Interesting way to make eBay money - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #43

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Bah.

Have any of you actually ever camped in the valley on a holiday weekend? It's practically a warzone. Unleashed dogs, rap music blaring, drunk people fighting and screaming, generators running all night, fireworks.... Every weekend warrior "camper" from National City to Portland is crammed in that place like sardines. I actually laughed at this. 28 bids? They're like hogs to the slaughter. IS selling the reservations misuse? Yeah, but it's enterprising to say the least.

They can have it. The best camping is free anyways.
I am so with you on this.
I grew up there almost.
My mother (Rosy the Riveter) would save a little bit of every pay check for a summer camping trip to Yosemite, Sequoia, and/or Kings Canyon. We would camp quietly and peacefully on the valley floor among the jays and hummingbirds. I would fish the Merced all day and watch the fire-fall at night. It was very peaceful back then.

About ten years ago I took my mother to Yosemite. You know... as pay back. We had a cabin this time. There were jillions of people around. One day we took a trip to the base of Yosemite falls. When we got to the parking area to walk up to its base of the falls and get our loud wet dose of mother nature, we were confronted with six busloads of foreign tourists. The path was elbow to elbow chattering languages I cannot imagine. Well... you see... back in our day we would go to the foot of the fall where we (she, my sister, and I) used to sit alone.. get wet, watch water fall rainbows, and listen to Blue Jay chatter… very loud and raucous and above the din of the fall even. This time however we turned immediately around and went back.

My mother was quite and reserved for the next two days. On the way out of the park towards Fresno I asked her how she liked the trip? She said, "It was nice... but I'll never return" Her eyes were wet.

She has not since returned nor have I.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #44

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
My mother was quite and reserved for the next two days. On the way out of the park towards Fresno I asked her how she liked the trip? She said, "It was nice... but I'll never return" Her eyes were wet.

There are times of the year when Yosemite is relatively uncrowded and nice, but not often. (And I have not been there recently so that may have changed even more.) It has never been my favorite place, but the loveliest that I've ever seen it was on a post-Thanksgiving biking trip we did to the valley (biked in, not up to, the valley.) But that was about 1985 so I don't know how things would be on Thanksgiving weekend now.

Bobbie

Old 05-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:

Just think how you would feel had you spent $800 for that experience!!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:04 AM   #46

Trailer: Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
Quote:
Bah.

Have any of you actually ever camped in the valley on a holiday weekend? It's practically a warzone. Unleashed dogs, rap music blaring, drunk people fighting and screaming, generators running all night, fireworks.... Every weekend warrior "camper" from National City to Portland is crammed in that place like sardines. I actually laughed at this. 28 bids? They're like hogs to the slaughter. IS selling the reservations misuse? Yeah, but it's enterprising to say the least.

They can have it. The best camping is free anyways.
These are precisely the reasons why we camp where we camp. I for one never had any intention of going to places such as Yosemite, and reservation abuse should definitely be looked into by the authorities, but unless we see someone auctioning off resies to Bandon, Silver Falls, Champoeg and the like, we shouldn't worry too much.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #47

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
These are precisely the reasons why we camp where we camp. I for one never had any intention of going to places such as Yosemite, and reservation abuse should definitely be looked into by the authorities, but unless we see someone auctioning off resies to Bandon, Silver Falls, Champoeg and the like, we shouldn't worry too much.
This is what is so way cool about our little grade A eggs.
I am going to work at the zion festival for a week in june and it's 50 miles one way from home... 9 am to 5 pm. So I thought I'd check the NP campgrounds.. LOL.. booked until fall. So I'll pull the egg up to smithonian butte and set up a boondocking camp only five miles from Springdale. That's what some of us bought them for in the first place, right?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #48

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Problem is that if the reservation systems get clogged with speculative reservations, the hot CGs may have empty spaces and the party-hearty folks start going to the better places.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #49

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Quote:
Problem is that if the reservation systems get clogged with speculative reservations, the hot CGs may have empty spaces and the party-hearty folks start going to the better places.
The reservations systems are already clogged no matter what people are ultimately doing with them. Only way you can get in a lot of the popular parks is to show up and take ur chances and most of the time we've been ok getting in because a good number of those reservations are canceling or not showing up.

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote