Interior Propane Lamps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Interior Propane Lamps

I was just admiring some georgeously restored trailers like Shastas and Scottys some of which still have their original working propane light fixtures inside. That made me wonder if these carry the same dangers as unvented heaters? When using these lights do folks need to crack a window or vent? I've only seen this type of light in an Egg once and I think it was a Trail Mite or something like that but it do show the light illuminated so it was working. They look neat but I wonder about their safety. Propane lights would save battery drain.

Just Curios.....
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I don't know about in a small camper but the Amish have propane lights in their homes.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Yes to your question, any time you are burning fossil fuels you have to have a vent for air to come in (since oxygen is being used up) and carbon monoxide to exit. Modern propane heaters with catalytic converters MAY turn all the CO to CO2 but I wouldn't count on it, and the older ones definitely won't.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
You can get them new, cheap!

Humphrey Propane Indoor Light

There's also the concern the light or pilot could go out with the gas continuing to flow while you're gone, slowly filling the room with explosive gas. As unlikely as that is, I think it's rather more likely than the little pilot using up all the oxygen in the trailer while you sleep. Keeping the window ajar would address both issues.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i used one for years in a truck camper. It was nice for taking the chill off inside at night. I would never use one while gone, or while sleeping. Yes, a small crack in the roof vent made it fine inside.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
A trailer my parents had when I was a child had them, yep there has to be fresh air. But from what I can remember they were bright. Personally for me, ummmmm I wouldn't ever use them in a Casita! To much carpet !
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I had a coleman propane lantern years ago. As I recall the top got extremely hot which is why I stopped using it indoors. It required the use of a mantle, silk I think, that was very fragile and expensive. It doubt it would survive the jarring of traveling down the road. Then again maybe they use something different today. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #8

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
I have a Cloud which I am restoring. It has the propane latern, original equipment. I love these lamps. No power required and alwaye ready to go (as long as the porpane hols out!).
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I love the soft glow of a flickering flame over the harshness of a bulb. But, a couple of things to consider in regard to fossil fuel lighting appliances:
1.) They create soot which will coat anything within several feet of them while in operation, and
2.) They also emit a LOT of heat, so make sure you have very good clearances to any combustible surfaces, particularly directly over the top!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i personally have never had soot using an RV propane stove nor propane light during the 60's and 70's era campers when they were common. The roof was void of soot from the lantern. Greg, when you light your propane stove and look under your vent hood in your RV, is it then covered in soot? Propane burns clean from my limited experience. But like you mention, common sense and clearance solves the issue. But casita Rat fur, now that application scares me for some reason with an old style propane lantern. Cheers
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Gas Lights

I pulled my gas light out of my 1971 Boler and installed LED lights as i am going for a modern more efficient look. I am not a big fan of things burning inside my camper. The stove is the only thing I will use and have not used my heater. I am a summer warm weather camper. LOL
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Melissa, Did you happen to catch that British Thompson camper that was at Scamp Camp? It had the propane lights with the mantles. We had a similar camper when we lived in England and I was surprised to see those gas mantel lights in there, but they worked! In England they were good for taking the chill off on a damp cold night, but might not have the same appeal in FL or TX in the summer.
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #13

Oh man, I missed it! Anybody get any pix??

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
Melissa, Did you happen to catch that British Thompson camper that was at Scamp Camp? It had the propane lights with the mantles. We had a similar camper when we lived in England and I was surprised to see those gas mantel lights in there, but they worked! In England they were good for taking the chill off on a damp cold night, but might not have the same appeal in FL or TX in the summer.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have one in my 70s rig, and I love it. It is placed right over the stove and it is under the hood. There is a vent above it on the wall placed there by the manufacturer specifically for it. It can be closed when the lamp is not in use.

It takes the chill off in the evening and lights the trailer very nicely. It came with the trailer and I really ddn't think much of it at the time. I had to use it at first as my 12v system was not installed and neither were my LEDs. I like it so much that I use it even after I did all the updates.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #15

Cool Gina, can we see a pix??
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Our Compact JR has one (factory installed Coleman) and I added one to our Scamp (Humphrey). As using any open flame propane device, a little venelation is needed. But, both trailers leak enough air, that even with all the windows buttoned up, one probably would be safe. (notice I said probably- we always have the top vent cracked)
Nice and bright, easy to read by. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #17

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'd like to replace the malfunctioning Coleman (Original equipment) in mine with a new gas lamp. I can't imagine it would be very hard to do.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane