Incinolet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I'd like to write a company slogan for this product.

Incinolet
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I somehow do not want to be sitting on a 120v toilet

The concept is actually great, yes, poo does burn. I have used cow chips in my woodstove before.. it burns nicely, and does not stink. But.. granted, it probably is a much different composition than ours.

At 1700 bones for this thing, might as well burn dollar bills i!!!!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #3

Gina,
The bright side if a tragic accident occurs would be that Jay Leno would read your obit on the Tonight show. You'd be famous!
Old 01-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Family Pet Funerals: From Burial at Sea to Cremation.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Family Pet Funerals: From Burial at Sea to Cremation.
I've read your posts in the past.... I'm even more concerned now.
I think you need professional
Old 01-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Reading the product's website led me to two interesting facts:
  • someone out there buys a $1700 toilet, and then thinks it makes sense to fold and glue their own liners for it to reduce the cost from 9 cents per use to 4.5 cents; and,
  • this is not for boondockers, taking up to a full 15 A for an hour for each use, and the manual says you need at least a 20 A circuit.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
A friend of mine had one of these in her home, and $1,700 bones is one heck of a lot less expensive than the alternative bathroom fixtures, sewer line and septic system that she didn't have to install for black water. RV use is an entirely different story.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #8

Registry
Incenerator toilets have been around for at least 40 years. It was in the late 60s when I first saw one. Portland Oregon has a number of house boats on two rivers. When it was outlawed to dump raw sewage into the rivers the choices were few. The house boats are below the sewer lines. To connect into the sewer lines underground holding tanks had to be put in place and pumps installed. It was much cheaper to get an incerator toliet than all the plumbing and contractors and permits, etc. The ones I saw were gas fired. The only caution was you needed to wait a bit after somebody had used the toilet before the next use, or suffer the effects an elevated temperature which might impare your ability to sit comfortably.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
well! Knowing that just burns my backside!

Actually, thanks for the idea. I have been toying with alternative housing and the sewer is one issue to be overcome. This may be a viable alternative for a single or two person household.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
well! Knowing that just burns my backside!

Just don't sit down too soon and you'll be ok.

Speaking of alternatives. In a fixed location like a cabin the composting guys work pretty good. There's a little cabin up on the Molalla River that has one. The toilet is rather larger, but there no oder and the compost is just dumped in the woods for mother to take care of.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Reading the product's website led me to two interesting facts:
  • someone out there buys a $1700 toilet, and then thinks it makes sense to fold and glue their own liners for it to reduce the cost from 9 cents per use to 4.5 cents; and,
  • this is not for boondockers, taking up to a full 15 A for an hour for each use, and the manual says you need at least a 20 A circuit.
I need to weigh in here a little. When we bought our houseboat (yes it is molded fiblerglass) it had one on it. I thought to myself boy this is going to be interesting.

We use ours for full weekends with our two sons their wifes, and the grandkids; 10 in all. It puts a stain on it for sure. It runs pretty much constantly. There is no smell, and you do not need to wait to use it after someone has finished. There is no heat or warmth that you feel. We find the it needs the ash emptied every three people. It is quiet and very clean. The advantage is we don’t have a black water tank to constantly find a place to have to empty.

We have a 3000 watt, Kipor, electric start, generator on the houseboat. Being in the middle of the lake with no shore connections, it is very much like boondocking. 2.5 gal. of gasoline (a full tank) lasts all weekend. While running the toilet, we also run the microwave, or any other appliance as needed.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Good point, Mike: it can work while boondocking. I should have said it is not ideal for boondockers; I, for one, would not tolerate the idea that the generator needs to start every time someone uses the toilet, or that I need a 3000 W generator, but if those things fit in well with your camping style then the incinerator toilet might be a logical choice.

Mike, as I read your description is sounds like the generator must run almost continuously (at least all day, but presumably not all night) to keep up with the toilet; the toilet heater will cycle on and off to maintain incinerating temperature (as described in the manual), but will be on most of the time. Even if there is little power draw, the generator would need to idling to be available, to keep the toilet fan running, and to avoid resetting the incineration timer. Is this correct?

I suppose that the microwave is a similar situation, except that it would typically be used for much shorter periods of time, so it might work without necessarily starting the generator, by using an inverter.

Maybe a propane-fired incinerator toilet is the solution?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #13

For us it is easier to carry a 2.5 gal gas can to the boat then 70 lb. propane bottles (7.5 gal size). Gasoline = less then $10 for the weekend and all the electricity we want.

The generator does run pretty much all day on eco mode. The generator is located on the bow and so being a Kipor inverter type we can’t hear it from the fan tail (stearn) or inside the houseboat. When we have the whole family, who knows when the toilet will need to run, someone want to microwave something, the radio playing. Hey, it’s a party boat. The idea is to make it a great time for Grandparents, daughter-inlaws, sons, & grandkids. Both our sons have water ski boats and can come tie up along side. No need to make reservations during the summer or try to find a place to combat camp along the shore.

We also have a 50 watt solar on the boat for keeping the 6, 12 volt batteries fulling charged, at all times, so the engine will start and we have all the 12 volt systems working.

I would have never bought a toilet like this, but I am surprised how well it works and fits this situation.
Attached Thumbnails
houseboat.jpg  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #14

The Incinolet came to my attention for a cabin that is set half way down a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. A standard drain field system would need to be pumped up the slope and then under a road to the tank and field. The pump system and overflow containment system is near impossible to get approval for being lakeside. Hauling ash out is by far their best solution. The Rv model may be someone's best solution even at $1700. Costs are always relative.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #15

Our houseboat is our cabin by the , er I mean cabin on the Lake.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I've read your posts in the past.... I'm even more concerned now.
I think you need professional
. . . But the court-ordered psychologist said I was "within psychological norms."
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #17

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
Quote:
. . . But the court-ordered psychologist said I was "within psychological norms."
There's a lot of grey area in there, buddy. Back away from the incinerator!!
debbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I fired mine years ago. Best thing I ever did!
Old 01-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Up until a couple of years ago, my personal library included an owner's manual for a '72 or '73 Airstream...in it was described an optional sewage system that looked pretty complicated.

If I remember correctly, the trailer had a macerating pump that drew from the black tank. When you hitched up to your tow, you had an extra line (sewage) to hook up.
Once underway, the trailer would pump the (now liquid) sewage to a contraption fitted to your car's exhaust system, using that as a heat source to burn it away.

I forget what the final form of the waste was (ash?) and what ultimately became of it.

My Dad says he vaguely remembers this option and doesn't think they sold many. None of his Airstreams over the years had it.
I wonder if it actually worked for anybody who had it.

I'm pretty sure you could also just dump the tanks in the conventional manner on the trailers with this system.
Anybody remember any more info about this?

P

ps I don't have a slogan for the Incinolet, but how about a song for a TV ad?

Heeey good lookin', Whaaat 'cha got cookin'....
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #20

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
I don't know about a jingle, but consider scripture if you tend to loiter on the incinolet:

While I was musing the fire burned.
Psalm 39.3

DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote