If you're looking for a used BigFoot.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
If you're looking for a used BigFoot....

you gotta be quick ! Just thought I'd mention this.... about BF 17s specifically.

I considered buying a used BF17CB that came up for sale in early September...when contacted the owner said he was going to be away for two days....when I got a hold of him again the trailer was sold.

The second one that came up for sale a month later... I bought it the following morning over the phone...and when I picked it up five hours later the owner told me he had got a call in the meantime offering him asking price...but lucky for he honored the deal we tentaitvely made over the phone (pending my inspection).

Another BF17 came up for sale this week...and the ad was pulled (sold) less than 24 hours later.

All three trailers were on Vancouver Island, mid nineties models, and listed on Kijiji....the first two (CBs) sold for 11,000...the third, a 94G, was listed at 10,500. Don't know what it sold for.
Attached Thumbnails
mort3.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
They do sell quick if reasonably priced. Looking for one for my mother last year, wanting around late 80's, and the only ones that lasted on a listing very long, were either over priced, or over abused. We did find her one, but my brother and wife headed for a 3hr (each way) trip to pick it up. She loves it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Franswa's experience is more typical than not. I once secured a deal within an hour of an ad appearing, drove 325 miles that same day to pick it up and, less than a few miles from the sellers house, got a call that he sold it to someone else.

It it's a good deal, and not 600 miles from my ex-wife/RV Buyer (Did I saw Prince George or Smithers, BC?) as 2 currently are, and the post is more than 3 days old, it's not yet a good deal, either price or condition wise.

BUT: Right now there is a nice, 2004, 17', Bigfoot, near Eugene, OR, that has had over 100 hits since it went up at 11PM last night. A bit pricy, but here it is:

2004 Bigfoot RV

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #4

Name: Darryl
Wisconsin
What are the problems of US resident buying a trailer (vintage say before 2009) from private party Canadian seller and the cost - legal paperwork of "importing" it to US. I read that it takes a Canadian RV dealer or import broker to make it happen. Any one comment on this issue?
DarrylScamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #5

Here's an article from <<<fiberglass-rv-4sale.com>>>

Importing Travel Trailer to United States | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

The biggest known rule is the 25 y.o. rule. Anything over 25 years old comes right in, any less than that have to be "imported" with documentation. If the builder is still in business they can sometimes provide the DOT certification needed. However, the new BigFoot company will not provide docs for those built by the old BigFoot company.
I think that about before 2010.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Here are a couple of previous threads on the subject of importing

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-us-49165.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...n-canada-35109.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-us-53566.html
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
2004 BF and cross border regs and hurdles....

that BF appears to be a 2500 series...so it's no surprise it's commanding a premium price compared to the numbers posted before.....I've only seen one of those for sale once and the price was way up there....

on the cross border front, the present US/CA dollar situation might be tempting to some....but some caution is warranted....although we are supposed to have free trade in used vehicles across the 49th....various jurisdictions on both sides of the border have put up barriers when it comes to registering (province or state) this protectionism is of course disguised as protection for the public at large....when it is really about specific industry groups protecting their turf.....so if you're thinking of taking ANY vehicle across the border you have to check the border issue AND the registering requirements in the destination jurisdiction.....and on top of that arrange for in transit insurance......not "easy, peasy" for sure...but every now and then you hear of somebody snagging a GREAT deal that way
Attached Thumbnails
church4.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #8

The problem in the U.S. isn't state at all, it's a Federal issue. As soon as it is legally imported (just like any other vehicle from anywhere) it can be registered in any state.

A good example of why this law exists is the many used Toyota RV's of all shapes and sizes that are imported into Canada from Japan that can't ever be imported or sold in the U.S.

Now, some states might be sloppier about what they require for registration, but it's still a federal law and, at least in the case of vehicles, some have been ordered exported or scrapped even years after they got a state registration somehow or another without being legally imported.

Where a few peeps have gotten into trouble, is when they bought a Canadian trailer that was already in the U.S., usually from a Canadian tourist that didn't know that you can't do that sorta thing, and found that they had to return the trailer to a Canadian port-of-entry and try too import it all over again.

We headed off a sale like that in Ventura, CA just last summer, a Canadian couple was wanting to sell their trailer on Craigslist because it was worth more down here and they didn't want to tow it back to B.C.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
I've purchased 2 used Bigfoots so far. The first one I had to travel 1200 miles to pick it up and the second one about 2000 miles. Both were purchased sight unseen with a deposit given. I've found that if you want one you have to be a little more aggressive with your approach.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
on the cross border front, the present US/CA dollar situation might be tempting to some....but some caution is warranted....although we are supposed to have free trade in used vehicles across the 49th....various jurisdictions on both sides of the border have put up barriers when it comes to registering (province or state)
Have done a little cross border shopping South to North with both a new car and a trailer and a number of friends who have done their new trailer shopping in the north and taken them south.

The warranty concerns you raise have been put in place by auto manufactures to stop Canadians from going into the US and buying their cars for way less than they pay for them here. You can register a brand new car purchased in the USA once it has gone through the RIV program, you just can not get warranty repairs done on it in Canada unless you have a permeant US address - you have to take the car back to a US deal for that work to be done.

Fortunately trailer manufactures don't seem to haven't gotten into such practises so the warranty issues do not come into play at least not with the two main Fiberglass trailer manufactures here in Canada. They do sell a lot of trailers into the south & both cover their warranty regardless of which side of the border the trailer ends up going. We have a number of US members here who have purchased new trailers in Canada and as far as I am aware any problems they have had under warranty have been dealt with by the manufacture. Normally the manufacture will make arrangements with a party in the state/area the trailer is to have the work done on their behalf.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #11

Ya But.... Trying to convince my ex to travel 600 miles to Prince George in February, and then another 1800 miles to bring a 17' BigFoot to SoCal didn't quite get the reception I had hoped for.

In fact, she said something like "If there's a ring in it for the delivery girl I'm on my way" ooops....

Old 03-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It it's a good deal, and not 600 miles from my ex-wife/RV Buyer (Did I saw Prince George or Smithers, BC?) as 2 currently are, and the post is more than 3 days old, it's not yet a good deal, either price or condition wise.
Bob, its pretty common for trailers in that part of BC to stay on the market for awhile in the winter months - and yes it is still winter in that area ... sometimes months! There may be nothing at all wrong with the trailers. A couple of very nice 17' Escapes come to mind last year. A friend picked one of them up after it had been on the market for a number of weeks. He got a steal of a deal on it - likes to brag that as far as they know they got a 17 for less than anyone else ever has. As you know those do not normally sit long. If I am not mistaken the seller of the other one had it brought down to the lower mainland (south) and it was gone REAL quick & it would not surprise me if it went for more than they were asking while it was still up in the North. The issue is that most of the population of the province lives in the South West..... few want to drive up to snow country & tow home a trailer through some pretty amazing passes when there is still the chance of snow.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
it all hinges on a cost/benefit analysis, Bob....

and to form an opinion we'd have to know how big the trailer was, how much was the discount compared to locally available similar unit.....how big the ring was and how much did it cost......how much was the price of gas back then.... and oh yeah, since we're talking SoCal show much did it cost to buy two snow tires for the TV......LOL
Old 03-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #14

To answer both #12 & #13

She has a 4x4 V-6 Nissan Hardbody and lives in Chelan so she knows about winter driving and is so equipped.

The trailer is a 17' BigFoot, at about 1/3 less than those further south and is over 25 y.o. and easy to import.

About the ring, last time she settled for a gold band but now that she's part owner of a winery up that way, I suspect that she will want at least a full 1 ct. as a first installment. But that's the cheap part..... lol

Old 03-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #15

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I have experience importing trailer that are 25 years or older. If new than 25 years it has to be inspected for Propane system and chassis hitch and brakes. So check with a Bigfoot Dealer in BC first to see if they will do the import paper work for you. You need the import paper in order to license it in the US. Buying Insurance in Canada is easy just go to a Insurance Office.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I suspect that she will want at least a full 1 ct. as a first installment. But that's the cheap part..... lol
Carrots are a vegetable and are going for about $2.99 for five pounds in Oregon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #17

The only connection I can see in that is that she would be happy to hand the Cabbie at London Heathrow a 5 pound tip and let him see her 1-Carrot at the same time.

Tags
bigfoot