Is it common? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am looking at used Scamp from the early eighties and it doesn't have any of the "carpet lining" the walls as I had on the 1991 I used to own. This is bare fiberglass inside. I just want to know if this was standard on the earlier models and if there is any cons to this (maybe less insulation and nosier from the outside sounds)? Also, I am looking to upgrade to a furnace someday as this one doesn't have one but in the meantime has anyone used a Portable Buddy propane heater inside their camper? It's supposed to have a low oxygen sensor but I'm a little nervous about this. Thanks in advance.
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have never seen a Scamp without ensolite or carpet. Former owner may have removed it?

You would have insulation problems, yes. Glass gets cold!

As far as the Mr. Heater, lots of folks use them here, but be careful, they are NOT Catalytic heaters, so besides oxygen use, there may be fume issues.

I wouldn't sleep with it on.

I have slept with my Coleman Black Cat on, in freeze or die situations. But I leave LOTS of windows cracked for proper ventilation.

The Black Cat does stink a bit on it's first burn. This is normal. Not desirable, but a quirk of the model.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We have the Buddy Heater and just used it this past weekend. It only takes a few minutes to heat the trailer. We never leave it on when we sleep- only use it to warm up the trailer before going to bed and in the morning.

It does have a flame and we would never trust it overnight.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I am looking at used Scamp from the early eighties and it doesn't have any of the "carpet lining" the walls as I had on the 1991 I used to own. This is bare fiberglass inside. I just want to know if this was standard on the earlier models and if there is any cons to this (maybe less insulation and nosier from the outside sounds)? Also, I am looking to upgrade to a furnace someday as this one doesn't have one but in the meantime has anyone used a Portable Buddy propane heater inside their camper? It's supposed to have a low oxygen sensor but I'm a little nervous about this. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a previous owner removed it...maybe because of leaks and mold? Triple check the floor for wood rot! No insulation and wall covering means it's going to be make noisy living....from inside sources as well as outside sources. Condensation will be a problem in cold weather, heat in the warm weather. But think of the possibilities to make it uniquely yor own!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Sounds like a previous owner removed it...maybe because of leaks and mold? Triple check the floor for wood rot! No insulation and wall covering means it's going to be make noisy living....from inside sources as well as outside sources. Condensation will be a problem in cold weather, heat in the warm weather. But think of the possibilities to make it uniquely yor own!
i have a friend who is allergic to almost everything. she tore out everything inside her uhaul and now it is as clean as the inside of a natural eggshell. it had no leaking problems, she just wanted to be able to sleep without having an asthma attack. check with the previous owner if you are able. maybe it was a similar situation.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Get a Coleman Pro Cat- it has a small quiet fan and does a good job for me.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft / Dodge V-6 PU
Quote:
My Mr. Heater kept me warm this past weekend, outside temp 31 degrees. I do leave mine on all night, I've used it for several years in my pop up tent camper. We leave a vent cracked. In my newly acquired U Haul, the door seals were shot and we had plenty of ventilation. Otherwise, I would crack a window open.

In our pop up, we used the optional hose that connects the heater to a 20# propane tank (kept outside). We ran the hose under the tent seam. Otherwise, if on high, you will be up once during the night to swap out 1# bottles.

Mr Heater has come out with a new wall mounted, high output heater, under $200.

The furnace is your very best option. It won't take much to heat up a small trailer like yours or mine.
drews60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:27 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
This is bare fiberglass inside. I just want to know ... if there is any cons to this (maybe less insulation and nosier from the outside sounds)?
My 1978 Fiber Stream is also uninsulated. The inside of the shell is smooth and painted with a semi-gloss paint. I never thought of it before, but we can hear everything outside as if we were right out there too.

When I bought my trailer, it had a lot of leaks. In retrospect, I am glad that I have not had to strip out wet moldy insulation.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
When I called Scamp and asked about the wall lining, I was told that they switched (presumably from Ensolite) to the Reflectix and "rat fur" (carpet) system in 1987, so a unit from "the early eighties" would not have had the carpet. It didn't occur to me to ask if they sold any bare, but my guess is that someone had problems with original equipment Ensolite (mould?) and took it out (which would have been a big job).

In my climate, I would definitely want insulation, for comfort and condensation reasons, but people in different areas have different requirements and preferences.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Please spend the $25 and get a carbon monoxide/smoke detector combonation. I have a vented furnace and still like to have the detector whenever I use it. Peace of mind is worth the money. When I am not using the Love Bug, I move the detector into the house.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:33 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Actually, lack of insulation can be a plus when camping in warm weather -- Regardless of he insulation, if an egg is exposed to enuf sunlight during the day, it will become heat-soaked -- An uninsulated, heatsoaked egg will cool down at night much faster than an insulated one -- Best thing, of course is to park in shade or suspend something over the egg to shade it...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote