Info for Canadian buying a US camper. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #1

Name: Mel
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel
Nova Scotia
Info for Canadian buying a US camper.

Going to the USA to buy a used Scamp trailer and bring it back to Nova Scotia. Besides a VISA and the courage to go through with the frustration of the wild money exchange, and Gov. regulations, were do I get necessary reliable info, and things to watch for that may not be in that info? Any 25 year clause on US trailers?
Mel Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Mel, your link appears to go nowhere, but I've not heard of any changes affecting the purchase or importation of used travel trailers.

I believe you meant to say "passport," not "visa." My recollection is the age at which a trailer is considered "vintage" and doesn't have to be certified as meeting Canadian transportation requirements is 16 years going north into Canada. The 25-year rule applies to trailers coming into the US.

The place to star your research would be your provincial vehicle registration office and the Canadian Border Services Agency.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
Importing trailer to canada

We just did this last month with a casita which we brought to ontario from Michigan.

1. Have bill of sale. This determines the taxes.😊

2. Have title signed by the owner.

3. We did not need plates for Michigan. We had 3 days to drive it home. We DID make sure we had insured it by calling our car insurance provider.

4. At the border we supplied the title and bill of sale. We then paid the federal portion of the hst (5%?).

5. We then went to the nearest license office (sarnia) and got a plate. We then paid the provincial portion of the hst (8%).

6. A few weeks later we get a notice from RIV in the mail telling us to go on line, fill in a form with info off the manufacturer's plate, and pay $335. A week or so later we get a form from RIV to take to an approved inspector. There is a link to find the nearest one. Hmmm, they were all Canadian Tire stores

7. We go to Can Tire and get "inspected". The inspector faxes the form to RIV. A couple weeks later we get a sticker to affix to the trailer next to the USA one.

8. As a special added task, we got a notice from the ontario license office that the title was wrong because the clerk forgot to convert pounds to kilograms so they needed to re-issue it.

We did not have to drive over provincial borders to get it home so I speak to how long you can drive it around without plates.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
Cannot speak, that is.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #5

Nova Scotia
Info for Canadian buying a US camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Mel, your link appears to go nowhere, but I've not heard of any changes affecting the purchase or importation of used travel trailers.

I believe you meant to say "passport," not "visa." My recollection is the age at which a trailer is considered "vintage" and doesn't have to be certified as meeting Canadian transportation requirements is 16 years going north into Canada. The 25-year rule applies to trailers coming into the US.

The place to star your research would be your provincial vehicle registration office and the Canadian Border Services Agency.

Thank you for reply and info. I did mean passport and not visa. I failed to proofread what I had written. :-(
Old 08-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #6

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Minogue View Post
We just did this last month with a casita which we brought to ontario from Michigan.

1. Have bill of sale. This determines the taxes.😊

2. Have title signed by the owner.

3. We did not need plates for Michigan. We had 3 days to drive it home. We DID make sure we had insured it by calling our car insurance provider.

4. At the border we supplied the title and bill of sale. We then paid the federal portion of the hst (5%?).

5. We then went to the nearest license office (sarnia) and got a plate. We then paid the provincial portion of the hst (8%).

6. A few weeks later we get a notice from RIV in the mail telling us to go on line, fill in a form with info off the manufacturer's plate, and pay $335. A week or so later we get a form from RIV to take to an approved inspector. There is a link to find the nearest one. Hmmm, they were all Canadian Tire stores

7. We go to Can Tire and get "inspected". The inspector faxes the form to RIV. A couple weeks later we get a sticker to affix to the trailer next to the USA one.

8. As a special added task, we got a notice from the ontario license office that the title was wrong because the clerk forgot to convert pounds to kilograms so they needed to re-issue it.

We did not have to drive over provincial borders to get it home so I speak to how long you can drive it around without plates.

Thank you Jennifer Minogue for your reply and info on your Gov. sponsored marry go round. I will keep your info in mind.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Comeau View Post
Thank you Jennifer Minogue for your reply and info on your Gov. sponsored marry go round. I will keep your info in mind.
Merry go round. :-)