Intech Sol - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Intech Sol

Did a search and there didn't seem to be much discussion of the new Intech Sol. This is a fiberglass camper, although the structure is not "molded fiberglass" as it has an frame, but the frame is aluminum so it looks interesting.

A quick look:

longer look:

Prices look to be in the upper $20k range.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #2

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
To be fair, this is a molded fg forum and as you said, the Sol is not molded. We looked at it initially, but on account of the price and absence of a used market to draw from, it was removed from the list. They look nice, but what is that really worth? For roughly the same price I think I'd rather have a new Escape 19.

The front window on all the intech trailers looks awesome though. I wonder what lengths owners go to getting it pointed the right way when making camp. I wouldn't think you'd want it facing the road in a campground!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
The front window on all the intech trailers looks awesome though. I wonder what lengths owners go to getting it pointed the right way when making camp. I wouldn't think you'd want it facing the road in a campground!

Good point. And, all the other windows are quite small.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:01 PM   #4

Minnesota
Registry
I'm not sure I like the layout with the bathroom in the middle like that, but there are a number of smaller features I do like.

As to whether it "belongs" here, if we can have lengthy discussions of the Airstream Nest here it seems like this one is in a similar gray area. The front is "molded" anyway.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Intech Sol

Nothing “gray” about the Nest, Steve, except the gelcoat on the top half of the two-piece, self-supporting, all-molded fiberglass shell.

This appears to be panel-on-frame with fiberglass panels, some molded. Close but not quite. Still an interesting trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

Minnesota
Registry
I don't have any skin in this game, so I don't truly care one way of the other if it "belongs". If admins decide to axe this thread I won't lose any sleep. But here's the thing - this camper has the fundamental attribute that molded fiberglass does: structural longevity. While there is some potential for leaks at the panel joints, the frame is aluminum so the structure will not rot and the camper as a whole should have excellent longevity, like molded fiberglass campers do. And that is the bottom line IMO.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Well, IMO, it is just a (aluminum) stick built trailer which will have much the same durability issues that that construction method implies.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

Minnesota
Registry
The same how? The frame can't rot. It isn't stapled together. Assuming it is engineered with a modicum of common sense, it won't fall apart. That is what "stick built" implies to me, and it does not apply to the Sol.

There are two roof seams at the upper corners that could potentially leak, but if leaking is the criteria then most of the molded fiberglass trailers out there fail as well. The difference with molded fiberglass is the camper will still be structurally sound after the leaks, even if it has to be gutted and rebuilt. IMO this attribute also applies to an aluminum frame, fiberglass panel trailer.