If you own 2 Burros, do you have a herd? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
OK, it pays to be bold.

For a couple years, I have seen a 17 foot Burro wide body sitting in front of a house in a small berg here on the mountain.

The first time I saw it, I pulled up, knocked on the door and handed the owner a card for MFROG and invited him to join. We chatted a bit, he told me it was his Dads and Dad gave it to him and he planned on taking it out lots. Nuff said, I went on my way.

Today I decided to stop by again to ask if he was willing to sell it, since it hasn't moved an inch since it first showed up.He said "Sure!" XX dollars and it's yours!"

So... I liked what "XX dollars" was and asked if I could look. Inside, I found a perfectly stock and pristine 1999 with EVERY ammenity that Burro had to offer.. Air, furnace, bathroom, water heater, city water, all original lighting, 3 way fridge, 3 burner stove that appears to have never been used, roof vent with Fantastic fan, 2 propane tanks with cover, cushions that look like no one has ever sat on them, fancy dan TV antenna, awning, outlets everywhere, inside and out, screen door.. effectively.. the works, including insulation.

I run 45 miles down the road to get Kurt to check the "vitals" as, I have never had a bath, tanks and what nots. We found all the propane stuff worked, all the lighting (12v) works and the infrastucture looked good, for the most part. We couldn't try the water. It has brakes, but they should be checked.

It will need to be jacked up and the wheels removed to get new tires. They have rotted to the core, sitting in snow at below freezing, then exposed to 100+ degree temps in the summer. It is located at almost 8000 feet, so the weather goes to extremes.It also has been sitting so long that the wheel on the tongue jack has sunk into the ASPHALT!

It also has a 6 pin round that has filled with dirt and snow and was not checkable. We can clean it out to see if it works later, or just get it out of there with temp lights.

I am already making plans to change the stark white doors to wood, and taking the carpet up to lay a wood floor.

The bed in back is WAY large (A queen) and I am actually thinking of turning that area into a living room and sleeping on the front guacho/dinnette.

It's basically a blank slate.. I am going to play!

Oh, yeah, once I see the title and pick it up, the Shady Bush will need a new home.. I'll keep you posted! He did not have the title on him, so I am waiting to actually see it before I close the deal, but it all sounds like a formality at this point! I even walked away with all the paperwork that came with the original buy, + a very interesting flyer on a dual axle Burro 21 foot! I will scan and post THAT later.

I took no pictures, but Kurt did. It's nothing special now, it's completely stock. Look in the albums, thats what it looks like now. Dirty from sitting, and dusty on the inside, but it won't even take elbow grease to get that gone.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Very cool. Congrates on the new trailer. I really like the 17' Burro. Very stylish!
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Wow Gina,

Good for you! How unexpected and exciting. Will your Element tow it? I would imagine you will feel like you have more space than you know what to do with.

Congrats!!
Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #4

Registry
No, The Element couldn't budge it. Since it has everything, I am guessing it is about 2500 or more. The Jeep will have no problems tho.

The coolest upgrade... a double sink! (Liz will shoot me!)
Old 01-29-2007, 12:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Wow Gina! That sounds so cool. That is such a cool find I'm jealous!

Can't wait to hear (and see) what you do with it. Can't wait to see (and hear) how you set it up for dry camping and solar, either! Or will this be Luxury Castle on Wheels, complete with throne and flying monkey servants to serve your every whim?

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:20 AM   #6

Registry
I am keeping my panels. I will need to install the low draw lighting, but thats not tough.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
SCORE!

WOOOHOOO Gina It's good to be a woman, we have a natural tendency to change our minds. First from wanting a BigFoot, to an iCamp and now the proud owner of a BURRO!!!

Just think of it as being the Shady Bush on steroids

Can't wait to see it at the Oregon Gathering, I'll bring you a Sweaty Betty to celebrate
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
SCORE! GOOD JOB GINA!!!

Two Burros is NOT a herd, it's a team. You'll need harness now.

You'll like it. A LOT! Let me know if there's anything I can help with. Per will also be an invaluable source of info!

You'll need a BRAKE CONTROLLER!!!! Get rid of the six pin wiring connector, and go with a Bargman seven pin on both the Jeep and trailer.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Way to go! I am so jealous. I love my 13' Burro, but I sure would like a bathroom! And a bigger bed.

CindyL
Old 01-29-2007, 07:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Another lesson about checking thoroughly, locally, when hunting for vehicles. Nearly all of the cars, trucks and trailers we have purchased have been with 1 1/2 hours of home.
Donna, you've got that right...Gina made a good score. It has been closed up so tightly that we really had to hunt to even find dust. I felt guilty walking inside without a Dust Buster to clean up my imagined footprints. I suspect the exterior will scrub nearly as clean, but it will have to be moved to warmer climes to accomplish that, (there is still some snow on it's roof and garden hoses are still frozen on the mountain).

Thanks, Gina, for inviting me to share your adventure. You've now entered the rarified atmosphere of those few who have multiple FGRV's. I think "The Shady Bush II" deserves at least one more trip for nostalgia's sake.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Congrats on your egg.. it will be great for you and the pupsters!! Cant wait to see pics!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
That's a BIG step away from the Little Joe. But probably in the right direction. You know what everyone wants now. Pictures, pictures, pictures.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Gina,
Congrats on your new rv ! Originally, we were considering a new 17 ft. Burro, the floor plan and width offered more walking around room than other makes. To our dismay, the factory was out of business. Now we will get a chance to see yours at the Oregon Gathering ! You will bring it won't you?? Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Congrats. The pups really enjoy the extra room. Mike B
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #15

Registry
Roger, I already have a controller, and digging thru this wad of paperwork, I found the receipt from when he had his van wired and controller installed. So.. I am assuming one of the pins on the 6 pin is a brake line.

The Jeep has a 7 pin, so it's either a matter of adapting down, or just putting a 7 pin on the trailer with one open pin. Thats how my 13 is now.

It'll be a wiring adventure for sure. I don't remember seeing a break away switch.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #16

Registry
Also, in reading through all this junk, it appears that this is the 20th anniversay edition.. in comparing to the last model posted on thier website.

I am not sure what makes it different than the 19th anniversary edition, but it sounds classy.

What I am pretty sure of, it'was delivered in Sept. of 99, so it no doubt was one of the last ones out the door.

It was originally ordered on my birthday Co-inky Dink?

I think not....

*insert Twilight Zone theme here*

Kurt, I was so excited and trying to be "cool" .. I don't recall, did you remember seeing a window over the sink? Seems to me there is a small one on that side, but it isn't in the literature or the order sheet. Maybe THATS the special edition?

I guess I should have taken pictures! Won't be able to see it in daylight again until next weekend. It's WAY at the top of the mountain, in the berg farthest away from everything and we are expecting snow this week. At 8000 feet, only the pros go up there.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #17

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Gina, Great Gobs of Dancin' Okra for you!
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:20 AM   #18

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Wow, Gina, Congratulations! Looks to me like you really hit the jackpot! I'm so jealous! No, wait.....I already have one. Strike that.

On the other hand it doesn's sound quite like a "blank slate." The factory wrote plenty good stuff on it already, so maybe it's more like "gilding the lily?"

How about bringing it up here to Portland so we can both work on it together (I can see running out of things to modify and enhance on mine, say, about 11 years from now. The prospect terrifies me.)

This probably means that I'll have to take back all the nasty things I've been saying about you.

Does this mean that you'll have to change one end or the other into a "slide-in" to fit in your driveway?

(If you have the flat cabinet doors, changing them to wood will of course be easy. Ours are curved and would be a bear to reproduce in wood. The kitchen window was an option, which we have, and it is greatly appreciated. It can be left open for ventilation and only a hamster can get in through it to steal anything.)

Shouldn't we have an official celebration or something?
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
This probably means that I'll have to take back all the nasty things I've been saying about you.
oh oh. DONNA! Full report!

Yes, these are the flat doors. I am happy about that! I will have to do some photoshop to decide the finish. I LOVE the maple in my 13, I will really miss that, but I also like the concept of knotty pine and a wainscot. That big blank wall at the entry that is the back of the shower/bath cries to be decorated somehow.

This thing even has some sort of special silverware drawer. I didn't actually see it, he has it in his garage, but will put it back in when I pick it up.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #20

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
That big wall needs something. In our case we have so far put a few hooks for jackets, Bear Spray, and what not.

On ours, the "silverware drawer" was a tray under the wardrobe. A joke, and I hope yours is a different arrangement. There is room for a couple of small drawers about where they should be. See picture.

I agree, maple is my preferred wood for this one. As I modify ours I will replace the mahogany stuff made from leftovers with maple. Also, you'll love the drainboard space.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen_drawers_edited_1.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote