iPad gurus, I need your help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
iPad gurus, I need your help

I have had my iPad 1 for about a year and have been happy enough with it that my Mac Mini has pretty much been turned into a music box. But there are two things I haven't been able to figure out. The first is how to print through our wifi printer that is connected to an old apple airport router. The second, how to get pictures from the iPad photo onto the forum. So far the only solution I have is to email to another machine. It would be nice to do things directly from the iPad. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Raz what kind of a printer is it? and have you updated your firm ware on your Ipad !?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
I use a HP photosmart printer, everything works wirelessly and smoothly, using a Verizon router. I've used the iPad almost exclusively the last year
jgreenern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #4

Registry
Hp has some printer software that may help depending on which printer you have.

Have you updated your firmware on the IPad to the latest and greatest?
Do you have the app Air Port Utility installed on your IPad? If not it can be found at the app store for free.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
iPad Printing

I thought for the iPad to print you had to have one of two conditions:

1. A special printer with the proper interface. This is called AirPrint and only available on a very small number of printers.

2. Using an app called Printopia. This app will only work if you have a Mac and it runs on the Mac. Your iPhone or iPad can now print to any printer that the Mac can print to.

There maybe some other apps out there that will do printing. The key is it will not work out of the box, you have to use an AirPrint or app.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #6

Registry
HP has another App they released in Dec 11 that should also work. Its called HP eprint and it was created for ipad and hp wireless printers (assuming yours is).
Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreenern View Post
I use a HP photosmart printer, everything works wirelessly and smoothly, using a Verizon router. I've used the iPad almost exclusively the last year
Can you print directly via the router if your internet service is turned off? I need to be able to print from mine but don't have internet other than the ipad. I do have a wireless printer that connects via wifi and will print from my mac without being on the internet.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #8

Registry
anyway, the forum answer is that you need the forum app and then you can upload via that.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Raz

Raz, Do you understand all this or is this payback for that post of yours yesterday? LOL Keith

Ps: I call my young son and he takes care of it!
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Raz

Hi folks, lots of good input here. Thank you. We have an Hp photo smart printer connected to an old "flying saucer" apple router. Got to love it. Works fine with both macs. Unfortunately what I would like to do is write a note with the Notes app. and print it but there appears to be no print option. I am using IOS4.21. Down loading the newer OS is the last option because of our monthly data cap. I will look for the Hp printer app as right now I can't even print when the option is provided. Might be a driver issue.

For photos I tried drop box without sucess. Sounds like the photo solution is the forum app which of course I am not using. Thanks Bobbie.

Thanks again to all, Raz

Oh and Keith, don't blame me, it was all Fawn's idea.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #11

Registry
Take your Ipad to Starbucks - enjoy a number of coffee's and download the new OS :-))

The Notes program that comes with the IPad does not have the print function - one way around that is to email the note to yourself and print the email. Another option is to go to the app store and get the free Evernote app - it prints & its free.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #12

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
My Notes program does have the ability to print; you have to hit the little "arrow in a box" button that you use to email it. Then you can choose between emailing and printing.

We tried all sorts of work around for the printing, and in the end went for an AirPrint-ready printer.
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #13

Registry
I know the first few OS version did not have the print function on the Notes program that is stock. Which OS are you running?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
EverNote App for iPad

I would like to second the recommendation to download and use the EverNote app. I am a Windows desktop user, have an iPad and iPhone, my significant other has an iPhone. I was a heavy OneNote user on the Windows platform and when switching to the Apple platform needed a similar solution. EverNote is a great answer to anyone keeping lists, managing tasks, tracking events, doing research and much more.

I really like how I can update the note on my desktop computer with the large screen and full keyboard and then have it automatically appear on all my other devices. I use it for planning trips, keeping a camper checklist, book lists, medical notes. I have used the camera on the iPad to photograph a document and place it in EverNote, better than a photocopier.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I have not tried this for printing, but I have Splashtop installed on my iPad. It allows you to use your computer through your iPad, so if you use Word on your Mac or PC, you can use it on your iPad. It does require that your computer be turned on, but then you are using your computer remotely.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
anyway, the forum answer is that you need the forum app and then you can upload via that.
Maybe they've taken care of it, but I have always had to reduce the size of my photos before uploading with the Forum App. A quick way to do that is either to select them in the photo roll and email them to yourself at small size, or do a screen capture (simultaneously press the Power and Home buttons) or use one of the apps intended for this purpose.

If I try to upload a large photo it will just time out.

Good luck

Matt
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #17

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
The second, how to get pictures from the iPad photo onto the forum. So far the only solution I have is to email to another machine. It would be nice to do things directly from the iPad.
I had the same question. Here are some ideas:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Eric Driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #18

Registry
I use iResize to reduce the size of photos for Facebook, I guess I did the same for the forum. I don't use the forum app much as I don't like actually reading the forum using the app. But I did pictures once and they worked well with the forum app.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Raz

Appreciate all the ideas. Just started our new data cycle so now I can do some downloading. Thanks, Raz
Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I asked DW how she handles it. She uses DropBox between iPad and desktop.

https://www.dropbox.com/ipad