inflatable watercraft - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
inflatable watercraft

Hubby and I were chatting about our upcoming trip and decided that although we want the ability to get out on lakes and streams we don't want to put up our gas milage very much. So we started to wonder about buying another 'something' - we alrady have a couple of canoes and a kayak. We thought a kayak would suit us more than a small boat. Does anyone have any information/experience with inflatable kayaks they would be willing to share?
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Have you looked at the foldable pakboats. They're supposed to be bulletproof.
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennco View Post
They're supposed to be bulletproof.
That would be handy when duck hunting.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #4

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I asked the same question in this thread starting with post 35. Good recommendations here.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...o-55057-3.html
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
Thanks for the suggestions and the link. I KNEW there was a discussion that included inflatables - my memory didn't tell me that I'd posted on it though!

We are still thinking - the ones that look 'better' cost more dollars than we were expecting. I'd hate to buy a flimsy thing and finish up leaking air and going for a swim in a stinky march.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
That would be handy when duck hunting.
Especially if duck hunting with Dick Cheney.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
The Sea Eagle seems fairly popular. Their 'sport' model is a couple hundred bucks. Figure that they won't track as well as a regular kayak, though. And most any inflatable IMO can only be depended on for 5 to 7 years (sure, some people get lucky and have them last 20 years) before you have start worrying about leaking at the seams. Once that happens they're pretty much junk.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've thought about these. Folbot
They're pretty expensive.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might want to give some thought, and maybe do comparative a test run or two, using the craft you already have, to see just how much the boat(s) actually affect your mileage. After 1000's of kms. with two 17' stitch-and-glue sea kayaks racked on a variety of vehicles, I don't see all that much difference - maybe a litre per 100 kms., or about 10% more - I'd pay for an awful lot of fuel with the money a couple of decent inflatables would cost. The low-end ones range from being glorified pool toys to pretty poor paddling machines. Adding another 'real' kayak, getting a double, or using the canoe would be my first choices, unless I was willing to spend some serious money for serious inflatables. You can sometimes luck into a decent used FolBot folding kayak...

Mind you, the above comes from someone who does 95% of his paddling on cold, cold salt water, bundled up like the Michelin Man in a drysuit and layer upon layer of polypro and merino wool...your environment and needs may differ...
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #10

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
I have an AIRE Super Lynx. It's an inflatable tandem Kayak/Canoe that will hold 2 people, a big dog and some camping gear. The AIRE models are not pool toys. They are expensive but also come with a 10 year no fault warranty. The Super is big. Almost 15ft and weighs a good 40lbs or so. I love the thing but it's a little too much for a single. Wife insisted on a tandem but after one day on a lake she doesn't want anything to do with paddling in the sun all day. I wish I'd have gotten a two singles instead of the tandem but it is fun when I want to go fishing and carry everything but the kitchen sink. Would also be easy to mount a trolling motor on. They are very stable, you'd have to really work at it to flip it. Packs into a 20 gal plastic tub.

Super Lynx HERE
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #11

Saskatchewan
Hubby used to own a Folbot many years ago - it wasn't a folding one though, and was quite heavy for its size.

Today we bit the bullet and ordered one of these

http://www.innovakayak.com/store/store.aspx#ecwid:category=184323&mode=product&prod uct=8655283

Never having seen an inflatable canoe/kayak in use complicates things a bit, hopefully this will be suitable for us!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #12

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Looks like that should work. Innova makes good stuff. No question there. Weighs a lot less than our AIRE..
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #13

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
We have a single and a tandem from Advanced Elements. For slow rivers, lakes and bays they are PERFECT (for our needs and uses). They are the most affordable 'good' inflatable kayak we could find. It is not a glorified pool toy...It is also not a stitch n glue sea kayak.
Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote