International Story Telling Center - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
International Story Telling Center

We have been in Jonesborough, TN this week to attend a wending. It turned out to be the International Story Telling Weekend. Unfortunately the wedding kept us from attending this yearly event but we hope to be here next October. Fortunately from May thru October they have almost daily afternoon story telling performances by professional tellers. we went today and it was absolutely great.

This is a marvelous part of the country and should not be missed.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:18 PM   #2

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
It's in our bucket list. Maybe we'll see you there next year. Thanks for the information on your travels.
Marky

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:29 AM   #3

Florida
Today's teller was more than a story teller, she had wonderful voice control, changing it to reflect each character and the emotion of the moment. Her stage motions generated a physical scene. Teller and actress, truly brilliant. No recordings were allowed except she recorded her performance to be able to critique herself.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-12-2016, 06:34 AM   #4

Florida
More TN

Greenville TN is the home of the 17th President of the UNited States, ANdrew Johnson. All three of the homes he occupied in the area are still here and can be toured. His family gave his last home to the Park Service and most of its furnishings were his.

I admit to knowing little about Andrew Johnson and left with a better feeling for this little known President. He like President Truman was of the common man, no lawyer here. He started his life as a little educated tailor, his log cabin home and place of business is there for you to see.

He was the only southern senator who did not walk out when the nation split into civil war, he believed in the constitution and he union as did much of eastern TN.

One interesting aspect was to increase his speaking ability he would walk to Tusculum college to participate in their debating society. It was a 5 mile walk each way. The walk had educational value, time to think about your positions and time to critique your performance. WHen's the last time you walked 10 miles in an evening? Certainly a different time, and different people.

While on the subject, Davy Crocket was born in nearby Limestone, TN. His home is located in Davy Crocket State Park, a nice riverside campground. Davy Crocket, another common man who made it to WA as a representative to the Congress, though he spoke 'rough frontier' he had uncommon thoughts that today would be recognized for their value.

Without being too political, the views of the common man seem to be missing in WA, both Johnson and Crocket would make good neighbors.

It's apparent to Ginny and I that the knob and hollow region of the country would be a good place to live. Though neither of us are too religious we appreciate the sincere religious values of these southern folks. I never mind when a store clerk says to me "have a blessed day'.

We've driven here from northern MN and the 'colors' are following us. You may not know but people from NE always feel it's the only region of the country where the leaves change colors, of course this is a local bias, We've been here for a week and it's apparent that the trees of the hills around us are changing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #5

Name: Lapsley
Trailer: currently saving for an Oliver
Tennessee
Welcome to East Tennessee! I live in Kingsport/Blountville area about 30 miles from Jonesborough. Moved here in 1981 and it would indeed take a lifetime to explore and experience all that is here to offer. Enjoy your stay.
Laps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #6

Florida
Laps,

One of the best parts of RVing, is being able to learn something every day. Today was stunning in terms of learning.

You are correct, eastern TN is a joy and we've just begun. Unfortunately we have to leave in the morning. Today we visited the Rocky Mount Museum. The live re-enactors there were absolutely the best we've seen. Ginny and I were the only ones on the tour and took a leisurely 3 hours learning about how people managed to live in the late 1700's.

Just an amazing place and well worth anyone's time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #7

Florida
For you that enjoy a challenge.

What is in the first picture?

Attached Thumbnails
1476311491571.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #8

Florida
Oops. In the first picture what is the meaning of each color bottle.?

In the second picture the white substance is sugar. Why the blue paper? What is the blue? It wraps the sugar but why.

Attached Thumbnails
1476311534596.jpg   1476311608778.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #9

Florida
A child with blond hair is often called a tow head. Where does this come from?

Attached Thumbnails
1476311867999.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #10

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
"tow" = "flax" which is the plant that linen is made from. Think of the color of undyed linen, pale yellow, nearly white. There you go. Isn't the answer in the photo there?

What are the answers to the other photos?

Norm and Ginny, you have such a vibrant, positive attitude--you're both so "young at heart!" Admirable, if not always replicable.

BEST
Kai