Informal Survey on Rallies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Informal Survey on Rallies

I have recently set up the Srping Fling Rally for May at a private campground with all the amenities

Wondering what ratio of campers want all the hook up....and Pay
to
the campers who would go to a State or National park and Pay less but have no water / elect / sewer / store / laundry / propane / showers

Just wondering?
Maybe the next one I host will be of the National Park type. Maybe
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
We prefer state, National, and COE parks. We like to have access to water even if it's not a direct hookup, and electric is nice but we only feel a need for electric if it's going to be really hot (for the A/C). We rarely go places that have full hookups, although some of the state and COE parks have those too.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We've been to 6 or 8 rallies and all were at campgrounds with electricity. Some had water and some had water and sewer
If your rally is only for a couple of days then no hookups are not a major obstacle but when the rally is for 3 ,4 ,5 days or longer than I believe most participants would want full hookups.
I realize that some people would object to full hookups even if the camping was free but they are definitely in the minority.
In our case the cost of fuel to get to the rally far exceeded any camping fees
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We like at least to have electric hookup, but it is not a deciding factor. One rally we do every year is a NY State Park with no water or electric. We base what rallies we do on distance from home and other plans we may have around that time. Also time of year is a consideration.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

Name: Lionel
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300 pulled by a 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Ontario
Registry
The Spring Fling will be our first rally, but when camping we much prefer to have at least Electric hookup. Water is a bonus, but don't mind walking to fill up a jug.

We have camped at both National & Provincial Parks, as well as many nice privately owned campgrounds so no real preference there. The extra few bucks is never the deciding factor for us.

When looking at some rallies the biggest issue for me is when they say you must share sites, or when they stack them all in an open field very close together. We like meeting new people, but we also like our own space.

The KOA for this rally looks great!
LionelAucoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think the important thing is that people can make reservations! Nothing worse than showing up after driving a couple of days and find out there's no room for you. Whether full hookups or no hookups depends on how long one wants to camp at that location, OR if there's a medical reason for needing electricity (CPAP). There will never be a one-size-fits-all. The best you can do is the greatest good for the greatest amount of people.

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:25 AM   #7

Thanks for the quick get-back, Actually the wife and I like State and National Parks and get by fine when they allow a generater to run 4 hours a day to recharge battery. It's the inability to shower that get to us after a few days.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:55 AM   #8

Name: Warren
Trailer: Oliver
New Hampshire
I will admit this past season all my camping was at State Parks. Although one of the State Reservations had both electricity and water, I did not hook up since my site was full sun and the PV array did well.

I am fine with all variations of services. The Rally in May will be my first time with access to full services. Should be a treat, if I hook up.

Buzzy
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
At the bolerama rally in Ont Fred has always made sure we have a choice were ever the rally has been held, there is always a group area with no hookups and a regular hookup area. Many campgrounds will offer this if negotiated in advance.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:22 AM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Donna: I have 2 CPAPs that run directly on 12 volt. I keep one in my Escape all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #11

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
For our rally next fall near Seattle at a State Park, we have access to "several" full service sites, several no-service sites, water is available, and there is a restroom with flush toilets, sinks, and token-op shower.

At the Lynden, WA rally earlier in September, there's electricity (if you have a cord) -- a vast amount of space that wasn't used up by any means last year, the option of parking far away if you want, but very little ground cover. A few trees. WE need electricity for the microwave, and for the little ceramic heater if the nights are colder. We actually cannot use more utilities than that, as our trailer is designed now for utter simplicity by our standards. We have 12V and LED lighting, and some 110 fans if it's quite hot.

There are flush toilets, sinks, and we're not sure about showers at the restrooms there in Lynden Fairgrounds.

Gor showers for us, we're working on a bucket and privacy pop-up system, but haven't tried it out yet. After two or three days, a shower becomes an issue.

Sounds like you've found a nice place to start your rally!

BEST!
Kai
Old 11-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Electricity is nice in the winter months. We use porta potty so sewer hookup doesn't help us. Were use to desert camping where we have nothing unless we brought it. 10-to 15 miles from town is nice for emergency needs but not a big deal. Reservations are important unless it's wide open like Quartzsite.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #13

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Forgot--and agree, reservations are very important--except at something like Lynden, where it is also wide open. Not as big as Quartzsite, I expect, but still plenty big for double the number of rigs. It's the whole fairground, after all. It's not the getting "a" space that's difficult, it's getting one close-in. So show up early! First come, most close.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
2 cents worth.

I know that some insist on reservations no matter where they want go and will seek out RV parks that have reservations.
The other side, I avoid any campground that reserves camp sites. I driven through and out of campgrounds that have reserved signs on campsites. I don't participate in rallies because of the extra cost associated with reservations both in reservation fee and extra cost of the camp site.
Another story, I don't have a toilet or portapotty, so I need to stay where there's a potty close by. I went to the Quartzsite rally a few years ago and was laughed at because I was staying in parking lot of RV Park where toilets were near. I won't go back to that one either.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Another story, I don't have a toilet or portapotty, so I need to stay where there's a potty close by.
A $100 PP would fix that for the few times that you know in advance that there are no services and only bring it then.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
A $100 PP would fix that for the few times that you know in advance that there are no services and only bring it then.
Thanks for suggestion, but for me it's a lot easier said than done.
We travel long distances and usually close to 90 days at a time. If just doesn't make sense to attempt to carry PP around for one week-end. We're in a 13' Scamp so real estate is at a premium. We camp where there's potties or in remote treed and places with lots of bushes.
Since we're backpackers at heart and done a lot of it we know how to dispose of human waste for no impact. But those techniques don't work very well in a crowded corner of the desert, ie rallies.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #17

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Camping today with no electric after a long time of always having it. I'm running lights and furnace on 12V and propane so no issues there, but I did have to recharge my drill battery (Ryobi) in the restroom since I didn't realize it was almost empty when I brought it. I'm fine without sewer or water but for more than a few days would probably want electric just for recharging things. I'm okay with campground showers and live where AC is normally not needed.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #18

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
To me the most important thing is a reliable wireless data or wifi Internet connection. I run my business while travelling or camping.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #19

Wife and I often take trips in the begining and ends of high season and often stay at State or National parks here in Maine and New Hampshire.
We never make reservation and this past Sept., just by chance, didn't go to Acadia National Park and went over to Lamoine State park and got one of the 6 sites thay had left and upon talking to another late arrival was told he had contacted Acadia at noon, around the time we got to Lamoine and he was told NO SITES AVAILABLE.
As said just by chance I saved myself 50 miles of driving out there and back.
The rest of our trip across Maine at 3 other State parks was not a problem
So you never know.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #20

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I have recently set up the Srping Fling Rally for May at a private campground with all the amenities

Wondering what ratio of campers want all the hook up....and Pay
to
the campers who would go to a State or National park and Pay less but have no water / elect / sewer / store / laundry / propane / showers

Just wondering?
Maybe the next one I host will be of the National Park type. Maybe
Hi: Gerry.... For our Niagara Wine Escape rally I think we found a good private campground. They can accommodate all styles of camping hookups... tents to MoHo's. We are there at the end of the season so the seasonals are back home to their routines and the Riverside Motel & Campground folks are happy to have us. Niagara Falls is a tourist mecca so there's lots of things to do other than camping.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote