Introducing.... The "YAT" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2006, 01:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Here she is, folks!!!

http://mocoloco.com/archives/000687.php#more

Feel free to comment...
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
There is a thread on that in the Element owners club.

"What the Honda Element did for SUV's, the YAT will do for trailers."

It does the "transformer" thing, folding up seats into the side wall.

Looks like it built like a brick, it is well suited for it's intent.

2-3000 lbs tho.. yikes!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #3

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
I like the innovative design and the fold-up beds. This looks like what I would do with a horse trailer...which is not a bad thing...there are fiberglass horse trailers.

Another manufacturer has produce a similar design, but lacking the elegance of the YAT.

Chariot Trailers

I wish US and Canadian trailer manufacturers would do something different. There seems to have been no significant design innovation in decades. Somewhere in the mid-west there must be a huge warehouse filled with brown and earth-tones upholstery fabric and trailer manufacturers have exclusive options on it.
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I wish US and Canadian trailer manufacturers would do something different. There seems to have been no significant design innovation in decades. Somewhere in the mid-west there must be a huge warehouse filled with brown and earth-tones upholstery fabric and trailer manufacturers have exclusive options on it.
WareHOUSES... plural I'd guess. Don, unfortunately the buying public WANTS brown and earth-tone fabrics. Every attempt that's been made to "modernize" or build a "european style" (or as they're know here "yurpeen") trailer has met with a sales disaster. Probably the most successful has been the Airstream Bambi CCD series, and while everyone who sees them thinks they're interesting, new, and exciting, the CCDs haven't been a huge marketing success. The standard old Safaris and Classics have waaaay outsold them. A few of the Indiana companies have made some trailers with updated fabrics and interior materials that, frankly, just look like they're cutting costs instead of being cutting-edge.

Bland sells. You're much better off to re-decorate yourself to your taste and have what you want than wait for a company to try to do it and make it a commercial success.

Honestly, the YAT looks like the inside of a standard old ambulance body, or a military radio command post trailer to me. NOT appealing.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #5

Trailer:
http://www.knaus-yat.de/ if you want to practice your German.

Weights:
1670lb unladen, basic version with no interior.
2460lb unladen, version with bunks, kitchen, etc.
3300lb gross weight (optional up to 3970lb)

Cost (at today's €/$ rate):
Basic version: $10,500
Version with interior: $15,800
Extra for heater/fridge/WC: ~$2,000
Extra for silver paint in photos: $2,900!

Gulp.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Here she is, folks!!!

http://mocoloco.com/archives/000687.php#more
Feel free to comment...
Hi: Outside looks like a horse trailer...inside looks like a nice place to park your pony Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
It weighs way too much for my tastes. I would also like it to be a little less of a box in the front and more cabinets by the roof area.

Personally, I would like the idea of the large back door but would like that door to form a kind of "floor base" that you could expand the trailer in good weather - like taking the stove outside along with chairs and table. It would be more like a dining tent but attached to the trailer.

Also, the expanded part could be used for kids or grandkids if it had rain proof sides.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
http://www.knaus-yat.de/ if you want to practice your German...
... and http://www.knaus-yat.de/index_e.html for the less adventurous (English version)

Quote:
It weighs way too much for my tastes...
This is not a small trailer; it has about the overall length of my Boler 1700, which weighs about the same. The body is smaller (closer to the 13-foot "egg" size), but the big rear doors, the structure required to keep the body rigid despite that large opening, and the need for floor structure to hold cargo loads, all contribute to higher weight than a typical travel trailer of the same size.

From the above website:
  • Overall length including drawbar (cm) 544 [17' 10"]
  • Body length with / without gas bottle locker (cm) 415 / 364 [13' 7" / 11' 11"]
  • Overall width / Internal width (cm) 221* / 191** [7' 3" * / 6' 3" **]
    • * Incl. external wheel arches
    • ** Not including internal wheel arches
  • Overall height / Internal height (cm) 260 / 195
Quote:
...Personally, I would like the idea of the large back door but would like that door to form a kind of "floor base" that you could expand the trailer in good weather - like taking the stove outside along with chairs and table. It would be more like a dining tent but attached to the trailer.

Also, the expanded part could be used for kids or grandkids if it had rain proof sides.
I like these ideas. As it is, the trailer is a typical "toybox" but in a smaller size and European style. Some of the toyboxes do make good use of the "garage" space, and setups like the new Airsteam Basecamp stick on a tent (without a real floor), but I haven't seen this "back porch" idea done yet. Anyone up for cutting up the back of their egg?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
...like the new Airsteam Basecamp...
That's what I was thinking: "It looks like a square Basecamp."