Intimidated... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
...we’ve also enjoyed some nice KOA’s.
Not to trash a brand Mike, but we are still looking for that elusive "nice" KOA. We've seen one. For us, the others we've seen aren't nice at all. And what's with the dilapidated trailers at many KOAs that haven't moved in a year with seemingly permanent residents? We didn't even know KOA had those kind of renters until we saw it more than once. Add to that the typical KOA is in desperate need of renovation or maintenance, and we would much rather boondock if we can find the right place. If we have to go with a nationally affiliated chain, we've had much better luck with 1000 Trails campgrounds.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Have fun mike enjoy your glass we love our casita Im living in it right now working a ski resort 😃
Snoopwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Not to trash a brand Mike, but we are still looking for that elusive "nice" KOA.
Yep, there are some KOA’s I wouldn’t go near. We’ve also had good luck with 1000 Trails. We’ve also had some great boondocking sites. I just like having options. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #24

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
The metal teardrop is in storage because the owner can't keep it at his place, according to the staff here.

Right now KOA works for us. As truths change, needs change. It's all good.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a nice little KOA, owned by a great couple, in Vermont where we attend a vintage camper rally twice every year. And another a half hour from home that is very nice and has just started doing a vintage rally. We also usually stop at the Natural Bridge VA KOA on our way north and south every year. Did the one Mitzi is at for just a one night stop, and although it could use a little work the people were extremely nice and do a free pancake breakfast. Would stop there again.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Some years ago, we went to the SCCA Runoffs and got a spot next to the rail on turn one.
A little while after we arrived, a big class "C" pulled in right next to us.
I opened the curtain on my Scamp13 and looked out to see what was up.
All I saw was a big white wall, so I looked straight up the side of it and well above my roof on the side of the MOHO were the words..."Minnie Winnie".
I guess its just a matter of perspective!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #27

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We have a nice little KOA, owned by a great couple, in Vermont where we attend a vintage camper rally twice every year. And another a half hour from home that is very nice and has just started doing a vintage rally. We also usually stop at the Natural Bridge VA KOA on our way north and south every year. Did the one Mitzi is at for just a one night stop, and although it could use a little work the people were extremely nice and do a free pancake breakfast. Would stop there again.
The people at the Natural Bridge KOA are nice. We reserved a 20/30 pull through for 3 nights on our way north and the previous person had spilled diesel on the ground. We asked if we could move as the smell was strong and they put us in a site that had a deck at no up charge. So we had our little camper among the behemoths with a nice wooden deck to relax on.
I'd like to go up there in the fall sometime. I imagine the trees in the area are beautiful when they change color.

They spent the days we were there cleaning up the other site and left it unoccupied. I wonder if they charged the offending camper.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Natural Bridge is one of the better KOAs IMO. Nicely wooded and far enough off the highway so it is relatively quiet. And a great restaurant in close proximity.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:04 AM   #29

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
In some of the gulf coast beach campgrounds, if you drop a drive wheel off the asphalt roadway or the camp site concrete pad, you're stuck spinning in deep granular sand. So seasoned visitors know not to cut corners. But for newbies who try and fail, the camp host usually has a local tow truck company on standby and speed-dial. Easy money for the tow truck driver. Embarrassing for the stuck driver when all the folks camping nearby come over to witness the commotion.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #30

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
most campgrounds are filled with all sorts of "rvs", i've even seen many folks in tents. i look at the larger rigs, see the owners struggling to get them parked, unpacked. often they spend a huge amt of time fiddling with them while i'm hiking, birding, enjoying the surroundings. what is truly sad to me is noticing the big rig owners staying INSIDE their rigs the majority of the time, usually with the big screen tv blasting.
to each his own, but i wouldn't trade mine for any of theirs. like others have said, i park as far off the road as possible and keep my insurance current. nothing and no one is going to intimidate me while i'm enjoying this wonderful lifestyle i've chosen in retirement!
safe travels...............
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #31

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
KOAs have come off as sort of "exclusive" in my experience, though my experience with them is very limited. When I was traveling and living out of my little Toyota Chinook, I'd often stop by campgrounds and ask how much they charged to dump tanks, fill water, and allow a shower. KOA always turned me away. So it's interesting to hear how dumpy many are.

I definitely enjoyed driving down the interstate in the Chinook, passing or being passed by gigantic motorhomes. I would try not to feel superior, but I'd definitely feel like, and probably have a look on my face that said, "you really need all that?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	114744
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #32

Name: name goes here
Trailer: Travco
Texas
Dang, lots of class A haters here!
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Travcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Dang, lots of class A haters here!
We are fiberglass trailer owners and I am happy to tell you that I really like the Travcos. On of my brother’s friends spent considerable time restoring one and putting a rebuilt 440 engine in it. Came out beautiful. I usually take a couple of pictures if I’m in a campground with a Travco, Vixen, Westphalia or other not so common campers, especially if they are having a little rally. To each his own.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I find myself attracted to RVs of many types that have clean style, compact size, clever use of space, and quality craftsmanship.

Solid surface countertops, fake fireplaces, built-in laundries, entertainment centers... meh!

At the beach we always take one of the less expensive "inland" sites, meaning across the driveway from the premium ocean-view sites. The first day this year a vintage orange VW camper occupied the site across from us. It made a classic SoCal view silhouetted against the ocean and the setting sun. Sadly, they left the second day and a huge, ugly toyhauler parked diagonally across the entire site. Not even a sliver of ocean in sight. They paid for the view and we didn't, of course. But smaller RV's sure make better neighbors.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #35

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Murphy's Law on RV'ing: The bigger it is, the less you will use it.

I take my 16' Casita out at least twice a month. Park it wherever it will fit.
Inside or underneath buildings, parking garages.
Back when I had an A-Frame trailer, I would confuse the security people, they would ask "Just how did you get that thing in here?"
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #36

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Zacho in our tenting days we somehow wound up at a koa. they put tents in that little circle and charge big prices. I avoid them like the plague!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #37

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
We have tent and cabin camped in several KOAs. Some have been great - like the Savannah GA, and Harper's Ferry KOAs.
Savannah KOA was quiet, well spaced, and the tents/cabins were along the lake shore. They were not expensive, and offered a great price for what can be an otherwise expensive trip (Savannah). This is also the place where we saw our first Scamp 13. It hooked us into one day getting one of our own.

Harper's Ferry was a huge surprise. The tents and cabins are largely separated from the RVs, and close to the woods. Fantastic amenities here like a bounce pad, huge pool, pancakes, movie theater, huge store, and family oriented events. Also really nice people.

Some have been not so great - like the Pigeon Forge KOA. That place seemed promising at first, but it's SO crowded. The RVs are on top of each other, and way too close to the tent sites.

The thing with KOAs is that they are independently owned, which means each one is managed in their own particular way. Some places really focus on the customer (and looking for repeat customers) and others are looking at the $ p/square foot.

Our preference is usually to stay at a state or national park with a bath facility, but those aren't always available.
JustBrowsing is offline   Reply With Quote