Info needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #1

Name: Charlotte
Trailer: 16'Scamp w/side dinette
Ohio
Info needed

I found the trailer weights thread--it states that the 16' Scamp with side dinette weighs about 2500#--is that considered loaded with camping gear? How do I know if my camper has electric brakes? Thanks for any info. Charlotte
Cabs in ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabs in ohio View Post
I found the trailer weights thread--it states that the 16' Scamp with side dinette weighs about 2500#--is that considered loaded with camping gear? How do I know if my camper has electric brakes? Thanks for any info. Charlotte
The Scamp 16 in question has always come standard with 10" electric brakes.
2500# loaded is about right, it can be a bit more or less depending on what are considered traveling necessities. (I am assuming a front bath with a shower).
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #3

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The Scamp 16 in question has always come standard with 10" electric brakes.
2500# loaded is about right, it can be a bit more or less depending on what are considered traveling necessities. (I am assuming a front bath with a shower).
Floyd,

Yes it has a front bath with shower. Thank you for the info. I thought it had brakes but wasn't sure.

Thanks,

Charlotte
Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabs in ohio View Post
Charlotte most of the weights that are on the list where done at a trailer meet at Bandon, Oregon. The trailers where camping there so yes most would be loaded for at least 3 days of camping. In many cases the people attending Bandon are often coming a fair distants to get to Bandon and others are carrying on elsewhere after Bandon -so most have a lot of camping gear with them, along with bikes etc. Mines the 16' with side bath that appears on the list twice - no water in the tanks other than a gallon or two in the bathroom.

16' Scamps come standard with brakes so unless the previous owner removed the brakes yours should have them. You should be able to see the brake hub beside the wheel - you need to take the wheels off the trailer to actually see the brakes. You will need a brake controller to be actually able to use them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Scamp 16

We own a Scamp 16, are long distances travelers going for 7 months a year, always have a half tank of water, have an air conditioner, have a side bath configuration, and numerous modifications to permit using the space available.

Our trailer has been scale weighed fully loaded for an extend trip at 2400 pounds and this includes 200 pounds of hitch weight.

The trailer tows beautifully behind our 2004 Honda CRV.

Safe Travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #6

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We own a Scamp 16, are long distances travelers going for 7 months a year, always have a half tank of water, have an air conditioner, have a side bath configuration, and numerous modifications to permit using the space available.

Our trailer has been scale weighed fully loaded for an extend trip at 2400 pounds and this includes 200 pounds of hitch weight.

The trailer tows beautifully behind our 2004 Honda CRV.

Safe Travels
Thank you everyone for your replies. I have an offer on my camper and hope that works out. I don't want to sell, but I do not have a tow vehicle and will probably not be able to purchase one anytime soon. He doesn't want the camper. Such is life.