Interesting way to make eBay money - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Am I the only one that is not upset about this?
I'm against it not so much from the profit angle (Is scalping legal?) but from the fact that if the practice becomes widespread, it becomes harder to get a campsite because some commodities speculator has bought the rights to the them all. That means folks may be spilling over into the lesser-used campgrounds where a lot of us like to camp.

I will say that I'd rather see the increased revenues from campsites going back into the NP pot rather than disappearing into private hands.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Scalping is illegal in most municipalities, but it is not a blanket law for the nation. There are weird exceptions when it comes to ticket brokers.. a practice that also annoys me. I won't buy from them.

I am not a lawyer, I don't know how this would fall into the scalping detail.. but it's the closest thing I can think of.

I agree with Pete, it makes it hard on lots of folks. I know right now, with gas the way it is, that the normally unbooked campgrounds up here seem to be reserved throught the summer, if you can believe reserveamericas site. Folks are taking their vacations closer to home when normally the masses down here head farther north.

I normally come in first come first serve places, but there are a couple sites I really like that require a ressie. Last year, I stayed in one 3 times without difficulty, booked a week in advance. I looked this morning, and this site is reserved through the season, every weekend. First year I have seen it that way. I would be most annoyed if someone booked it on spec and it sat empty some of those weekends because they didn't sell.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It stinks, but those of us putting on egg gatherings have used the system to add or modify the reservation, the Oregon Gathering in particular and the NOG to a lesser degree. So, as long as it works to our advantage it's acceptable, but to make money on the deal is evil (my 2 1/2 cents).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #24

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The way it is done for NOG and other events is legit, I think. But this ebay stuff is designed to cheat the system. The worst part is that if the reservation doesn't sell the seller can just cancel it and get his money back, so he's at very little risk.

I'm not sure how to prevent it, though getting EBay to remove it would help. (Make it illegal if it isn't already illegal- write your congressman?)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
It stinks, but those of us putting on egg gatherings have [b]used the system to add or modify the reservation, the Oregon Gathering in particular and the NOG to a lesser degree. So, as long as it works to our advantage it's acceptable, but to make money on the deal is evil (my 2 1/2 cents).
While that may be true, NONE of us are attempting to "profit" $$$$$$ from it. What if I booked several sites during the Bullards gathering and then said I'd sell my sites to the highest bidder here. I guess for me it's just not cool. AND, I whole heartedly agree the money should be going back to the parks, NOT someone's pocket that clearly doesn't have the same respect for the whole thing.
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #26

Quote:
but to make money on the deal is evil
I'm not disagreeing on the use, it's the abuse. As far as I know, no one involved in any egg gathering is trying to make money, just trying to help others out when a site may go to an outside source. This is a fairly small community and it wouldn't take long for someone's reputation to be damaged by abusing the reservation system. Talk about being shunned!

Sharon, I'm not concerned about you... you get so excited you cancel your entire reservation... not just the days you don't need Speaking of which .....
Old 05-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #27

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
[b]Talk about being shunned!
Sharon, I'm not concerned about you... you get so excited you cancel your entire reservation... not just the days you don't need Speaking of which .....

Geez, just the word "shunned" sounds powerful and unpleasant....

I'm NEVER going to make that mistake again! For those of you who haven't heard about my public mocking, I forgot to cancel the "front end, work the system loop hole" of my Bullards ressie and by the time I realized it, the park had canceled my entire ressie as a "no show". After much panic and I will admit a few tears, I was O' so lucky to re-reserve my same spot. It took several hours on the computor hitting enter over and over and over and over and over In some cosmic way, I'm sure it was my karma/lesson for wasting that site for someone else for that prior week!
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #28

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Problem really is that someone is willing to bid for something like that. 21+ bids on that Yosemite listing and ended for $510. If people keep bidding and paying for it the problem is here to stay.

If we can't get a reservation for a particular park or campground we just simply go somewhere else.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #29

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Problem really is that someone is willing to bid for something like that. 21+ bids on that Yosemite listing and ended for $510. If people keep bidding and paying for it the problem is here to stay.

If we can't get a reservation for a particular park or campground we just simply go somewhere else.

Bingo!
The same as a football game. If you plan ahead you get your ticket at the going rate. If you don't you pay the scalper. It will never change.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #30

Registry
The problem with something like reservations at Yosemite is that even if people plan ahead, not everyone who plans ahead manages to get the reservation because some jerk is scalping reservations. If they were grabbing up extra reservations, fine, but they are getting in there and competing with people who really intend to camp and then can't get a spot.

Bobbie
Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #31

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
It stinks, but those of us putting on egg gatherings have used the system to add or modify the reservation, the Oregon Gathering in particular and the NOG to a lesser degree. [b]So, as long as it works to our advantage it's acceptable...
Quote:
[b]The way it is done for NOG and other events is legit, I think. But this ebay stuff is designed to cheat the system.
Unfortunately, I see a fine, fine line between what the Oregon Gathering does, and what this eBay-er is doing... The definition of "advantage" and who has the advantage could become a slippery slope.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #32

My point exactly Frederick. The biggest difference is no one "makes" money on the Oregon Gathering or NOG reservations... at least I hope not.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #33

Trailer: ***
Quote:
Am I the only one that is not upset about this? Probably
Instead of beating up a man-of-the-cloth --- the [b]eBay seller's moniker is "chaplaintom" --- why is no one taking their wrath out on the [b]8 bidders who made 28 bids to the final price of $510!

I have two opinions about the situation:

1) If I wanted to go to Yosemite at the same time and place the seller is offering an "extra site available just for me" then I should have tried as hard as he did to get not ONE, but THREE reservations (the one he is apparently using, the one he just sold for $510 and the OTHER one still up for bid!)

OR

2) If I wanted to go to Yosemite at the same time and place the seller is offering an "extra site available just for me" then I should have bid [b]$510.02 when I had the chance!

Just my 2¢ worth...
Dan I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #34

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
Bah.

Have any of you actually ever camped in the valley on a holiday weekend? It's practically a warzone. Unleashed dogs, rap music blaring, drunk people fighting and screaming, generators running all night, fireworks.... Every weekend warrior "camper" from National City to Portland is crammed in that place like sardines. I actually laughed at this. 28 bids? They're like hogs to the slaughter. IS selling the reservations misuse? Yeah, but it's enterprising to say the least.

They can have it. The best camping is free anyways.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #35

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
This whole thing sounds no different than what I have experienced trying to purchase concert tickets. Tickets go on sale at 10am, and ten minutes later, are sold out. Ten minutes after that, tickets for the show I wanted to see are up for sale on ebay by some jerk in New Jersey or some other state for 3 times the price. Perhaps there is nothing that can be done about that, but campgrounds are state and federally run and this seems to constitute fraud. I can remember when Mailie and I could drive into any campground, and get a site for as many days as we wanted with no reservation. Times have changed. I don't mind competing with other campers for the sites, with a little planning, we can usually go where we want. But competing with those who are just out to make a buck would make it almost unbearable. As a newcomer to egg camping, especially following the great time we had at our first NOG, it would be truly disappointing if in a couple of years I had to bid for my reservations, if I could afford to at that point.
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #36

Registry
This afternoon I attended a concert and the friend I was with ran into an old friend. This friend works, coincidentally, as a lawyer for the Parks Service at Yosemite National Park. She had never heard of this practice, and is going to bring it the attention of several people. I brought up the point that if they can find out that it is, in fact, illegal, Ebay will stop letting people do it. And if it isn't illegal maybe they will do something to make it illegal.

Bobbie

Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #37

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
This whole thing sounds no different than what I have experienced trying to purchase concert tickets.
precisely.

*puts on geezers hat*

In MY day, you had to plop in front of a ticket office, sometimes spending the nite on cold hard cement in a sleeping bag in order to be assured you got tickets for the "big" ones. And anyone caught reselling their tickets, no matter HOW they got them, would spend the next nite in jail, or were met by some pretty cold shoulders and verbal abuse by fans.

Now it's on a computer, and I have heard grumblings from folks that don't do well online that THAT isn't fair. In the new world, I feel it is. They can hit "buy" as fast as I can.. if I get there first.. I don't want to rudely say "too bad", but I will say "Bad luck for ya man" .. the old way, if you don't get in line before me, "bad luck on ya man" too.

It IS a fine line, but I see a difference in picking up 8 tickets and selling 7 to my friends at face value to save them from camping on a sidewalk than me buying 8 tickets to sell 7 for a huge profit just cause I was there and could.

Same with Bandon. Those that get spaces and then can't use them will let others here (Friends) have their spots so they can enjoy too. Is that fair to other outside campers? I say it's as fair as me getting tickets for my friends. We have a specific PLAN to use those spots.. even if it eventually isn't our own rigs in the space.

I would dare to say if anyone popped in here trying to profit on their Bandon ressies that they would be run out of town rather quickly.

And as far as comfort in a campground, if YOU were not in the egg group, would you really enjoy that weekend at the park? I know I would not. I have been in campgrounds that were taken over by large groups and they were not my most memorable trips. I am not complaining.. they planned ahead and got there first.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #38

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
Quote:
This afternoon I attended a concert and the friend I was with ran into an old friend. This friend works, coincidentally, as a lawyer for the Parks Service at Yosemite National Park. She had never heard of this practice, and is going to bring it the attention of several people. I brought up the point that if they can find out that it is, in fact, illegal, Ebay will stop letting people do it. And if it isn't illegal maybe they will do something to make it illegal.

Bobbie
Fantastic
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #39

Trailer: ***
Quote:

Bobbie
[b]"We have met the enemy and he is us!" - POGO, drawn by Walt Kelly, 1970

Seems to me, as long as the National Park Service reservation system (or concert promoters for that matter) allows [b]ONE person to reserve [b]MORE THAN ONE campsite (or buy EIGHT concert tickets), this trend will continue and probably grow, as shrinking resources are serving increasing numbers of consumers.

Instead of inviting so-called "illegality" by enabling the perceived outlaws, why doesn't the National Park Service level the playing field by limiting reservations to ONE? Maybe this discussion should focus on ethics instead of legality.
Dan I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #40

Registry
Quote:
[b]"We have met the enemy and he is us!" - POGO, drawn by Walt Kelly, 1970

Seems to me, as long as the National Park Service reservation system (or concert promoters for that matter) allows [b]ONE person to reserve [b]MORE THAN ONE campsite (or buy EIGHT concert tickets), this trend will continue and probably grow, as shrinking resources are serving increasing numbers of consumers.

Instead of inviting so-called "illegality" by enabling the perceived outlaws, why doesn't the National Park Service level the playing field by limiting reservations to ONE? Maybe this discussion should focus on ethics instead of legality.
That makes sense for campground reservations but someone could still scalp the one reservation. For concerts people buy tickets together so they can all go- but limiting to four might make more sense.