Importing from US to Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

Name: Gagan
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
British Columbia
Importing from US to Canada

Hello All

I've heard this is quite straight forward and just a matter of turning up at the border with the correct paperwork.
What about a temporary license in Washington? I take it I'd need some sort of plate on the back to drive on the road. Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers,
EasyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
We bought our Castita in North Dakota and towed it bad to Alberta. We had all the emails regarding the purchase and pictures of the serial plate when we crossed the border. We bought a temporary license sticker for it in North Dakota. Crossing the border we had to pay the GST on the purchase price less the amount that you can claim for the time spent in the US. Our trailer was over 15 years old we did not have to have an inspection or do the RIV program fees. The border folks will ask for any communication between you and the the seller so print out those emails(to prove the purchase price, not something you dreamed up for tax purposes). If it newer than 15 years you need to do a RIV inspection and I think its around $200 for the paperwork.

We could not find out if the temp license was valid in Canada so just towed it home and pleaded innocence

In ND you can even buy a temp license from a state trooper but we went to a license office. I think it was about 35 for a 2 month permit, which was just stuck in the back window of the trailer.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:14 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes, here is the link for the temp permit from DMV $30 valid for 3 days.
WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: Vehicle trip permits

Make sure the VIN is visible on the trailer and that it matches your paperwork.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #4

British Columbia
Fantastic thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #5

British Columbia
Just what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have done it twice now. Pretty straight forward. On a trailer of 15 years or older show up at the border with the following:

1) Bill of sale from seller
2) Copy of the trailers title - double check the VIN matches what is on the trailer.
3) Copy of the sales ad - Not required by they like to see it otherwise they make you wait while they go on line and search for it to make sure the Bill of Sale is factual.... they do not like to loose out on the taxes.
4) Get a temp Washington Permit...... but be warned its only good for liability not Collision. If you want collision you can get a rider for it from ICBC..... as it has not yet been imported and registered in BC your vehicles insurance will not cover it just because its attached to the vehicle.... if you use a private insurer for your collision on your car and not ICBC the odds are they will not cover it even if it was registered in BC and connected to the vehicle.... regardless of what you may have read on the internet ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #7

British Columbia
Thanks for all the info carol, very helpful.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Good luck! Biggest thing is to know what your local equivalent to our DMV (department of motor vehicles) requires. They know better than the border crossing guards. You kind of need to tell them what you need. I had to insist on my way back into the US that yes, they did need to look at my camper and go through paperwork.

When I called the Montana state office (the main office, not the local branch), the woman I talked to told me right off the top of her head what was required.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Good luck! Biggest thing is to know what your local equivalent to our DMV (department of motor vehicles) requires.
THE DMV in BC does not want anything regarding the a trailer entering BC.

The OP is importing a trailer 15 years of age or older so they will as stated earlier need to have the title document, bill of sale and the documentation from the Border showing they paid the GST at the border on it when they take it to our Provincial Insurance company (ICBC) to register and plate and pay them the Provincial tax owning on it though. Petty simple and straight forward.

There are different requirements for a trailer of less than 15 years of age, but again it does not involve DMV. It involves RIV (Register of Imported Vehicles).
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #10

British Columbia
Thanks. Happy camping.