the fridge is a large one and works excellent, good for ten day trips no problem, furnace works great in cold weather, the air conditioner will cool one down fast if needed, bathroom is adequate, bed works for us as we are not tall, I have thought about a larger trailer such as the Escape 19 ft or 22.3 ft Oliver, but its a whole nother ball game towing and parking compared to our 17 ft, it fits in small spaces easily, granted its tight with two inside, we keep the main dinette in back as a permanent bed with memory foam mattress which is super comfortable, and use the side dinette for breakfasts, and evenings reading before bed, we don't think the tradeoffs are worth it to go bigger, loss of mpg with tow rig, less campsites we would fit in, we are very satisfied with our trailer.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Todd View Post
We are starting to think about our first small fiberglass camper purchase, and want to hear about your experiences! We have some camper experience, but would love to learn from all of you who have been in our shoes before we make the leap.

What camper did you start with and why? What did you learn? What would you do differently if you were to do it again? What should we be sure to consider before we buy? We are currently considering a "vintage" 13-footer in the realm of a Boler or Trillium.

Can't wait to hear your stories!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Check out the 2008 13 ft Scamp for sale in Colorado, on this site.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. C. View Post
We started out with a 2006 Spirit Deluxe C , we don't think the tradeoffs are worth it to go bigger, loss of mpg with tow rig, less campsites we would fit in, we are very satisfied with our trailer.
And we (being the proud owners of a SCamp13D) thought, you did go bigger!!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #24

Name: Jeanie
Trailer: Cloud
Minnesota
I just purchased a ten foot 1965 cloud for three hundred dollars but have close relatives and friends that weld, fiberglass and carpentry so after three months, I will get it on the road by spring. I am now down to wiring and finishing. I can't wait to go camping in May, sold my pop up so I've been tenting it . So I've been cold and wet at times here in Minnesota . I wanted old as I will tow it with my classic car. Live close to Scamp factory so it has alittle Scamp in it too!
Jeaniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #25

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
My adult RV experience starts and ends with my current Scamp, which I lucked into by word of mouth. I have done a ton of work (and spent a lot of money) on it but it is just right for my daughter, our dog, and I. I do sometimes have a bout of two or three footits but the 16’ Scamp really is the best rig for us and the way we camp. The first I ever heard of an FGRV was a 13’ U-Haul for sale locally before I found my Scamp. I am glad we ended up in the 16.

As a youth I of course camped many nights with the Scout troop on the cold, hard ground in just a tent, and had a great time. Dad had a slide in camper for his ¾ ton 4X4 and we enjoyed that as well as a Class C motorhome that came later. Mom, after the divorce, had a pop-up trailer and experience with that thing was enough for me to know I was not going to be popping, tipping, or sliding anything when I went camping. My daughter and I camped out of my pickup truck with a camper shell for a while when she was smaller. I built a platform in the back over the wheel wells and put a mattress on top and it was pretty comfortable. I did bang the top of the camper shell with my elbow every time I rolled over though. And the late night potty trips were not fun.

I say I lucked into the Scamp and I did, but I looked at and passed on a lot of stickies before finding our FGRV. None of the stickies felt right, or the condition did not match the price, or something. I am glad I held out for the right rig to come along.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #26

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up 16 ft

I like a 16 footer. we keep the bed set up all time. with side dinette we can set at the table and eat and play cards . if you look at the long run the table makes in to a bed for the kids. we need a bath room for the toilet getting older
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #27

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
This is a great site for information and opinions!

We used to tent camp but were starting to dislike the hard ground and the getting up in the night part of it. So we talked a bit about getting something like a Boler. Whatever we bought had to be small (no interest in a new vehicle). We wanted heat, light, some windows that opened and a three way fridge. Water wasn't necessary as we enjoy cooking outside and use the facilities of the campground we are at.

Someone mentioned that his friend a Boler like thing in his machine yard- hadn't been moved in years. He asked if it was for sale and the guy offered it to us for less than $1000. Turned out to be a Ventura - a bit scruffy but everything seemed to work. We bought it and took it to an RV repairman who checked the electrical and propane systems and upgraded as necessary. Used and enjoyed it a several years only adding a porta pottie.

When it became obvious that we liked using the camper but weren't terribly interested in fixng, upgrading etc we sold it (for a profit) and got a 13' Trillium.

On odd occasions we feel a bit tempted by a bathroom and more space, but not enough to spend the money on one and a new tow vehicle.

I'd advise thinking through what you REALLY want, what you would settle for and decide n a price range. From there on just keep looking and you'll find your new baby!

As someone said earlier - there isn't a perfect camper.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniet View Post
I just purchased a ten foot 1965 cloud for three hundred dollars but have close relatives and friends that weld, fiberglass and carpentry so after three months, I will get it on the road by spring. I am now down to wiring and finishing. I can't wait to go camping in May, sold my pop up so I've been tenting it . So I've been cold and wet at times here in Minnesota . I wanted old as I will tow it with my classic car. Live close to Scamp factory so it has alittle Scamp in it too!
FYI...What you have is a 13foot Cloud, the tongue is included in the measurement
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #29

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Wink

Hi Indiana Todd,
I purchased a 30 year old fiberglass 13 foot Burro when I retired. I like projects and have had a few in the years since my purchase. Every problem begins with the "should I buy a new one instead of getting into this again" discussion. Every problem ends up with the wonderful people on this site bumping me in the right fix-it direction. I like projects and so far, they have all been successes and every project makes me understand and love my little Burro more. I love camping - so the projects get pushed in the fast mode so I can go on the road! So, for me, Bennie the Burro is the ideal balance between camping and projects.
Sue
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #30

Name: Todd
Trailer: Boler
Indiana
Sue, that's an excellent point! Thanks so much for sharing

Indiana Todd
Indiana Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:48 PM   #31

Saskatchewan
If I'm completely honest and had to do it all over again....................
I'd hope to win a large sum of money so we could buy a spanking new tow vehicle (that ran well on fresh air) and a camper big enough for two to move in at the same time! I'd be delighted to have one with a space for a porta pottie so I didn't have to take care to step around it all the time (as it takes up a great chunk of the available floor).
Old 09-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #32

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151 - sold in 2018
Arizona
Registry
Thank you, Hazel! No matter how hard we try, not ALL of us can honestly say we can be completely happy with the smallest of trailers. If you can, great! I tried..... I really, really tried; but our 13 footer, cute as it was, lasted no longer than it took me to talk my DH into selling it. And the process can be stressful; it isn't something to be taken lightly. So, Indiana Todd, you are wise to do your research.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #33

Saskatchewan
I am happy with our wee camper - it was a good price and it works well enough for us. Seems like there is ALWAYS something bigger, fancier, more convenient etc. and conspicuous consumption is all around us. I learned way back in childhood that there is no point in crying for the moon!
Old 10-01-2015, 12:23 AM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Colorado
That's a great question. You could rephrase it, "What did/do you want in your second /next trailer."

My wife and I just became empty nesters. Our college girl might camp again with us, but not often. So our Scamp 16 is looking a little bigger than necessary. We might want to exchange that front bunk for a dinette, or a bathroom. And I'm still looking for a wider bed, where we don't have to sleep a'spoonin' all the time. So if we found a trailer with those features, I'd consider a trade.

Look at your own priorities. Do you need to park it in a small space, or fit a growing family inside? Would you rather have to cook outside. or have to pee outside? And always, how much weight should you tow?
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote