Inside vs Outside shower? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
Registry
I have the full inside toilet/shower in my 13' Scamp Deluxe and I must say it is a very comfortable thing to have on a cold windy evening when the campground showers are a half mile away and dirty when you get there. Inside showers Yeah!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
This discussion naturally leads to the age-old question of gray water disposition. In addition to privacy issues there are very few places where it is legal, or proper, to put shower soap directly on the ground. Most people use the outside shower as an outside faucet. It is very handy for quick rinsing in various situations. My trailer has one, but I have not really needed it very often. It is one more thing to remember when camping in freezing temps, and it does need to be winterized and de-winterized.

We have camped in some Corps of Engineers campgrounds in the Southeast where they actually encouraged watering the plants with gray water. In that case the proper technique was to attach a long hose to the gray water outlet and direct the outflow to a specific spot well away from the campsite. Way better than a puddle of soapy water next to the trailer.

If we had to choose between outside and inside shower, it would be a no-brainer for us.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #17

Name: Darren
Trailer: 1980 13' Boler
New Brunswick
I agree, in commerical campgrounds or heavy use area's, especially in deserts etc, using the outdoor shower as a shower would not be good ettiquete. However, in the North East in remote area's, so long as you are using a bio soap, and not near a water source, I don't see this as an issue in any way. In a world in which we set "exceptable" limits of all kinds of toxic substances in our environment, a little bio soap is the least of our concerns.

We use careful placement of our privacy shelter in a low area near camp, scrape the soil down a few inches to make a water trap, place a raised cedar platform in which to stand over the area and shower away. When breaking camp we are careful to replace the soil over the area that collected the water and move on.

Same approach as with setting up a new firepit area when none exist.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #18

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
We've had two trailers with an outside shower and never used. Our new EGG CAMPER does not have one. We expect not to use the inside shower unless hooked to sewer because the gray tank is small. Very small water heater, too, but still useable.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
In the desert where I live a lot of people use outside solar showers, that might be the only way some of these bums will ever get clean.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwen View Post
I agree, in commerical campgrounds or heavy use area's, especially in deserts etc, using the outdoor shower as a shower would not be good ettiquete. However, in the North East in remote area's, so long as you are using a bio soap, and not near a water source, I don't see this as an issue in any way. In a world in which we set "exceptable" limits of all kinds of toxic substances in our environment, a little bio soap is the least of our concerns.

We use careful placement of our privacy shelter in a low area near camp, scrape the soil down a few inches to make a water trap, place a raised cedar platform in which to stand over the area and shower away. When breaking camp we are careful to replace the soil over the area that collected the water and move on.

Same approach as with setting up a new firepit area when none exist.
My answer to the original post was referencing the statement that they expected to stay in established campsites 65% of the time. An outside shower would be very impractical for both privacy and puddling of soapy water.

We love to boondock as often as possible and also use the bio-degradable soap. If practical, we dump the gray tank later. Otherwise, we distribute it away from the campsite with a hose. In carefully selected spots. Don't want to start a debate here.

Now what kind of trailer can only be ordered with an inside OR outside shower?
Old 05-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Scamp only inside. Escape and Trilliam can have both inside and outside. Not sure on the rest.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We've had two trailers with an outside shower and never used. Our new EGG CAMPER does not have one. We expect not to use the inside shower unless hooked to sewer because the gray tank is small. Very small water heater, too, but still useable.
Funny enough when hooked up to sewer is when Im less likely to use my trailers shower, as a campground with hook ups will normally have showers as well. Its pretty easy to drain the gray tank or at least a portion of it without moving the trailer - you can buy a special tote to drain it into or you can just use an open bucket which is what happens when I forget to bring the tote! :-)
Old 05-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #23

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Thanks for the tips and advice, everyone. We decided, based on what you are all saying, that the inside shower is the right thing for us.

Your experience and input are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #24

Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Registry
We have a Trekker privy tent and a Zodi hot shower system. Propane powered and works great for dy camping or in situations where the showers are crowded (like festivals). Good idea to check with the campground before you set it up.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #25

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I guess we're the lucky ones. We have both inside and outside showers!!! Funny thing is we don't use either and prefer campground ones. I have a pair of Nike flip flops that I wear in the shower and they're usually dry by the time I walk back on site.
It'd be just my luck to draw the short straw and have to use the outside one!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #26

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeelightsey View Post
Thanks for the tips and advice, everyone. We decided, based on what you are all saying, that the inside shower is the right thing for us.

Your experience and input are greatly appreciated.
You won't regret your decision. I'm guessing the inside shower will yield better resale value.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
IMHO, if it's an either/or question when buying new.. go with the inside shower. Those are difficult to add later. However, several on this forum and the Casita forums have added outside showers at a later date. Looking at mods, it isn't all that difficult to do and you'll know once you really start using your trailer whether it's a mod you'll want to do too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #28

Name: George
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Outside Shower

Looking for some pictures of typical outside shower installations. Considering retrofitting my Escape with an outside shower enclosure but not much on-line to see so far. The idea I have is to attach a portable semi circular ring and shower curtain on hooks on the side of the trailer, use a couple of stones to stand on and mount the outside shower handle on the outside wall of the trailer. Have seen this done on a cabin but not on a trailer. This would be used when dry camping and only with appropriate soap. Idea is to avoid using the inside shower which is small.