Interac - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Hi Chester, you can use your debit card at Walmart, Costco and Safeway...for sure and you just know there is almost always one of them close by in your travels. You can also ask for "cash back" at Walmart. Best bet is to plan your grocery shopping at Costco or Walmart Supercenters and get cash back at Walmart if you need cash as well.

You can use your Safeway points card ( or phone number with area code) anywhere in the US for grocery discounts [at]Safeway and Safeway gas pumps will accept debit.

Finding a stand alone gas station that accepts debit is a rare bird, or even a gas station employee that knows what debit is, is rarer still. NOTE: if you drive through Oregon don't jump out to fill er up. State law requires the attendant to work the pump.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #16

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
. State law requires the attendant to work the pump.
Thats a new one on me.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Thats a new one on me.
Yep and we like it! Using Debit Cards is Oregon is typically not a problem... maybe it's because we DON'T pump our own gas the station attendants are more in the know?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #18

Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
California
GREAT topic.

Thanx D.D. for the info in the credit holds. Didn't know about that one. BUT, if I read it right, it is ONLY when you use a Debit **without entering your PIN**. That is possible if you have a "logo" Debit Card - that is... a Debit Card that contains (for example) a MasterCard or VISA Logo. That allows the card to work as EITHER a regular Debit ##OR## in a "credit card" mode. At times, I HAVE pushed the "credit" button on the pump - to avoid the 45 cent convenience fee IF the cash and credit price for gas is the same. I never knew I had a hold for more than I pumped. Now, so often, the Cash price is 10 cents less than the Credit price, so the net price is cheaper going cash + convenience fee. AND, here in Calif, i vitrually NEVER have to go into the station - many (most???) have a "pay at the pump" option.

One more thing about Wal-Mart... Michele and I use the "Bank of Wal-Mart" when we are on the road. We can **always** find "something" to buy. We split the purchases and get in separate lines and get $100 cash back each. WAY easier than using ATM's - where both the ATM owner **AND** your own bank EACH nick you $2 to $3.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #19

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Quote:
Thats a new one on me.

Chester and Marie The beat goes on ... On my last trip through Oregon, on the way to the Bullard's Beach gathering, in a remote location with a long way to the next available gas I asked the attendant to be sure and "top if off" well apparently there is now a state regulation that does not allow "topping off" !!! Lee
Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler 17 ft 1977 / 04 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi Chester
Each time I travel to USA, I take with me a minimum of US cash money. I use to pay with credit card, and I use Interac only to retreive cash money.

That's the way I did during stays in Florida, and Texas and for my trip around USA in 2004.
Some places, gas station did not accept credit card at the pump because they ask for a ZIP code, but it has been always possible to pay inside.

Have a nice trip
Raymond
Old 08-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Further back on my response I mentioned basically that I found stores sometimes reluctant to use our (Canadian) interac cards. At that time it also seemed that merchants were less and less likely to accept any Canadian money. It now seems like this trend may be reversing. I'll ALWAYS remember buying a bananna split at a D.Q. in San Fran. Paid with a bill and change. The eagle eyed clerk spotted a dime in my change and refused to accept it!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Thats a new one on me.
It was to me too, until I got my fingers rapped by a cute attendant the first time I tried to fill up myself when in Oregon earlier this year.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #23

Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
California
Doug... for those of us who will venture NORTH of the border, do most Canadian business owner take US Coin and Currency?

(b-t-w, I LOVE the idea of the Loonie and the Toonie. I personally wish the US would stop the $1 Bill and convert to the Presidential Dollar. AND, like the Euro, kill off the $5 bill and do a $5 coin. MAKES SENSE to me!)

Quote:
Further back on my response I mentioned basically that I found stores sometimes reluctant to use our (Canadian) interac cards. At that time it also seemed that merchants were less and less likely to accept any Canadian money. It now seems like this trend may be reversing. I'll ALWAYS remember buying a bananna split at a D.Q. in San Fran. Paid with a bill and change. The eagle eyed clerk spotted a dime in my change and refused to accept it!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Alan,
We've always found the best exchange rates using our credit cards or an ATM. (Check with your credit card companies before you travel outside the U.S. Some charge "foreign transaction fees" as high as 3%. We have two that don't charge any "foreign" fee, and obviously, they're the ones we use. Some banks have arrangements with foreign ATMs for free or low fees, also.) We carry some foreign cash, not a lot.
This summer in Canada, we found decent exchange rates posted at all the provincial park campgrounds for U.S. visitors wishing to use U.S. currency. At a McDonalds, however, I found I had only a few dollars in Canadian money in my wallet, but had my credit card and US dollars . They would have been happy to take my U.S. dollars, but could not offer any exchange rate at all (store policy). I paid with a credit card.
Sherry
Old 08-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
Doug... for those of us who will venture NORTH of the border, do most Canadian business owner take US Coin and Currency?

(b-t-w, I LOVE the idea of the Loonie and the Toonie. I personally wish the US would stop the $1 Bill and convert to the Presidential Dollar. AND, like the Euro, kill off the $5 bill and do a $5 coin. MAKES SENSE to me!)
I have found that most bussiness in Canada will take US Money, BUT BE AWARE, They may not give the proper exchange rate.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Most Canadian retailers will accept US dollars for payment but will likely round the exchange up to the next 5 cent increment on the dollar.
Typically, when the difference is less than 10 cents on the dollar, they will go to dollars at par.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #27

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
I have found that most bussiness in Canada will take US Money, BUT BE AWARE, They may not give the proper exchange rate.
Hey Chester thanks for blowin' the whistle....
Old 08-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #28

British Columbia
Quote:
Hey Chester thanks for blowin' the whistle....
Your Welcome.