inflatable boat/canoe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
I'd like to get some input. Is anyone using an inflatable boat $200-$500? Do you like it? How is it holding up? Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks,

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I'd like to get some input. Is anyone using an inflatable boat $200-$500? Do you like it? How is it holding up? Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks,
Art
An inflatable boat in that price range is simply a host of compromises. And, it all depends what you plan to do with the boat.

I have a one man pontoon boat for fly fishing. It can be rowed or I can use flippers. Although it is inflated, it remains inflated year round since that's easier than packing a pump and assembling it every time.

I have a 16 foot canoe. I have paddled whitewater and lakes with it. It is also a compromise since it does both, only adequately. However, it's more romantic for two for a sunset paddle than having the Old Bag swim alongside the pontoon boat.

I had a 13 foot whitewater canoe, designed to surf waves, turn on a dime and be incapable of travelling in a straight line.

So, in order to help, you really need to tell us what you plan to use the boat for.

baglo,
Old 12-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #3

Thanks Glenn,

What I'm looking for is something that I can store in the camper, and on occasion get it out, set it up in 15 minutes, and my wife and I take it in a lake, stream, ocean, the gulf or a pond. It doesn't need to be fast. Basically just want something we can "putz" around in. The Sea Eagle 330 or 370 seems real interesting.

Art
Old 12-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Have you considered a Fold-A-Boat. The guy parked next to me a Matagorda Madness had one and it seemed the perfect thing for camping.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Quote:
Have you considered a Fold-A-Boat. The guy parked next to me a Matagorda Madness had one and it seemed the perfect thing for camping.
After reading the first post I immediately thought of one of those. Never a fear of a puncture while out on the water. My best friend has one, and they're great.

Inflatables (while perfectly safe) always remind me of Sylvester the cat.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
We have 4 duckies (inflatable kayaks) that can be taking out on a lake or go down stream. They are the better AIRE brand of rubber duckies. We would be interested in selling one or two of them.
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Viking
We bought an inflatable about five years ago used it 25 times and like it. If i was to buy another one I would look at a brand called Sea Eagle they have alot to choose from. I think they start out around three hundred dollars and pack up small.I think the one we have is a Stren. The kids feel safe in it because it is very stable. We also do alot of fishing in it. We can fit two adults in it. I would like another one some day.
mark Gustof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #8

Just took a trip north and talked to some old guy in a red suit with a white beard. He said he would send me a Sea Eagle 370 on Dec 25th. Real nice guy, glad I talked to him.

Art
Old 12-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Your link went to "Porta-Bote" another folding boat design. There is another, older brand, "Folbot" which has a site here. They're made in Charleston SC.

My uncle had a Folbot from the early '60's & kept it at his little lake cabin in southern Indiana. It was a great two-person boat that stores in a dufflebag. Rugged, dependable, and could carry 300 lbs in 4" of water. I can't recommend any higher.

A bit pricey, but if your into portable, packable kayaks, Folbot's are the best you can get.

ConwayBob
Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
While camping I went to the dock area to unload my canoe from atop the pick-up. there I met two men trying to assemble a Porte Bote. I watched for a few minutes and then went back to getting my paddle and fishing gear before striking out for the lily pads looking for largemouth Bass. About twenty minutes later the two guys came gingerly up the lake not making too many quick moves since they had very little freeboard. Shortly after they returned to shore and spent another fifteen or twenty minutes dismantling their boat and putting it back onto their van. It did collaps down to about the size of a big surf board but I could have strapped down a small canoe in the same space. I don't think that they had a lot of fun. I got the impression of small. not a lot of capacity, cramped for two and awkward to assemble. I have seen a Folbot out in Georgian Bay handling waves as well as any sea kayak could.
My personal favorite is a 17'-6" cedar strip canoe weighing just a tad over 60 pounds. It's easy to lift on and off the truck or van and easy to handle tandem or solo.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote