Inside vs Outside shower? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
I usually do my dishes outside too due to a small one bin indoor sink, but my one friend gave me grief about the gray sink water I was tossing out on the grass.....really??? since when does the food we eat and the dawn dish soap polute the earth more than your excursion you use to pull your 30 ft trailer she used :/ sometimes I just don't get it.....so now I'm always a little concerned people are watching me
The first time you pull into a campsite and get yourself all set up and discover the swarming flys and other bugs there & sometimes a bad smell, due to the previous camping feeling its ok to dump their dirty dish water in the bushes beside the camping spot or on a green space you will understand why it is not something those wishing to leave a small foot print would not do.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #42

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah it comes down to "over-use". Any popular area just sees so much use these days, with the huge population of people.

Same reason you have to pack your poop with you on overnight river float trips. There's only so much space between the cliff walls along the river. Typically there's someone in every campsite, many if not most days in the summer. That's a lot of poop. Even two people peeing in the same place, day after day all summer long, and man that's gross.

Unfortunately, someday that's going to be the reality on backpacking trips, too. Carrying your poop on your back. I hate the idea, but I also hate showing up to a campsite and not being able to walk any direction without running into toilet paper and worse.

When I'm in the desert, I use my solar shower, outside, and let the water go onto the sand. I avoid areas that see a lot of use, and no one is going to notice 3 gallons of water with a little biodegradable soap, typically just once in any spot I stay, or if I stay long enough, once every 3 days, probably. Someday I won't feel ok about that anymore, as those areas see more use.

Outside showering is great. You don't need to be naked to shower. Sure it might get slightly awkward when you go under your shorts to do some scrubbing down there, but no one can see anything they shouldn't, and it's easy to look away.

I agree with some other posts: if I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose inside shower. But both would be great. I might rig something on my camper at some point. But until then I have a solar shower in case I want an outdoor shower.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Like the word "organic", "biodegradable" may not mean what you think it means.
Worth Googling the difference between "biodegradable" and "compostable".
I think everything is biodegradable - eventually.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #44

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
True, and like most other things, the amount and concentration matters most.

It's a tough one for me. With all the other things going into the environment, a little Dr. Bronners isn't going to make much difference. But that doesn't mean it's ok. When I pass the cows trashing the stream, upstream from where I'm backpacking, and realize I'm going to feel unsafe even splashing my face with stream water the rest of my trip in the "wilderness", I have a hard time thinking it's "bad" to use some soap. Same with irrigation water runoff from all the fields, with fertilizers etc.

It is "bad", but there are so many things going on that are allowed, which are so much worse for the environment, it's hard to care.

Anyway, most of my outdoor showering is done in the desert, usually miles from the nearest stream. Most of the "natural" soaps recommend 200ft from the nearest water.

As usual it's a matter of "ask the little guy to bend over backwards to be clean, but let the major polluters have a bit of a pass". But again...personal choices. I can choose to be part of the problem or not. A little soap out in the middle of desert isn't a huge concern to me.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #45

Name: Wally
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I ordered my Casita with an outside shower and have never used it. I even put a quick coupler and one of those stretchy hoses on it. I'm not sure many campgrounds would appreciate showering and soap,shampoo, and water running all over the ground. I have heard some folks use them for washing dishes. Might try mine next time I'm at the beach to rinse off sand and salt. I have some sailors soap I need to try out.
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #46

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
point taken, I guess I didn't think of all the food particles. I usually see a lot of that around the campfire from flaming marshmallows left behind. Mind you I'm in a campground not really off grid. If I were off grid I'd prob. be more concerned around no trace left behind motto. It is definitely something I'm learning about each day reading this blog
Old 03-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Found the remains of KD ( mac 'n' cheeze ) in the bushes at one campsite.
Even the rodents wouldn't eat it.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #48

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We don't have an outside shower. We did rig up a "faucet", from our fresh water drain. When we need water outside, we just fill our container from there, rather than climbing in and out of the trailer.

Keep a cover over the outlet to keep it clean.

We do dish washing and cooking outside. I keep an electric kettle of water going, on a small table we use for dish washing and tea.

Very easy to drain fresh water tank.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote