Impulse Camping, or how long does it take you to get ready? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-14-2006, 06:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
I kinda did things in reverse. I kept a dry erase board for camping only and kept adding to it each time we camped and I forgot something I'd like. Worked very well when we eventually took our month long trip. I don't keep bedding/cushions/towels etc in the trailer, but they're all together in the same place, so easy to grab. Out time is under an hour too.
Christine

Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
we can be on the road in less than 30 min and at the camper we leave at the lake in 2 hours after we start driveing

Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 PM   #17

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Dan Cheats!

I have found good "dry" goods to keep in the trailer always include rice, Liptons chicken noodle soup and other dried soup mixes, mostly vegitable based, pasta, powdered milk, misc sauce mixes and Bullion Cubes if different flavors, saltines, instant shmashed taters and hangaburger helpless mixes.

With these items, you can make very flavorful soups, pasta dishes and side dishes, sans fresh meat. Sometimes, if it's a quick trip, I skip the store altogether.

One of my favorite dishes is simply spaghetti in the Liptons soup mix. Simple, lots of flavor, and easy to make.

Saltines make your soups a bit stouter, even when they have staled, Adding rice works great too.

I just use some of the same recipes I HAD to use during my young adult starving student days.

These items got me thru a couple days at Heartbar when we were all to lazy to drive the 20 miles to Big Bear. (That changed quickly when the Dr Pepper ran out tho)
Old 11-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I kinda did things in reverse. I kept a dry erase board for camping only and kept adding to it each time we camped and I forgot something I'd like. Worked very well when we eventually took our month long trip. I don't keep bedding/cushions/towels etc in the trailer, but they're all together in the same place, so easy to grab. Out time is under an hour too.
Christine
Thank you for all the ideas. I like the Dry Erase Board idea.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Small RVs are notoriously short of space for stuff like dry erase boards. We changed the front trim panel in the door of our refrigerator to a blackboard, made by just painting a suitably-sized panel of 1/8" hardboard with special blackboard paint; I think that a dry erase board could be used as a door panel in the same way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blackboard_300x400_80.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	5522
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I have an advantage in this matter. My Scamp stays packed for the road, because there's really no place to unpack it to. I have no garage, and little storage in the converted barn we call home. The cellar is my best storage, but that requires me carrying the gear in the front door, through two narrow doorways, out the kitchen door and down several stairs- after I open the tornado-shelter-style cellar door. So the Scamp has become my handy utility shed to store camping and sports gear. In fact, next time I take it out, I might need an extra 15 minutes to unpack it a bit.

What slows me down is assembling the toiletries, cameras and personal items. And food, you say? You can buy that on the way, and help out the local economy of some little town you pass through.

If I faced Gina's wildfire danger, no doubt I'd be more organized!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #21

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
That readiness will come in handy for me this a.m.

I have to hitch up this morning to take the trailer down to work for a long term project requiring me to be availabe at a moments notice. The best and least expensive way for my company to have this to happen is if I live in my trailer close to the job site.

Instead of futzing around getting the trailer ready for a tug, I am enjoying my coffee in my house and only require the extra time it will take to attach the Burro to the car.

It's not exactly what I had in mind for a campout, but it beats living in a hotel. I will have my own space and comfy bed, so the gig won't seem as grouling.

Now, tugging thru LA rush hour drive time isn't thrilling me, but I will get over it.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #22

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Hi Ya,ll I do different types of camping. Hunting camp, fish camping and bluegrass festival camping as well as travel camping so I have several plastic totes with lids which I keep all my stuff in. One for clothes, one pots ,dishes and silverware etc. one for portable stove and lantern with small propane tanks and extra mantles. One for small items like tools, whetstone ,batteries knife, small axe and saw and dozens of other essentials.
I keep these totes stacked in the garage and load them in the truck or trailer, whichever
is needed. Then all I have to do is pick up food and water and away I go. Bill
Old 12-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #23

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
I can see where it would be possible to be on the way in 30 minutes to an hour ... BUT Jim won't take the trailer out on a trip unless he checks everything. Air in tires, dump old water and add new, check propane level, check battery, etc... He also check tires etc on our Odyssey and fills with gas.. and then hookup.

I, in the meantime, settle the house .. and pack the inside of the trailer ... Bedding is in the trailer, but clothes, food, towels, etc... need to be added. So there isn't anyway that we can do it in 30 minutes to an hour. (Unless in case of a fire or emergency - then we would just hookup, grab our kitten "Jerry" and go.. )

This takes time and I'm wondering if you do this too or do you just chance it??
I will say when we pullout - we feel pretty darn safe and ready for our trip.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Okay, here's my question. Have you ever come home from work, not planned to go camping, but decided spur-of-the-moment to hit the road? No reservations made. Just grabbed a few vittles, your cell phone and left? I'm asking because I am trying to plan on how to make Dumplin' ready to go at all times (clean clothes, towels, dishes stowed). I can see myself wanting to do this, especially after a trying week at work!

So, I would love to hear about your experiences and also how "ready" your egg is for travel. Thanks in advance - love the forum!

Many happy trails ya'll.
My wife keeps our Casita stocked and ready to go almost all of the time. Until I winterized it a few weeks ago, it would be loaded with all the staple goods you need for food, and even now it has a couple of changes of clothes for both of us, and we never take out the cook utensils, etc. We mainly cook outside when we go camping, and the Coleman stove we use is always at hand.

We have taken a couple of spur-of-the-moment trips, and it only took a few hours to get going. We bought food on the way to our destination.

Back in the days when I was a backpacker, I'd often take off within a couple of hours of deciding to go backpacking somewhere. Much easier when everything you take fits in your backpack.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
We typically leave our Scamp loaded, except for our current clothes we would take. Always have at least a couple weeks worth of pasta, rice mixes, ramen, bouillion, teas, coffee bags, crackers and the new mashed potato mixes. Keep a bottle of white and red wine usually, some single malt, propane is always topped off as is water on our returns.

When we decide to go, grab a package or two of elk or deer steaks out of freezer and some ground venison and we are good for days. It takes us longer to come back--air out sleeping bags, dump trash and do dishes. Then reload to be ready.

Usually we can be gone in less than an hour. Clothes, rods, bows, dogs, cooler.

We keep a list going of what we need to add

Typically we start in the spring in mid to late March and go to late November or so and get out about ten times a year, from two to tens days at a throw.

Will get to the remodel yet this year, then more storage. And we will have the drift boat or the gregor behind the Scamp this spring.

Garo
Old 12-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #26

Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I can see where it would be possible to be on the way in 30 minutes to an hour ... BUT Jim won't take the trailer out on a trip unless he checks everything. Air in tires, dump old water and add new, check propane level, check battery, etc... He also check tires etc on our Odyssey and fills with gas.. and then hookup.
The first trip of the year (or if I haven't camped in awhile) I do a very thorough check before I leave (but it's usually the weekend before). After that, tires, water etc are checked when I get home as part of my 'restocking' ritual.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I too, keep my Scamp fully stocked with everything but perishable food and some clothes.

The items I carry in the tow vehicle are stored in the garage in a specific place. I all have to do is load them, grab some food and clothes, my dog and I'm on my way in about 1/2 hour.

When I arrive back home I immediately take out the perishable food and dirty clothes. After washing the clothes, the sheets and towels as well as underwear/socks go back into the Scamp.

I keep a tablet labeled "Trailer" in the Scamp and as I find I use an item or it's getting low I note it in the tablet. Usually it's not long after I arrive back home from a trip that I'm reviewing the list and restocking.

Prior to a major trip I thoroughly go through each cabinet in the Scamp to either add or sometimes remove items.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote