Old 09-10-2016, 06:51 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug coleman View Post
Bunny
Help me out, Doug... I'm not getting it...

Old 09-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
I was relieved to find out that the campers were really burgled and not actually "robbed."

Old 09-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I was relieved to find out that the campers were really burgled and not actually "robbed."
LOL I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to make a big deal out of the terminology misuse myself. Nor did I wish to point out that she was only a suspect and there was no detail about why. Stating that someone committed a crime before they are convicted not only goes against the presumption of innocence that protects us all, it could even be libelous.

From the dictionary (emphasis added):
Robbery is the crime of taking or attempting to take anything of value by force, threat of force or by putting the victim in fear. At common law, robbery is defined as taking the property of another, with the intent to permanently deprive the person of that property, by means of force or fear.

If my state, robbery is always a felony. It sounds like the campground theft was a misdemeanor (or a few of them) although it could have been felonious burglary also.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #18

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Help! Police! I've been thefted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
LOL I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to make a big deal out of the terminology misuse myself. Nor did I wish to point out that she was only a suspect and there was no detail about why. Stating that someone committed a crime before they are convicted not only goes against the presumption of innocence that protects us all, it could even be libelous.

From the dictionary (emphasis added):
Robbery is the crime of taking or attempting to take anything of value by force, threat of force or by putting the victim in fear. At common law, robbery is defined as taking the property of another, with the intent to permanently deprive the person of that property, by means of force or fear.

If my state, robbery is always a felony. It sounds like the campground theft was a misdemeanor (or a few of them) although it could have been felonious burglary also.
While all of this is true (technicallly), in common vernacular we seldom say, "I've been THEFTED!" Altough, we might say "I've been burgled." If something like this happens, it is typical to say "I've been ROBBED."

---verb (used with object), robbed, robbing.
to take something from (someone) by unlawful force or threat of violence; steal from.
to deprive (someone) of some right or something legally due:
They robbed her of her inheritance.
to plunder or rifle (a house, shop, etc.).
to deprive of something unjustly or injuriously:
The team was robbed of a home run hitter when the umpire called it a foul ball. The shock robbed him of his speech.
Mining. to remove ore or coal from (a pillar).---

I haven't followed up on the news story, but my understanding was that this individual had been seen, and then was also connected with the individual on camera *thefting* businesses in town. There was more behind the story; this was just the initial report, and the photo was out in hopes someone could identify her.
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Unhappy Camping robbery

We visited the Monroe State Fair in 2009 and stayed at a friend's house in their driveway. For some reason, I just wanted to go home. When we got home, the security system indicated that the motion detector had gone off, but not the perimeter alarm. We walked through the house and didn't see anything amiss so finished our day and went to bed.
The next morning, I was fixing breakfast and noticed the sound of the kids at the school behind our house was unusually loud, like a window was open or something. Upon looking, I found one of the thermopane windows were smashed (see pictures). We didn't notice the previous day because the blinds covered it.
It turned out that the crook selected the one window whose detector was not working, slid the storm back, and smashed the thermopane. As he (she) was entering the house, the motion detector got him (her).
I tell you, that security system paid for itself that day.
Talking to the neighbors, they said, "Oh, yeah. Your alarm went off at 4am yesterday." But they never thought to call the police.
That alarm hurts your ears in the house.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_3360.jpg   DCP_3362.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #20

Name: doug
Trailer: ventura
Ontario
bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Help me out, Doug... I'm not getting it...
it`s from the old Bugs Bunny cartoon, Bugs & Daffy Duck are tunneling and get lost , Bugs says I must have made the wrong turn at Pismo Beach
Old 09-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #21

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
And just a month ago naysayers said there are no robberies in campgrounds.

Hi, Darwin,

A name of great honor and brilliance...

I remember that thread well, as I always fear, well, everything, BUT, as one of the naysayers myself, it wasn't the small stuff being stolen that I was denying. I think we all agreed that little things can be stolen, and often are. It's the TRAILERS that mostly don't get stolen. from campgrounds.

The trailer itself is statistically safer at a campground than in your driveway or on your property, and safer there than at a long-term storage lot. The most TRAILERS are stolen from long-term storage.
And even then, it's still fairly rare.

OK. As for someone robbing 10 trailers, I thought that meant someone STOLE TEN TRAILERS. No. 10 trailers were robbed. OK, I believe that. We do lock up, but we also carry almost nothing of much value. Well, let me be clear. We carry NOTHING of much value except our wallets, and those stay with us. We don't even have a portable radio in the rig, though now that I think about it...maybe that'd be nice.

ANYWAY, being robbed is always a shock, however large or small, a violation that can take some time to get over.

Hope everyone reconsiders their personal security and upgrades, if only just to make sure all locks are used.

Kai in Seattle
(Kathleen near Renton)