Insurance Fine Print - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Insurance Fine Print

Reading the fine print on our trailer insurance policy it mentions that the trailer has to be inspected and checked every 30 days. For those who store their trailer in an RV storage lot you may want to check your policy. I make a point of checking my trailers monthly and taking pictures as proof for the insurance company.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
It would seem that if attempting to deny any claim under this condition, the insurance company would have to prove negligence on the policy holder's part. As such, the insurance company would have to prove that the trailer had not been checked every 30 days. Furthermore, does the fine print specify what constitutes "checking?" In reality, it would be difficult if not impossible for the insurance company to prove the trailer had not been checked as required because even if it were in a storage facility requiring those who enter to sign in, one could say that they observed/checked the trailer from outside the storage facility's gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 12-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #3

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
If you just claim that you looked at it from the fence but didn't, don't forget the security cameras might prove otherwise.
Dave & Paula
Old 12-07-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Insurance Fine Print

Well, I was with my neighbor in his car, we slowed down as we drove by and I could see my trailer and it appeared to be fine. Security cameras aside, it would be difficult for the insurance company to definitively prove you were out of compliance, and they still haven't defined "check."
Let's examine another scenario. The insurance company requires you to keep your home safe. You go to bed. It starts snowing, or better yet, you get freezing rain. At 8:00 am, before you arise, the newspaper delivery person slips and falls in your property, and sustains a serious injury. You get sued. The insurance company refuses to pay, claiming it is reasonable to expect everyone to be awake by 8:00 and you should have addressed the dangerous situation. Or perhaps you were visiting relatives overnight. Going to be very hard for the insurance company to prove you failed to take reasonable precautions.
Fine print or not, it will be difficult for the insurance company to weasel out of its contract with you without absolute proof. Beyond a reasonable doubt does not apply in this situation, and the onus of proof is on them.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I would be more concerned about vandalism, a window gets broken and the inside is exposed to the weather. I am sure the insurance company could determine the difference between the window being broken for a month vs several months. In my case it really does not matter since I check the trailers very regularly checking for condition, mice, etc. Just thought others may want to check their policies. I also figured that a time stamp picture was an easy way to prove a visit
Old 12-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
I can't disagree with you Ian. The point I was trying to make was the insurance company would have a hard time disallowing a claim under this provision. My trailers have always been stored at my home. But if I had it in a storage facility I would check it more often than once a month. But I probably wouldn't feel the need to take a monthly picture even though I understand your reasoning. Let's just hope you never need those pictures!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I also figured that a time stamp picture was an easy way to prove a visit

Can't you reset that camera's date/time?
Old 12-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Can't you reset that camera's date/time?
Company Blackberry, time date synced to corporate servers
Old 12-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I'd shop for a different insurance policy.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
The point of this thread is not to debate insurance policies, it is to warn those who are interested that most policies have fine print intended to provide the insurance company with a way to avoid paying out a claim. Read your policy to identify what loop hole your policy may have and do what is needed to protect yourself in the event you have to make a claim
Old 12-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #11

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I'd shop for a different insurance policy.
Suspect its in the fine print of most policy's - check your homeowners insurance policy its most probable has the same clause except it not check once a month more likely once a week.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote