if you were gonna buy a new tow veichle, what would you buy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ken, Too funny! Never heard anyone call a airstream a money pit. But I am sure they can be. Just maintaining them would be a lot of money and work. They are sure pretty to look at though. You guy's will enjoy the Casita for it's ease of care and practicality. Enjoy! Robin

Old 01-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe sold it 2011
Hi there,

We are still towing with our 2001 Chevy Astro. Paid for, well-maintained (new differential two years ago in Iowa City. Stuck at nice campground for extra week). It has 137,230, not all towing of course, had about 70,000 when we bought the Casita. We hope to keep it towing for another 100,000 or so.

We would love better gas use, we average only about 15-17 mpg while towing, but we have a combined vehicle rating of 9500 and since we full-time we need what we got.

Joe and Melanie
currently at River Bottom RV Park
in Swansea, SC. Be here til spring, ya'll
stop on by.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #17

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
GM has some really great incentives on their trucks right now. They even have extra $$ if you already own a GM product. The biggest deals are on 2008 new vehicles. I would check out their offers before I would buy a used vehicle.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #18

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
GM products are hard on gas, mine gets only 13.6 average. Yr 2002 Envoy. I am very dissappointed in the mileage. Same whether I am towying my 16 ft Casita or not towing.
I just bought this one in July and will not keep it more than a couple of yrs because of bad mileage. Oh, not much room in it either for extras. I had a LOT more room in my mini van and much better gas mileage.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
You did not mention what engine and differential ratio you have in you 2002 Envoy. I know the V6 engine with high rear end ratio gets poor milage towing. The new V8 engine with 3.73 rear end will get much better milage, about 15.5 towing 17' SD at 60 MPH.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
No one has mentioned the Toyota Highlander yet, so I will. I really like my '08 AWD. Great car-like ride and handling, gets about 24 mpg on the highway or about 14 towing the Burro. 5000 lb. towing capacity with 500 lb. tongue weight. I know tongue weight might be the big factor to consider with your 17' Casita though, is it a deluxe? If it's over 350 lb. you might prefer using an equalizing hitch just to put more weight onto the Highlander's front axle. But I tow a cargo trailer for work 5 days a week and it's usually loaded to 3000-3500 lb with a tongue weight I'd guess at 400-450, and the Toyota handles it just fine. I can charge up just about any hill at 60 mph in 3rd gear without losing speed.

Coming up on the 30,000 mile mark soon. Wish I'd bought a Toyota sooner. I was a Dodge driver and then a Ford fan, but now I'm a Toyota touter.

But, of course, they don't come with OnStar, do they?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #21

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I used to tow with a Safarri van [4.3liter, 190 hp]but changed a few years ago to an 02 Dodge dakota with a small V8 [4.7 liter, 230 hp]. My mileage is actually better now and the trailer tows better. I think that has to do with the difference in wheelbase/overhang. My wife drives a 2000 Honda Civic, and we have been discussing down sizing to only one vehicle. We have decided that it would be either a Highlander or a Rav4. That'll decision will come down to cost at the time.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #22

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
No one has mentioned the Toyota Highlander yet, so I will. I . . .
Coming up on the 30,000 mile mark soon. Wish I'd bought a Toyota sooner. I was a Dodge driver and then a Ford fan, but now I'm a Toyota touter.
While heading to Yellowstone last summer we encountered a couple that pull their Scamp 16 (or was it a Casita 17? Hmmmm) with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. They were really happy with it as a TV, and equally thrilled with it as something to drive once they unhitched.

Don't really have a vehicular religion myself. When Lynne and I met I had a Geo Metro and Lynne a Honda Civic. Now we have a Hyundai Santa Fe and Toyota Corolla, plus a Ford Ranger. If we had to replace the SantaFe or Ranger right now we'd probably get a 4-door 5-cylinder Chevy Colorado. The Colorado is a comfortable run-about with decent gas mileage (17/23 mpg) and plenty of towing capacity (5000 lbs) to handle our 3000-3500 pound (ready to camp) Scamp 5th wheel.

That's if we had to buy today. Our preference, vehicle-wise, would be to wait a few years to see what new, more fuel-efficient TVs appear in the next few years.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #23

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Hello, been a while since I have been around. My computer bit the dust just before the Holidays so not only was I dealing with the hectic holiday season, I had to buy a new computer, which thank goodness came yesterday! I am back! LOL............ Anyway I have been thinking of buying a new tow veichle. Currently have a 2000 Chevy Z71 1/2 ton that I tow our 17 foot Casita with. Remember it's just me towing so I want a vehicle that has control, yet I want to downsize a little. Truck is fine yet a suv-ish isn't out of the question. It's not that my truck is fading, it's just it's 8 years old and due to Dh's health issues I want something that is newer with less chance of eventually having issues. I know newer doesn't always mean better. I just know chances are things are going to start becomeing issue with my truck and since I am sooooooooo not mechanical, I think having a newer vehicle is probabaly a smart thing for me. So anyone have suggestion of what vehicles to start looking at? That have the strengh/towability that will ease my nerves? I don't want something that the Casita out weights out controls. Honestly my current truck has always been a comfortable puller. Have yet to feel that the tow was in control versus the truck. But the truck is big and gas'y. So if you have a few suggestion for me, let me know. Thanks Robin

Would love another veichle with leather, heated seats. One thing I would really like is onstar. Help!
Robin I would buy a 3/4 ton pickup with a five speed automatic that had 450 ft/lbs of torque and got 30 miles per gallon of gasoline. That's what I would buy
Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #24

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape")
California
Registry
While I love my Sienna, if I were to get a new vehicle, I would consider a 2008 or newer Toyota Highlander because the towing capacity increased from 3500# to 5000# in certain configurations. However there is no sonar on it like my Sienna (it helps with the parking).
Happy hunting.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #25

Thanks for all the good sugestions!

30 miles to the gallon? hmmmmm don't we all wish!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Robin I would buy a 3/4 ton pickup with a five speed automatic that had 450 ft/lbs of torque and got 30 miles per gallon of gasoline. That's what I would buy
Yeah, I have one of those I want to sell ya... but it's a package deal, ya gotta buy a bridge too.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Yeah, I have one of those I want to sell ya... but it's a package deal, ya gotta buy a bridge too.

No thanks I will pass............. LOL
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #28

Quote:
I guess you'll get a lot of different answers for this question. It depends a lot on personal preferences. We bought a new to us 16-foot Casita about 6 months ago, and immediately began researching what would be best for our situation. We settled on and bought a Toyota Tacoma just a few days ago. With the 4.0 V-6 and 5speed automatic tranny and factory class 4 tow package it is rated to tow 6500 lbs.(650 lb tongue weight). It comes with the 7pin connector, under dash plug for the brake controller, extra trans. and oil coolers, 130 amp alternater and bigger battery.
My thoughts were, we needed a T.V. adequate for towing, and a nimble one while not towing, with resonable gas mileage for either.
This was just our choice, and there are a lot of other good vehicles available.
Good luck on your search

Harvey

Done deal, Bought it tonight!!!!!!!!!!! Yippeee Skippeee! I was only going to look, well.............. I bought it! The back up camera is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. And the little button that you push when going down steep grades (so wish I would have had that when I did that grade out of Yellowstone into Cody). Pick it up in the morning, could have taken it tonight, but I would just feel better taking it when I hand them the money. I am weird I know. Figured it was late, and I need to go to the bank, so I would rather have them ready it in the morning than last thing at night. Not overly thrilled with the color but they didn't have nor could they get the color I wanted the new brown so went with silver. It's just a truck! LOL. Robin