Interesting way to make eBay money - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
and.. to the opposite.. Yosemite (I called directly there) just told me that they have heard of this before, and there is no way to enforce it. They ask for ID at the park entrance but not in the campground. Anyone can take your slip and get in.

According to them, once you book it, it's yours. I would think that there are liability issues there. If a forest fire starts in YOUR campsite.. they come after you to pay the costs.

Apathy makes me.. all mad ..... and stuff.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
there is no way to enforce it.

Well, that is just.......*#@%......really BAD!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
We'll see. I sent an EMail to the Director of the National Park Service at Department of the Interior, with cites to the EBay postings, so we'll see what happens. I made reference to it as scalping.

I also mentioned it on another group, so the word might start getting around.

Problem was, I couldn't get a direct email address for her, so I sent it to the DOI web guys to forward to her.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita
Am I the only one that is not upset about this?

Probably
Old 05-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #19

Quote:

Probably
I would imagine like every topic in life there will be differing opinions. For me, what really irks me is the possibility that this person is intentionally trying to profit from it. I have had senarios where I had to bail on a site, concert, event, etc...., but I never attempted to "make as much of a profit as I could". It's just not my thing. For all the people who go camping because that's what they can "afford", people like this make things that much more unattainable. Once would bother me, multiple times takes me to a new level.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #20

Trailer: 1970 Campster
I think this practice is despicable! Did anyone complain to Ebay? I don't know how far this would go since the practice is not illegal... yet! I'm going to send a few emails to various agencies and complain. I hope others will follow suit. We need to make this wheel good and squeeky so it gets noticed and the agencies in charge of the parks and the reservation system will address this issue.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I'm against it not so much from the profit angle (Is scalping legal?) but from the fact that if the practice becomes widespread, it becomes harder to get a campsite because some commodities speculator has bought the rights to the them all. That means folks may be spilling over into the lesser-used campgrounds where a lot of us like to camp.

I will say that I'd rather see the increased revenues from campsites going back into the NP pot rather than disappearing into private hands.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #22

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Scalping is illegal in most municipalities, but it is not a blanket law for the nation. There are weird exceptions when it comes to ticket brokers.. a practice that also annoys me. I won't buy from them.

I am not a lawyer, I don't know how this would fall into the scalping detail.. but it's the closest thing I can think of.

I agree with Pete, it makes it hard on lots of folks. I know right now, with gas the way it is, that the normally unbooked campgrounds up here seem to be reserved throught the summer, if you can believe reserveamericas site. Folks are taking their vacations closer to home when normally the masses down here head farther north.

I normally come in first come first serve places, but there are a couple sites I really like that require a ressie. Last year, I stayed in one 3 times without difficulty, booked a week in advance. I looked this morning, and this site is reserved through the season, every weekend. First year I have seen it that way. I would be most annoyed if someone booked it on spec and it sat empty some of those weekends because they didn't sell.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
It stinks, but those of us putting on egg gatherings have used the system to add or modify the reservation, the Oregon Gathering in particular and the NOG to a lesser degree. So, as long as it works to our advantage it's acceptable, but to make money on the deal is evil (my 2 1/2 cents).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #24

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
The way it is done for NOG and other events is legit, I think. But this ebay stuff is designed to cheat the system. The worst part is that if the reservation doesn't sell the seller can just cancel it and get his money back, so he's at very little risk.

I'm not sure how to prevent it, though getting EBay to remove it would help. (Make it illegal if it isn't already illegal- write your congressman?)
Old 05-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #25

Quote:
It stinks, but those of us putting on egg gatherings have [b]used the system to add or modify the reservation, the Oregon Gathering in particular and the NOG to a lesser degree. So, as long as it works to our advantage it's acceptable, but to make money on the deal is evil (my 2 1/2 cents).
While that may be true, NONE of us are attempting to "profit" $$$$$$ from it. What if I booked several sites during the Bullards gathering and then said I'd sell my sites to the highest bidder here. I guess for me it's just not cool. AND, I whole heartedly agree the money should be going back to the parks, NOT someone's pocket that clearly doesn't have the same respect for the whole thing.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
but to make money on the deal is evil
I'm not disagreeing on the use, it's the abuse. As far as I know, no one involved in any egg gathering is trying to make money, just trying to help others out when a site may go to an outside source. This is a fairly small community and it wouldn't take long for someone's reputation to be damaged by abusing the reservation system. Talk about being shunned!

Sharon, I'm not concerned about you... you get so excited you cancel your entire reservation... not just the days you don't need Speaking of which .....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #27

Quote:
[b]Talk about being shunned!
Sharon, I'm not concerned about you... you get so excited you cancel your entire reservation... not just the days you don't need Speaking of which .....

Geez, just the word "shunned" sounds powerful and unpleasant....

I'm NEVER going to make that mistake again! For those of you who haven't heard about my public mocking, I forgot to cancel the "front end, work the system loop hole" of my Bullards ressie and by the time I realized it, the park had canceled my entire ressie as a "no show". After much panic and I will admit a few tears, I was O' so lucky to re-reserve my same spot. It took several hours on the computor hitting enter over and over and over and over and over In some cosmic way, I'm sure it was my karma/lesson for wasting that site for someone else for that prior week!
Old 05-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #28

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Problem really is that someone is willing to bid for something like that. 21+ bids on that Yosemite listing and ended for $510. If people keep bidding and paying for it the problem is here to stay.

If we can't get a reservation for a particular park or campground we just simply go somewhere else.

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote