Is it just me, or are people getting more flaky? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Ethics and common sense, long ago lost by many.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Really?

"It’s strictly business and has nothing to do with manners"

I thought manners extended to all aspects of life. I guess not, for some.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Sometimes it is FIRST ONE THERE WITH THE MONEY ….
Old 03-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #24

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Bummer, sorry you didn't get the trailer you thought you were going to (both of you and for the same trailer!!).

yes, there are still folks out there with integrity. A few weeks ago I listed our old enclosed cargo trailer on Craigslist. It was less than half the price of a new one; it was old and needed new tires, bearings repacked, etc. But still in very good shape for a '94 and didn't leak (most important!) or have a rotten flooring.

I knew some of the folks that would contact me would never show up - that happens all the time when I list stuff there. The first guy contacted me within about 10 mins of the listing going live. He lives about 4 hours from here and really wanted it. He said they never come up in his area and he had missed out on them before.

I told him I would hold it for him until the next day when he was able to make it over the passes. In the meanwhile I had about 8 other folks contact me while I was going back and forth with him. I had more contact me after I updated the listing to say it was on hold. I could have sold it to someone closer (some folk said they could be by in less than an hour), but I gave my word to this other fellow. He came the next day, looked it over and handed over the cash. He thanked me many times for holding it for him as he said others didn't want to hold it even a day for him to come look at them.

I did contact everyone that emailed me and let them know it was sold. Two even wrote back and thanked me for that!

To me, that was the only way to deal with the sale. I gave my word, he knew others were interested and knew I'd sell it to the next person if he didn't take it. It's sad that not everyone is that way.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
Old 03-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #25

Trailer: Trillium
Flacky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
My parents taught me the value of keeping my word. "A man's word is his bond," my dad said on many occasions. He said if you don't keep your word, not only will people stop trusting you, but you'll have trouble looking at yourself in the mirror.

Has this sort of thinking gone by the wayside altogether? Or are there some folks out there who still feel this way?

So, I thought I was buying a FG trailer from a member of the community. His trailer wasn't technically 'on the market' yet because he was waiting for the snow to melt so he could get it out of storage. Price was already discussed, though. I asked him to consider me "first in line" to buy, and offered to send a deposit any time he was ready. He wrote back, "Sure thing. Thanks. I'll keep in touch."

Today, despite my continued expressed interest and desire to follow through, he sold the trailer to someone else. I am really disappointed.
I have already apologized for the confusion I created. I was receiving e-mails from someone named Mike Gazen. Who is Milke Magee? I'm not the only one who is confused. And for Justus C, he's full of BS. I did not contact him. Someone else on this forum contacted him and said I had a trailer for sale. He contacted me and after a few exchanges, he informed me that he decided to search for a trailer CLOSER TO HOME. For him to return to the forum and say otherwise is not true. HE submitted my info in the referrals section . My confusion begins when I thought I was talking to Mike from the USA and it was Mike who was going to search for a trailer closer to home. It was only then that I determined to sell the trailer locally and placed an ad on the internet. That is when Mike reached out to me and questioned what was going on. After realizing that I had confused Justus C with Mike's correspondence, I responded that I would accommodate him at NO COST AND NO OBLIGATION to transport the trailer to Ontario at the end of May IF IT WAS STILL AVAILABLE.
I admit I was uncomfortable about selling a trailer sight unseen. The flaky guy that I am put myself in someone else's shoes and wondered what if he's not satisfied or excited when he actually sees the trailer? Will he be disappointed? Will he feel obliged to buy a trailer after I hauled it 1000 miles for him? I felt I wouldn't be comfortable sending a stranger a deposit on a trailer sight unseen. You cannot see the imperfections, the small defects from a few photos taken at a distance. You can call me flaky and dishonorable and vent if that makes you feel better. I've apologized before, I'll apologize again and wish you find a trailer that you absolutely fall in love with. THE END.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Is it just me, or are people getting more flaky?

I agree, Wayne, but you shouldn’t tell someone far away you will hold if you won’t. Decide the rules of the sale in advance, communicate them clearly, and stick to them.

First cash or first call. Can’t be both.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #27

Name: B. E.
Trailer: still hoping and praying
Texas
oops!

Dear Michael,
Perhaps you should be thanking God for protecting you from a bad purchase?
God is still in control, whether you acknowledge it or not. I see this flaky situation as a good thing, now you will be ready for something better to come your way.

Blessings,
Bons
Old 03-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I’ve missed out on purchases a number of times in my life, I’ve also made some bad spur of the moment decisions. However, the three used campers we bought have all been excellent, as represented. and from very nice previous owners. My philosophy is that some things just aren’t meant to be. My advice, keep looking, be ready to deal , have cash or a cash deposit, know exactly what you want and let your gut feeling guide you.
Now more than ever, if it seems to good to be true it probably is. When we bought our first Escape, many people commented that they had seen this trailer and that it was a good one. We were more assured by the random comments of strangers than the price listed or the photos shown. This is why I often comment favorably on trailers I’m familiar with. I don’t comment on trailers I don’t know regardless of price or condition. Our 19 Escape, in fact, was listed as in “very good” condition. It was actually excellent and mechanically perfect. To potential buyers , don’t give up, a strong “Used trailer” season is just unfolding. Think positive
Iowa Dave
Old 03-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #29

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I wasn't going to call out the seller on this forum, but hey, the seller chimed in.

If I got confused and mixed up two (or more) different people, that's understandable. But once I had it explained to me and I had it straight again, I would have done what I said I would do ("Sure thing," you're first in line to buy this) and I would have pulled the ads instead of waiting to see if I could find an easier sale and not keep my word. Pretty much like Laura did it. But everyone's different.

As for name difference, I could produce my first email in which I explained that I was Mike Magee on FGRV, along with my real name (I use a moniker for internet security as many folks do). But as you say, you deleted it. And you said you had trouble figuring out your inbox. So don't put this back on me, like I fooled you or did things to throw you off.

I don't need or want your apology. It would have been nice to have the trailer, but I'm better off buying from someone else.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #30

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
Mike, don't feel like you were the only one let down. He told me he was looking for a May/June sale, I said we would like to buy sooner but I'd like to be kept in mind...two days later it was listed for sale.

It's hard to fault a seller for getting the best price with the least overhead. At the same time, it's hard not to feel a bit cheated. We don't know his situation, but I'd bet someone was able to drive in, put eyes on the trailer, and pay on the spot. Guys like you and I, thousands of miles away, aren't nearly as sure a thing. Of course, if you're not really interested in a sale to someone so far away, why even lead them on? Some mysteries aren't meant to be solved.

This response posted by Justus C in the Referrals Forum.
"No air conditioning in this one, but there is a spot above the refrigerator to put a window unit. If this wasn't so far from me we'd be on it already!"

You contacted me and said you were going to look for something closer to home. I don't take exception to whatever decisions you may make regarding a significant financial commitment but saying I lead you on is simply not correct.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #31

Name: dave
Trailer: no longer looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
I would never make a promise to someone that I did not intend to honor. But I would never make a promise to someone I never met to hold something. Nor would I tow something sight unseen by the potential buyer 1000 miles for them to view and maybe/maybe not buy it. A good friend of mine makes a great living selling cars and he advised me to always keep showing until it is sold. The point is to sell it, not try to analyze people's personalities or intentions. Many, but certainly not all, people who say they are interested flake out when reality strikes them and that just wastes time. Buyer on site with cash in hand wins the deal. I can promise that.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Haberski View Post
"It’s strictly business and has nothing to do with manners"

I thought manners extended to all aspects of life. I guess not, for some.
When I put something on the market for sale , my goal is to sell the item for a fair price and in a reasonable time frame . I don’t care if the buyer is polite or if he’s the world’s biggest horse’s ass .
I believe in manners and politeness to a point but as the old saying goes
“Money talks and BS walks “
Old 03-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #33

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Bummer, sorry you didn't get the trailer you thought you were going to (both of you and for the same trailer!!).

yes, there are still folks out there with integrity. A few weeks ago I listed our old enclosed cargo trailer on Craigslist. It was less than half the price of a new one; it was old and needed new tires, bearings repacked, etc. But still in very good shape for a '94 and didn't leak (most important!) or have a rotten flooring.

I knew some of the folks that would contact me would never show up - that happens all the time when I list stuff there. The first guy contacted me within about 10 mins of the listing going live. He lives about 4 hours from here and really wanted it. He said they never come up in his area and he had missed out on them before.

I told him I would hold it for him until the next day when he was able to make it over the passes. In the meanwhile I had about 8 other folks contact me while I was going back and forth with him. I had more contact me after I updated the listing to say it was on hold. I could have sold it to someone closer (some folk said they could be by in less than an hour), but I gave my word to this other fellow. He came the next day, looked it over and handed over the cash. He thanked me many times for holding it for him as he said others didn't want to hold it even a day for him to come look at them.

I did contact everyone that emailed me and let them know it was sold. Two even wrote back and thanked me for that!

To me, that was the only way to deal with the sale. I gave my word, he knew others were interested and knew I'd sell it to the next person if he didn't take it. It's sad that not everyone is that way.
Laura exactly the only way we handle any of our sales . In my granddad 's day people just used a handshake and that was good enough ,and their word . I can't understand how you don't treat others like you would like to be treated and they are alright with themselves . Pat
Old 03-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #34

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: David K M... Don't worry about it. "The cheque is in the mail".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 03-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #35

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Not an FGRV but I recently sold an enclosed cargo trailer. Pretty nice unit, very clean and weather tight. All the lights worked, electric brakes, etc. I put a slightly high price on it but as I said, this was a VERY good outfit with NOTHING wrong with it. I printed fliers, posted it on websites, told all the tradesmen I came into contact with about it. One guy came to look at it and tried to low-ball me. I said no. Another guy wanted to see it so I towed it into town and parked it out front. He never showed. I put a sign on it and a couple of days later a neighbor, just a few houses around the corner, made an honest offer which I countered and we made trade.

Now about buying an FGRV, just remember that baby boomers are aging out of camping/traveling and selling everyday.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #36

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Wow, language and religion coming up in the same thread. A rare day! I'm sure we all know to keep the language clean, and keep religion out of it.

Some of these exchanges do show why I don't shop certain places or buy from certain people. Personally I'd rather sell my trailer for a couple hundred less to someone I like, than full price to a jerk.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #37

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If you dont keep your word then you are a liar and you can never trust a liar.
When you take the polygraph for the highest of government positions and you lie, well then, you are not hired.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #38

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
My parents taught me the value of keeping my word. "A man's word is his bond," my dad said on many occasions. He said if you don't keep your word, not only will people stop trusting you, but you'll have trouble looking at yourself in the mirror.

Has this sort of thinking gone by the wayside altogether? Or are there some folks out there who still feel this way?

So, I thought I was buying a FG trailer from a member of the community. His trailer wasn't technically 'on the market' yet because he was waiting for the snow to melt so he could get it out of storage. Price was already discussed, though. I asked him to consider me "first in line" to buy, and offered to send a deposit any time he was ready. He wrote back, "Sure thing. Thanks. I'll keep in touch."

Today, despite my continued expressed interest and desire to follow through, he sold the trailer to someone else. I am really disappointed.
Yes I do believe there is a lot of flakiness going around. I just finished selling my 16' Scamp and even though I was sad to see it roll out my driveway I was very relieved that it was finally over. We have upgraded to a 2016 Scamp 19. I thought I'd share my thoughts and experiences in the event it helps someone else.

I had it listed on this site fiberglassRV, fiberglass-RV-4sale, Craigs and FB Marketplace. All of the flakiness I encountered was from Craigs and Marketplace. In hindsight I think you can make too much work for yourself with too much exposure. I must have responded to 30 "still availible" requests that I never heard back from after offering to have them take a look at it. I was answering questions daily, sending photos, etc. and after trying to be as helpful and responsive as possible, I'd rarely get a reply. I had several people offer half of my 'firm' asking price and one that offered $1000 more if I agreed to take cryptocurrency. I had several people ask if they could come look and when I suggested dates and times I'd never hear back. I had a woman from MT ask me to call her to answer questions and after spending an hour on the phone she informed me that she would need to talk to her husband and she doubted he would be interested. I think this is a common theme on Craigs and Marketplace where one spouse shows interest and the other spouse says no and they drop it. We have sold lots of smaller items on these sites and there are lots of no show but it's the nature of the beast.

I received a full offer from an out of state buyer who said he had cash in hand and wanted to buy it sight unseen. He said he'd been looking for over a year and knew what he wanted. He was wanting to send a deposit check and have me hold it until he could arrange for a family member to pick it up. When we reached the point of discussing payment (I asked for a bank check) he changed his tune and stated that he would have to do monthly payments. I backed out. I'm a firm believer in giving someone 5 minutes and if I have a bad vibe I don't commit. This guy gave me that feeling while we talked over the phone the first time. He wasn't too good at listening and kept talking over me saying consider it sold. Kind of a bully.

I had another supposed 'serious' buyer from out of state that called and said he'd been looking at Scamps for a long time. He didn't give me and flaky vibes at the time. He had a friend that that lived near me and we set an appointment for the friend to take a look. He then texted me and asked some questions including if there was one or two axles and any slides. This is when I knew he didn't know about Scamps. His friend came and looked but I never heard back from them.

At this point I was considering skipping over any further out of state buyers when I received an email from yet another out of state person from FL (I'm in MN) who had found me on Fiberglass-rv-4sale. When we spoke on the phone I had a good feeling as he was a former scamp owner and he and his wife were looking for our exact floor plan. My flake senses were not tingling. They sent a deposit so I would hold it and they later drove 3 days to get here. When we met.. not a flake. We had a good transaction and all went well.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #39

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm hoping to get the purchaser of my 2014 Escape 21 and my 2016 Escape 19 to park near me at the 2019 Escape Rally where I will be in my new Escape 21, sort like cpaharley2008's used Escape section.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #40

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
.... In hindsight I think you can make too much work for yourself with too much exposure. I must have responded to 30 "still availible" requests that I never heard back from after offering to have them take a look at it....
That is because of the way Facebook Marketplace is set up.. the blue box that says "Ask for details" looks like a good way to see if there is any more information, but as soon as you click on it, the "still available?" message is automatically sent. One has to look further down for the small "message" link to actually compose a question for the seller. I've had a few people reply that were just browsing or the like and didn't mean to send a message. I don't spend any effort beyond saying yes when replying since people who are actually interested will send a proper message instead of the automatic one.

After that, the best way to judge someone is not via email or instant messenger. Phone or in-person conversation give you a better chance to feel them out.
Closed Thread