Insurance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2007, 05:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Scallan
Talking

This site is such a great source of info....how about insurance.....I know I will get a 31 day temp tag from the factory, but State Farm here in Florida will not insure the egg until it is reg in FL..how do you all go about getting insurance until you have it reg in your state? Don't want to take any chances, and by the by, how much does insurance for these little guys cost? Thanks

LIFE IS GOOD!
Robert Scallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
when are you picking up the trailer? can you get the VIN # if you call and pre register and take the license and tags with you and put them on at the factory??
Here I believe the trailer is automatacally insured for only liability until you add comp and collision on to your policy. I only add that 6 months out of the yr... I dont want to pay the extra when I am not using it..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Call your agent and if he balks go to another agent. I've bought enough vehicles over the years and all I've needed to do is call my agent and tell him what exactly it is I'm buying and when I'm picking it up. They start the paperwork and carry it as a "binder" until I can get in with the registration, etc. Usually good for five days.

Also, my trailer is covered under my Tug insurance while under tow. I carry Comp only for when it's parked, and that's good for either while camping or next to my house. My insurance carrier is Farmers and it costs me <$100 a year...and that's for "replacement" value. All I think is good luck I figure the best insurance is the kind you NEVER have to use.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 4500
Insurance is regulated by the specific state or province...There are different rules that may apply whether the unit is coming in or going out.
"Generally' the liability is automatically extended from the towing vehicle, but you will have to add anything to protect the trailer itself.
Often a dealer will provide the coverage for physical damage until it is actually delivered to the customer's location. Check with them.
And the premiums for a small recreational trailer should be minimal, depending on the value, and the coverages you want it insured against...
Nicole M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We have full coverage through our regular insurance agent. While we pull the trailer it is covered by our truck insurance but as soon as we unhook the tv it isn't so we got full coverage. It covers trees that might fall in a campground or spray paint from someone who might like a white canvas or a bike that crashes into it or someone that likes our tv and computer and breaks in. I think it is less than 100 a year and sure gives us piece of mind.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 MKP Grandesse T (made in Denmark)
Thanks for posting this question and for the answers especially!
I was told by my agent (Allstate) who I've been with for over 20 years that insurance for the camper was not available! (Only covered if in tow under car policy)
And I (foolishly) took her word for it.
Now I'm going shopping for a more helpful insurance agency!
Denise K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have full coverage on mine. When towing, the car insurance covers it for liability and comp etc. Your auto policy should protect you from liability at least until it gets home.

When at home, my homeowners covers it.

It is insured against theft as well. It's about 70 bucks a year.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Quote:
It is insured against theft as well.
...So that means you are getting a new table??
jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
My trailers have all been insured by Allstate and availability was never a problem. My only fear is that "replacement cost" means different things to the insurance industry than it does to me. Blue Book and NADA are notorious for grossly undervaluing these trailers. There is RV insurance available that claims to offer replacement with a new unit, but the cost is somewhat astronomical. There is no perfect solution to this.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
By the way, Allstate was charging me about $70 a year for a new 04 Casita, and now about $52 a year for a ten year old Bigfoot. I checked on the RV insurance offered by Camping World and it would have been over $700 per year for the higher replacement coverage. That policy was underwritten by GMAC. I didn't quite understand why the insurance they offered for my little trailer was costlier than for my Ford truck which is worth at least twice as much. They must have mistaken my little Casita for diesel pusher Motorhome.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Scallan
Talking

I got a solicitation from Camping World in todays mail...called....$293.00 for six months....the only neat thing is you can suspend the insurnace(well most of it) for as long as you are not using the trailer...then re-instate it when you begin to camp....it's still too much.....around $200 per year from State Farm addes to the rest of my policies...I am gong to do a close inspection of the two policies just to make sure.

That $293.00 is for a brand new 13 Scamp with a price of around $11,000 with $100 deductible.

LIFE IS GOOD!
Robert Scallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #12

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Insurances companies certainly differ in being helpful. We've had USAA for over 30 years and simply called them to say I would be buying a trailer in Ohio and didn't know the VIN. They said don't worry about it because it would be covered for the first 30 days under the car policy. When I had the VIN I called them and everything was okeedokee. I don't recall the premium, but it isn't much. State Farm is getting a poor reputation of late.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote