Inverter question - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
I have a 22" lcd tv I use in the Boler, I plug it into my 200 watt Motomaster elminator and it always worked fine, this weekend I tried a 15" Lcd (smaller and easier to move around) for some reason lines roll through the picture when using the inverter however when I plug it into my Black and Decker 400 watt inverter (noisy fan) it works fine. The 15"only requires 40 watts and the 22" was 60 watts, its not really a big deal but I am just curious why it won't work.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I have a 22" lcd tv I use in the Boler, I plug it into my 200 watt Motomaster elminator and it always worked fine, this weekend I tried a 15" Lcd (smaller and easier to move around) for some reason lines roll through the picture when using the inverter however when I plug it into my Black and Decker 400 watt inverter (noisy fan) it works fine. The 15"only requires 40 watts and the 22" was 60 watts, its not really a big deal but I am just curious why it won't work.
Not all inverters are created equal nor are all 120volt appliances. What this sounds like is the wave form of the 120 Volt 60 Hz output of the 200 watt converter is NOT a pure sign wave. The 22" television set is more tolerant than 15" tv is of 60 Hz wave shape.

Byron

Old 08-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #3

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
One TV may have a better noise filter than the other one.

TVs run on DC. They take the AC and rectify it to DC and in doing all this, some do it better than others and the smaller TV is not as good at doing it as the larger one. As Byron pointed out about the sign wave, that could be one of the causes.

Look on the TV to see if it will run on 12VDC. Mine does so I plug it directly into the DC system
Old 08-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite

the big tv will run on 12 volt , the 15" only runs on AC. Is there aything to watch for when buying an inverter?

The 200 watt says non-sinusoidal and neutral floating.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #5

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Is there a small box in the cord between the TV and the plug where you plug it in to the AC. If so, read what is says on the box. If it states AC in abd DC out, you may be able to run it on DC.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #6

Name: Don
Trailer: Compact Hunter I
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
the big tv will run on 12 volt , the 15" only runs on AC. Is there aything to watch for when buying an inverter?

The 200 watt says non-sinusoidal and neutral floating.

non-sinusoidal means it's NOT sine wave. electronics tend to like and/or require sine wave current, so that is what you should look for in buying an inverter.

When buying a TV for 12v use, it would be best to get one that takes a 12v input directly. Otherwise your inverter changes your 12v DC into 120v AC, and then the TV changes that back to low voltage DC at some point (either internally or through a "wall-wart" type transformer), which is very inefficient use of your battery power.