Interior Vinyl Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 8 ft Jayco Pop-up
Hello,

I have another question for the fiberglass experts. I found a love bug camper that is stripped on the interior. The vinyl that covers the walls has been taken off. Would this be a hard thing to repair or do I just need to look elsewhere for a camper? Thanks and God Bless.

Jake <><
Jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Hi -

There are many on this forum who have replaced the insulation on their trailers. Older Scamps and maybe your LB used Ensolite, there is a link on the homepage where you can order it. Some people have used carpet on the walls and ceiling - this is the way some Casitas were manufactured. You can also order marine headliner aka "rat fur" as used in the new Scamps. Search the archives and you will find threads on the subject.

How difficult it is depends on how handy you are. But it is totally doable and many have done it.
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
If the inside of the trailer is stripped down to the fiberglass they've already done the hard part. If I were restoring a trailer I'd put up a double-layer of Reflectix insulation (this is what Scamp uses) and cover it with Scamp-like "rat-fur" or low-pile outdoor carpet. Either can be applied using a spray contact adhesive . . . it's very do-able, just plan on being patient and accept that it's a long, sticky job. Wear eye protection and WEAR A NIOSH RESPIRATOR to protect your lungs while working with spray adhesives.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Thumbs up

Peter -
You have some incredibly innovative solutions on your hobby page. Thanks for sharing.

I have a '72 CJ that we purchased just three weeks before our Big Trip. Now we're back and ready to really make it ours. (Hey, I got the propane, water and electric working before we left...now it's time for the comforts!) Fortunately I did NOT remove the Reflectix that the previous owner had installed! REALLY was helpful. However, it's ugly as sin. (Maybe I SHOULD have gone with the Area 51 theme...then it would have fit in just fine.)

Out of curiousity, why do you say you'd install a double layer?

Also, if the Reflectix is glued to the walls, as mine is, will gluing the ratfur to the insulatino really work, or will the weight just pull the insulation off the wall?

What about some sort of thin wood skin, like door skin? Anyone done this? That's more the "look" I'd like, though clearly my little 'glass trailer isn't about looks!

Jen

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
What about some sort of thin wood skin, like door skin? Anyone done this? That's more the "look" I'd like, though clearly my little 'glass trailer isn't about looks!

Jen
Have you considered "Contact Paper" which is really a vinyl:

http://www.designyourwall.com/store/Decora...pers-c-129.html

I would think that would work fine, and you would have a lot of selection as to the look.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... "Our Escape Hatch" interior is covered with insulation and then a smooth vinyl fuzzy backed material. I believe it is the same material used in aircraft interiors. It is very pleasant and easy to wipe clean and I am sure Reace wouldn't mind answering ???'s via email.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Out of curiousity, why do you say you'd install a double layer?
Mostly because our Scamp has a double layer of Reflectix and it seems to be reasonably effective, keeping most (but not all) of the cold out.

Also, if the Reflectix is glued to the walls, as mine is, will gluing the rat fur to the insulatino really work, or will the weight just pull the insulation off the wall?

That depends on what kind of adhesive you use. A good-quality contact adhesive doesn't have a lot of bonding strength on a square-inch by square-inch basis, but the amount of weight it can hold with a full square foot of coverage is impressive. Easily enough to hold the Reflectix and covering in-place.

What about some sort of thin wood skin, like door skin?

That's certainly an option. The advantage of carpet/cloth/vinyl covering is it's lightweight and you can go around corners easily, but a trailer with lightweight wood paneling on the walls and carpet, rat-fur, or vinyl on the ceiling is certainly an option!

Because they have straight sides leading up to the belly band another option for your Hunter/Compact if you do decide to go with paneling is to buy foil-backed 4'x8' foam panel insulation (also sold in 2'x4' sizes) from a hardware store. It's a bit heavier than Reflectix, but has a higher insulating value and is much cheaper.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Because they have straight sides leading up to the belly band another option for your Hunter/Compact if you do decide to go with paneling is to buy foil-backed 4'x8' foam panel insulation (also sold in 2'x4' sizes) from a hardware store. It's a bit heavier than Reflectix, but has a higher insulating value and is much cheaper.
The Reflectix (one layer) is already on, so it'll probably stay on. I trimmed up the oddball edges today after I cut the carpet (AH what a difference THAT made). Still looking into the fur v. paneling deal. But must be off...family heading out. Pictures later.

Thanks!

Jen

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote