Inflatable Kayaks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Sea Eagles, from what I gather, are good. But it depends on how you plan to use it. Around here, most people who run rivers with any kind of rapids use something more like these:

Tomcat

They are, from my research (I was very close to trading in my canoe for an IK to save space), the entry-level whitewater kayak. Made to take as much of a beating as any inflatable out there, just stripped down and more affordable.

But if you plan to be out on lakes or large, slow moving rivers, any of the Sea Eagle or Advanced Elements or similar kayaks should work. You should be able to find plenty of advice where you live. Lot's of hardcore outdoor folks in Utah. Visit a sports store.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #22

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
I had a Tomcat and loved it. I did a 5 day trip down the Main Salmon River with it and didn't take a repair kit because of its outer shell/inner bladder construction. Duct tape and needle and thread would be all that is needed.

I subsequently upgraded to an IK that is half the weight and twice the cost. It can't be repaired as easily as the Tomcat but I still never take a repair kit. They are almost indestructible.

I have hard kayaks and inflatable kayaks and they all have their place. The one major drawback of IKs is that they are blown around a lot more by wind.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #23

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
In the past I have read favorable comments from owners of those basic Sea Eagle kayaks. The people were happy with them. If you want one that paddles faster and tracks better and theoretically should last longer, Sea Eagle makes some better models like the FastTrack and the PaddleSki. But if you just want something basic and affordable to start with, that 370 should give you a decent experience IMO. Be advised that there are one or two internet dealers who'll sell most of Sea Eagle's kayaks for $50 or $100 less than Sea Eagle themselves, and it's simply drop shipped from Sea Eagle when they put in the order for you. Like this one:
https://inflatableboats4less.com/product/sea-eagle-370/
No real downside to saving a few bucks on one of these.

I was looking hard this spring at getting either an SE9 and trolling motor or a FishSup. In the end I chose to buy a Vilano Navigator sup on Amazon and a Deluxe High Seat (about 10" sitting height) from Sea Eagle, and powering it myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010968crop-sm.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	130603

I can stand up and paddle, sit and use a kayak paddle, or sit and use a canoe paddle. I took it out earlier this month on a few small lakes and on Lake Michigan, and I was surprised to discover that the (48" overall length) wooden canoe paddle was more fun and more effective for me to use than the yak paddle. The 30" wide sup lets me get the paddle vertical in the water without a need to lean over; this would never work on an inflatable kayak that has wide side tubes. It was nice to be able to stand awhile, then sit awhile, then stand awhile, etc. whereas in my previous two kayaks I never felt secure standing up and I'd get too stiff from sitting for too long. I wholeheartedly recommend the deluxe seats; they are very comfortable and give great back support (which my previous kayaks lacked).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: Oliver
Utah
Thanks to all for your comments. We do not plan to use this kayak for whitewater, but for leisurely paddles on lakes. A friend is loaning us an inflatable and we will give it a spin this weekend.
DavidJS is offline   Reply With Quote