In response to the Rudolph thread and other polictical stuff - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
In response to the Rudolph thread and other polictical stuff

From time to time there are posts here that border political in nature whether intentional or not, jokingly or seriously in nature. I being an avid fiberglass rver do see some political threads which are beneficial and related to or have a direct impact on the rv lifestyle of particular importance to the rv community. I myself am guilty of a political post or two. While I respect the editorial aspects of the forum moderators, I do think that a certain amount of free speech, politically speaking, should be allowed for the specific benefit of how it relates to the rv community and lifestyle. With that said, I would ask that the moderators consider adding a specific forum category specifically for posts of this nature. This allows those users who don't want to partake in such political nature the option to not go to that category while allowing an open door those who wish to partake. Any post anywhere else can be simply relocated to that category rather than delete or close it...If you are a member here and support this idea please post so below so the forum moderators can consider those who support the freedom of speech regarding political posts related to the fiberglass rv community and lifestyle. Have a great day!
Old 12-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Sorry John but I think politics and religion are two areas to avoid on a forum specifically dedicated to the care and feeding of fiberglass RVs and there owners. The pot boils over too much for my taste as things are, no need to turn the heat up. Raz
Old 12-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This forum is not a public space. It is privately owned and controlled by the Community Rules (see bottom of the screen). It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I clicked something acknowledging that when I activated my membership.

Here's an excerpt:

"Our philosophy is that we want the forum to be an online reflection of the RV'ing community. Treat each other with respect, just as you would around a campfire. Here are some general guidelines that we expect you to follow:
  • Our rules extend to all sections of the website including messaging functions, galleries and any other public or private posting.
  • Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
  • Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
  • Do not post the same discussion topic more than once or in several areas of the forum.
  • Participants may not post or bump threads to pad post counts. Bumping is posting useless information, posting one-liners or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot.
  • Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.
  • Posts containing vulgar language that are overly explicit or obscene, images or links to websites with adult content/images are not allowed.
  • Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.
  • Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account.
  • Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.
  • Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants may not post affiliate links or links to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest, including informational pages unless a vendor account has been established.
  • Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness."

We are all free to set up and fund our own websites where we can say anything we want.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Okay guys point taken. All I was saying was to allow political posts that specifically relate to the rv community that have some benefit here i.e. legislation that affects the rv community
Old 12-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Okay guys point taken. All I was saying was to allow political posts that specifically relate to the rv community that have some benefit here i.e. legislation that affects the rv community
The last blue highlighted bullet in the forum rules indicates political topics are allowed if (1) they relate to all-molded fiberglass towables, and (2) they do not become "disruptive," meaning rude or uncivil.

There have been a number of threads, for example, about governmental regulations related to tiny houses and RVs as alternatives to traditional housing. Some went on undisturbed for quite a while.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I can see both sides and I personally do not like to get caught up (and wont if I can help it ) in these endless debates.

However! IF a moderator is going to close a thread because of it (crossing a religious or political line), then DELETE it! That thread, I would like to throw another "perspective" at it but cant and it's still there for all to see. So, if that "crossed the line" to which it obviously did to "Jim", then he should delete it in my opinion!

And hopefully, this will get posted before he/she closes this one as well!
Old 12-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I can see both sides and I personally do not like to get caught up (and wont if I can help it ) in these endless debates.

However! IF a moderator is going to close a thread because of it (crossing a religious or political line), then DELETE it! That thread, I would like to throw another "perspective" at it but cant and it's still there for all to see. So, if that "crossed the line" to which it obviously did to "Jim", then he should delete it in my opinion!

And hopefully, this will get posted before he/she closes this one as well!
I agree with my friend Darral.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
The problem with forum areas for hot topics (like politics) is that they ALWAYS end up in heated discussions and polarize the community. This slops into other sections of the forum and this is the reason for the site rules we have in place. There are lots of great places in the ether to discuss politics and religion and these other topics but the thing this community shares in common is Fiberglass RVs. Let's focus on that which binds us and not the things that divide us.

Thanks for understanding.
Closed Thread