Inside Trailer Height - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Being a 'taller' person, would you walk away from buying a trailer with a lower inside heigh
Would you, a taller person consider buying a trailer with limited headroom? 6 42.86%
Would you, a shorter person care that you had more than ample headroom when planning a purchase? 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Thumbs up

With regards to the news comiing from Escape Trailers, I'm wondering how many 'taller stature' folks would be more apt to purchase a trailer in which they had even a small amount more headroom, OR, if you aren't 6'3", would you care (decide not to buy) that your new trailer had more headroom than YOU really needed, ....all other factors being about equal??
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
I personally would be quite happy with the dimensions that the manufacturer has come up with

When I first started building the Escape, the interior height was 6'. Me being 6'-1" was a problem being in the units all the time......they were soon raised to 6'-2". Still not tall enough for the 6'-3" and up but great for the 5'7"!

To answer your question Doug (oh great keeper of secrets ) I would need to have adequate headroom if I was going to purchase a new trailer. Now if I was 6'-4, I would be quite used to bumping my head on things and might have a different opinion.

When buying a vehicle, (if I could afford it) I would not purchase a BMW if my head touched the roof.

Just my 2 bits.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
There are many trailers being made that are very high. They give a tremendous amount of wind resistance. Also, people that own them complain of Tree Strikes.

For me, I don’t want to heat and cool large amounts of cubic feet of space. Also, I don’t want the lost of mileage because of excess height.

So keep’m low. 6’ 2” seems like a good compromise to me.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
I'm under 6' tall but the ceiling height of 6'7" in the EggCamper was a big plus for me.

artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I don't spend a lot of time standing in our Trillium but I do like I can stand flatfooted in the center if I talking to someone outside (for example). I would not buy a trailer less then 6'2.

EDIT: Doug, of note is that the Trillium is 7'2". 7' is the cutoff for over height vehicles on BC Ferries which makes a substantial difference in pricing
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #6

Registry
Yeah, we found out even on WA.State ferries we are overheight, but here's somthing that happened to our (new) neighbour in with their 13'Trillium and us in ours. When we both last went to Van Isl. HE was charged overheight and I wasn't!! Weird thing is that he is still running the 13"wheels and I'm on 14's. I guess the ticket attendent wasn't pating close enough attention, instead of looking at the 2 hot rods, he/she should have been looking at the trailer heights!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I've owned 2 Fiberglass Trailers:
A Compact Jr. with 5'5" height with the roof closed and 6'5" with the roof open.
A Fiber Stream with 6'3" height in the main cabin and 5'10" height in the shower.

I loved the roadworthy aerodynamics of the Compact Jr. behind my Honda Odyssey because the roof heights were a close match. At 5'6" tall, I coud stand up slouching slightly inside while my bald head brushed the closed ceiling. The opened roof headroom was spacious!

Having a bit of headroom in the Fiber Stream makes for more comfort than in, say a Scamp, whic I find slightly claustraphobic. The raised shower floor in the Fiber Stream, surprisingly has not bothered me as much.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
At somewhere between 5' and 5' 6", heights for standing are insignificant to me.
OTOH Reaching the upper cabinets would make a difference.

Doug, any chance you can edit the poll to include a yes or no after the two questions? The way it is written, makes it difficult to answer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
I'm 5'8" and find the inside height of our boler to be just fine. However.... if a higher ceiling height could also get me a door that I could exit without cracking my skull then I would welcome it.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
At 6' 3" I'm use to things running into my head, (not me running into them) but would love to be able to stand up in my trailer without hitting the ceiling. As Carol Ann stated, the door is also my weak point!
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
At somewhere between 5' and 5' 6", heights for standing are insignificant to me.
OTOH Reaching the upper cabinets would make a difference.

Doug, any chance you can edit the poll to include a yes or no after the two questions? The way it is written, makes it difficult to answer.
Gee, Roy (...in Big Smoke) this is the first poll I've ever started and I don't see a button to modify the poll!!

I'll TRY n do better next time round...
Old 09-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am the newest, I think, member of the forum. Until today, when I learned that Escape was offering a 19ft with 6'5" of headroom, I was not a happy fiberglass wannabe camper. I am 6'3", and my wife and I have owned Class A's, C's, and bigger trailers. We want to downsize, in all aspects of our lives, and have been struggling with camper size issues. I don't think I could have been happy with a stoop down arrangement. I think we are sold on the new 19' Escape, with it's ample headroom.

As a new responder/blogger, it is hard for me to imagine that anyone in the world is interested in what I have to say.

Why can't the small campers, Escape included, offer a small oven, with a three burner cooktop?

Jim
James T M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
As a new responder/blogger, it is hard for me to imagine that anyone in the world is interested in what I have to say.

Why can't the small campers, Escape included, offer a small oven, with a three burner cooktop?

Jim

SPACE, the final.... ....no wait, thats a T.V. series !

Probably the space provisions are the limiting factor in most anything that is not now available in 'down sized' trailers.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I'd lean to bed size/location in front of headroom. Probably why teardrops are popular.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Quote:
There are many trailers being made that are very high. They give a tremendous amount of wind resistance. Also, people that own them complain of Tree Strikes.

For me, I don’t want to heat and cool large amounts of cubic feet of space. Also, I don’t want the lost of mileage because of excess height.

So keep’m low. 6’ 2” seems like a good compromise to me.
Mike....in our previous RV, a C-class Couchmen Catalina Sport, what I found lacking was the over abundant head room, which made it a wind catcher. It wasn't a looong one, only 22'. My son-in-law is 6'3", which makes our Scamp a little tight for him. I would also agree with Greg A who suggested a larger bed would be more important than the taller ceiling. A wider bed would be nice in our Scamp.

As for the poll choices, does not have the negative choices only yes options.
I am about 6' and I bought one.....not sure if I would be considered taller person or not? Needs an option such as: As a taller person, I would not consider buying a trailer with limited headroom. and As a shorter person, I would not care........etc.

Would you, a taller person consider buying a trailer with limited headroom?
Would you, a shorter person care that you had more than ample headroom when planning a purchase?

I did not know how to answer? Interesing Idea.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #16

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I'm only 5' 4" but I would love a little more space over my head!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote