Im giving up - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Registry
Im giving up

We have bought a Bigfoot 25c10.6 to use wile
Our BF 5th wheel is being rebuilt. Much to our surprise we love the camper so much we are giving up on the 5th wheel rebuild. Everything
In the 5th needs replaced!! Bad refregator,hot water heater, furnace, water pump. So what does
one do with a project once you learn you are in over your head & realize you have spent way more than you should have? Storage shed?
Any Idea's. Ken

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-354382097.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	58128
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
eBay?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Sell it for what you can get. It will be off your property and off your mind. Sometimes its better to just cut your losses and move on the the really FUN stuff like camping in a Bigfoot!! Good luck
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #4

Alaska
Registry
DW sugested we forget the appliance's in the 5th wheel and just turn it in to spare beds for when the grandkids are with us. I like this idea but how could I pull it behind the camper?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jr View Post
DW sugested we forget the appliance's in the 5th wheel and just turn it in to spare beds for when the grandkids are with us. I like this idea but how could I pull it behind the camper?
It was probably 10 years ago that we were in an RV park and saw a sort of cart thing that converted a 5th wheel to a pull-type trailer and they were going to try to market them, but we never seen or heard anything about them after that. So, where there is a will, there would be a way because we saw it!

Edit: I found this old thread here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eel-25839.html
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Put a hitch receiver on the 5th wheel, put the camper on a flat deck trailer, pull the camper behind the Fifth wheel. This would be legal where I am, YMMV.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #7

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
It was probably 10 years ago that we were in an RV park and saw a sort of cart thing that converted a 5th wheel to a pull-type trailer and they were going to try to market them, but we never seen or heard anything about them after that. So, where there is a will, there would be a way because we saw it!

Edit: I found this old thread here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eel-25839.html
after reading the old thread I'm a little confused as to what the tongue weight would be? Does any one know what the tongue weight is on a 84 BF 5th wheel is? And with no appliances would it be lighter?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm with the e-bay suggestion or the campers for sale section of this forum. A young person might well relish the project and not mind that it takes a few years to get everything working as long as they can get it to where they can use it in the meantime. 5th wheel with no hot water or fridge beats a pop-up with a porta-potti.

Post what is bad and good, some pictures. Subtract the cost of the bad from normal retail to set a fair price. May not break even but should put some decent cash in your pocket and make someone happy at the possibility of some sweat equity.

In that old thread seems like in the end everyone decided just not worth the trouble of making 5er into a trailer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #9

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
If your asking price is reasonable and you tell them the truth about what condition it is in - my bet is that it would sell. Some people enjoy fixing things, some people have other stuff in the yard or barn that would bring their costs down. Bottom line for me is - if you don't use it, don't want to pour more time/money into it - get rid of it.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Call it a 'project camper' on your ad. Some people eat that up
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
One super-sized chicken coop?

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Um... I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but this trailer has been for sale for more then a year:
1985 Bigfoot 5th Wheel - Edmonton Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.
This is the Spirit Wing model, loaded.
Also, being in Alaska might limit the market size. If you think it would make a good sleep cabin, I would go with that. A small electric ceramic heater will take the chill off. I don't think you should try to transport both of your RV's at once.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Put a hitch receiver on the 5th wheel, put the camper on a flat deck trailer, pull the camper behind the Fifth wheel. This would be legal where I am, YMMV.
Legal in Alberta? Only if the Bigoot fifth-wheel has tandem axles (some do). Sane and reasonable are, of course, unrelated to reality.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote