INFO RE Fiberglass "Travel Lite" Trailers of Early 60s - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello Members,

I am curious if anyone on this forum might be familiar with the "Travel Lite" trailers of the late sixties and early seventies? They were approximately 12' to about 19' in overall length.

I would appreciate any information, leads or links that anyone may be willing to offer.

Thanks in advance for all input.

Regards,

Don Cordier
Don Cordier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Don

This rings a very vague bell way back in my brain. If you don't have a picture, have you seen one? This would go a long way in helping us help you. Do you know if it is molded fiberglass? There was one with a similar name of that era that was posted here some time back. Unfortunately, the information and picture was lost during the hack. I don't think that's what it was called, but it was really unique and made of something that was actually stronger than fiberglass.

Also, I don't see it listed on our front page, so I'm thinking we either haven't seen one around here or it's not molded fiberglas.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
There was one with a similar name of that era that was posted here some time back. Unfortunately, the information and picture was lost during the hack. I don't think that's what it was called, but it was really unique and made of something that was actually stronger than fiberglass.
Maybe this is related? While trying to find some information about the 1973 molded fibreglass Traveleze I recently found (negotiations continue but look favorable), I discovered that Traveleze made 100 molded trailers in 1966. They made them in conjunction with U.S. Rubber (now Uniroyal) out of a rubber compound called Royalex with a clamshell design similar to our FG trailers of today. Royalex is still used to make canoes, I believe. After 100 trailers, U.S. Rubber decided not to go any further with the project so it folded.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Yes, our Mad River canoe is made of Royalex.

CindyL
Old 07-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Howdy,

Thanks to Suz, DaveK and CindyL for all of your input.

Yes, I have one image of this trailer and will attempt to upload it with this reply.

It is my understanding that it is made from "molded fiberglass" and, judging by the appearance of the material, it does resemble the fiberglass of my 1954 Corvette!

Also, I am familiar with "...with U.S. Rubber (now Uniroyal) out of a rubber compound called Royalex". There are a couple of different materials that are called "Royalite". I believe that was the name of a flexible rubberized cloth material that is/was mainly used in some U.S. Navy "riverboats" for Special Operations purposes, folding kayaks (I have rowed many times in both the single and two person "foldables") and in some aircraft applications. As I recall, it is not as durable as fiberglass, nor as light (on a strickly comparative materials basis) as fiberglass, carbon fiber nor aluminum. Each has its advantages but I am surpursed to learn that someone would have made a small camper from this material.

The other "Royalite" is/was a lightweight, usually very thin type of ABS (a "plastic" material"). In this case its use in aircraft (for non-structural purposes) has been superseded by much more durable variations of this product in the last thirty years.

Anyway, I appreciate the input and if you are able to view the image below that I inserted perhaps someone will have some additional information?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiberglass_Trailer___SA_07_19_08.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	14627

Best wishes,

Don Cordier
Van Nuys Airport
Van Nuys, California USA
Don Cordier is offline   Reply With Quote