Introducing ourselves - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #21

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Here are some photos of the really bad things that need immediate attention, including a leak under the rear window, a crummy vent that I can see daylight through and a couple of dings in the fiberglass.
Shannen, if that's the worst you're going to fix right away, you're gonna have lots of folks here all stirred up if you complain too loudly! What a great little trailer! You guys scored. Have a ball redecorating it to your standards!

BTW, I'd recommend just replacing that vent with a Fantastic Vent or something similar. You'll probably need to run a little wiring up to it, but you'll be glad you did!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #22

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
My biggest concern at this point is the leak under the window and the damage that is there. I don't know what you call the liner on the inside of the trailer but it kind of looks like it shrunk right there from being wet. Can you stretch that stuff so you can but the rubber stuff over it? (Please help me with the proper jargon here. )

I know we made a good find. I can envision the end result so now we just need to get in there and do it!
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
I am posting some photos for you all to see... It has an awful light fixture over the sink.
Rick and Shannen,
I thought your light fixture looked odd too, until I saw Ian R's '74 Trillium photos which are newly posted in "Show us your rigs". If you can find a cover to fit over the metal housing of your light fixture, it will look great! Congrats on your wonderful new-to-you trailer!

Name:   ianr74trilliumlight.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  4.5 KB

Ian R's '74 Trillium interior
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Rick & Shannon -- You need to get the leaks fixed first. Otherwise anything else you do can be compromised or even ruined by the moisture.

I have been chasing a mold/mildew problem. The problem became apparent a year ago when I got bad congestion on a fall trip south for no specific reason. Turned out to be mold. First under the sink. Then under the vinyl floor covering. Now I have the fridge out and am replacing the moldy plywood box it was installed in.

I have found several small leaks around loose rivets and window frames. Any bare wood developed mold. Wood with a good coat of enamel or varnish is OK.

Check out Roger's wire shelving in his photos early in this thread. That is a very elegant idea, simple and entirely practical. It provides a great out-of-the-way place to stuff your bedding during the day that allows it to air out. Much better than stuffing it under the seat compartments.

I put a lot of time into a 'proper' cabinet above the back window complete with mitered door frames. Looks nice, but if I were to do it again . . .

That's what is so good about this forum. Each has opinions and druthers. But there are a lot of ideas presented here that should be considered before casting opinions or druthers into concrete. There is no shame in changing ones mind.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Check out Roger's wire shelving in his photos early in this thread. That is a very elegant idea, simple and entirely practical. It provides a great out-of-the-way place to stuff your bedding during the day that allows it to air out. Much better than stuffing it under the seat compartments.
Loren and all... credit where credit is due here... the trailer, upholstery, AND the wire rack idea belongs to Fred Greenspan, another of our members here... I just posted Fred's photos!

And I agree with Loren on the leaks. Leaks are BAD! Seal 'em as best you can for now... but they need a permanent fix soon. Then you can refurb and redecorate!

Roger
Old 02-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Fred Greenspan, one of our members, bought my Trill and they re-did the interior in an island theme fabric with new birch cabinet doors.
Roger
Roger,

Any idea what the metal looking brackets are that are holding up the wire shelf? LOVE THAT!
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Roger,

Any idea what the metal looking brackets are that are holding up the wire shelf? LOVE THAT!
Sharon, those are the factory brackets for the optional factory bunk that lived over the dinette!

Roger
Old 02-22-2006, 02:35 AM   #28

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Well, I just posted this under the Show Us Your Rig thread, but I also just got a Trillium (less than a week ago - on a lark really). I didnt know a thing about them 5 days ago and now I cant wait to restore it! Here are some 'Before' pics from when I picked it up - I've pretty much given it an initial cleaning inside and out and am just figuring out what to do next. I washed the original upholstered cushions and, except for a few broken zippers, they held up pretty well! I plan on sticking with the 70's look and feel.

Thanks for all the great info on this site!
Attached Thumbnails
Picture002.jpg   Picture014.jpg  

Picture015.jpg  
WendyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #29

Wendy - Bitten by the bug too, huh? There are great people on this board who go above and beyond to help out their fellow FGRV owners. If you can, please post photos of the inside of your trailer. Can't wait to see it!

We haven't started cleaning ours yet because it is too darn cold out and the hubby and I are on exact opposite work schedules right now (he works rotating shifts). As soon as we get a weekend off together, we will be spending it scrubbing every inch of our trailer. I did clean out some old chocolate bars out of the cupboard. Who knew that rancid chocolate could smell so horrible?!
Old 02-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #30

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Sharon, those are the factory brackets for the optional factory bunk that lived over the dinette!

Roger
NUTS! Happen to have any other ideas that would work?
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Wendy - Bitten by the bug too, huh? There are great people on this board who go above and beyond to help out their fellow FGRV owners. If you can, please post photos of the inside of your trailer. Can't wait to see it!

Definitely bitten by the bug - which I never expected or even knew about! I'll get some pics up of the Now-Quite-A-Bit-Cleaner Trillium 1300 as soon as I can!
Old 02-22-2006, 01:29 PM   #32

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Welcome. Wendy!

First, give her/him/it a good bath, inside and out. Check out the Buyers Checklist (on the lesft of this screen), which will give you an idea of any "fixes" it needs. Then, just start reading, do searches, and ask questions!

And, don't forget to name that nice little Trill.

Happy restoring....happy camping!
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:44 PM   #33

R&S: Heres a few pictures of the inside AFTER I cleaned it up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	inside_front_door.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1427

looking inside the front door

Name:	stovetop.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1429

steel wool easily cleaned up the stovetop

Name:	upholstery.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1428

I washed the original upholstery and it held up really well
just a few broken zippers

Name:	closet_door_before.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1430

the paper is peeling off several cabinets - easy to fix I think
Old 02-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #34

Wendy - Those are great photos. Please post more as you do more work.

I think we are going to have our first cleaning session this weekend. What should we use to clean the ensolite? We don't have mold or mildew but it is very dingy looking.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:03 AM   #35

Trailer: 84 Scamp 13 ft
R & S: We had some areas of mold, and the Ensolite was indeed dingy even after I took some bleach/detergent to it, so we decided to just paint it. I've seen others comment that it takes a coat of paint pretty well, and that really is the case. One coat of a semi-gloss latex on the walls, and a second coat on the seams looks like a new surface.
jefflynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:49 AM   #36

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Welcome, Wendy, Rick and Shannen, We made the switch last year from a stick frame to an Egg, We stumbled on our 5th wheel Scamp at the Oregon Gathering last summer. The folks on the forum have been very helpful. We live in Clatskanie Or.so maybe we will see you in April . This is a great time of year to putter away fixing things awaiting the first camping of the season.
above all enjoy
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote