Is it me, or is it this site? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I don't understand something. When i'm on this site, and want to "go back" after looking at a thread, or something, I always have to click the "Back Button" exactly 3 times to get it to work. It doesn't happen on any other site.

If I'm looking at the New Posts Since Last Visit list, the quickest thing is to go up and click on "View New Posts", and that always works the first time. But the "Back" doesn't???????

Any explanations out there?

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
It is neither you NOR the Site. It is your BROWSER. I bet you are using Internet Explorer. Switch over to Mozilla's Firefox and it will work much better.

Quote:
I don't understand something. When i'm on this site, and want to "go back" after looking at a thread, or something, I always have to click the "Back Button" exactly 3 times to get it to work. It doesn't happen on any other site.

If I'm looking at the New Posts Since Last Visit list, the quickest thing is to go up and click on "View New Posts", and that always works the first time. But the "Back" doesn't???????

EKW
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Try looking at this: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=29427
Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I use IE and rather than change the settings on my browser, I just right-mouse click to open the topic/link in a new tab/window. Once I'm done reading I just close that browser tab/window and continue with the next topic heading. Problem solved.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I use four different computers, with different browsers and operating systems. I NEVER use the back button on any of them while on FiberglassRV. I follow the bread crumbs. This image shows going from Keith's topic back to the main General Chat forum where his topic resides. Try it, you'll like it! BTW: following the bread crumbs works on all the major fiberglass sites.
Attached Thumbnails
Back.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I use four different computers, with different browsers and operating systems. I NEVER use the back button on any of them while on FiberglassRV. I follow the bread crumbs. This image shows going from Keith's topic back to the main General Chat forum where his topic resides. Try it, you'll like it! BTW: following the bread crumbs works on all the major fiberglass sites.
I"m sorry to be so Block Headed, but what are Bread Crumbs?

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Keith Williams...Like Hansel& Gretel...you spread "Bread Crumbs" along the path so you can find your way back.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
I"m sorry to be so Block Headed, but what are Bread Crumbs?

EKW
Look at the image Keith, then check out the links at the top portion of your window... bread crumbs. The hand cursor shows the link turning gold... that shows it's active.

This is the bread crumb explanation from Wikipedia:

Click image for larger version

Name:	breadcrumps.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	28741

This is the bread crumb from your topic Keith back to General Chat where this topic resides:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Back.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	28742
Old 06-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I find that if I'm at the bottom of a page, it is sometimes easier to use the little drop down box on the bottom right. Rather than scrolling up to the top.

It is automatically set to the forum section you are reading and clicking on the 'Go' brings you back. That makes me think it is an alternate breadcrumb link.

If I want to change forums, I'll use the down arrow in the box to select the forum I want.

I'm not too good at screen shots, maybe Donna will post some.
Attached Thumbnails
Bottom.jpg  
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
[quote]Look at the image Keith, then check out the links at the top portion of your window... bread crumbs. The hand cursor shows the link turning gold... that shows it's active.

This is the bread crumb explanation from Wikipedia:

Attachment 28741

I learned something new today!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #11

*** it is sometimes easier to use the little drop down box on the bottom right. ***

I never noticed that before. THANK YOU!!!!
I, too, learned something today. Yee-Haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I find that if I'm at the bottom of a page, it is sometimes easier to use the little drop down box on the bottom right. Rather than scrolling up to the top.

It is automatically set to the forum section you are reading and clicking on the 'Go' brings you back. That makes me think it is an alternate breadcrumb link.

If I want to change forums, I'll use the down arrow in the box to select the forum I want.

I'm not too good at screen shots, maybe Donna will post some.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
I have the same problem on this site, and this site only. To me it's much easier to hit the back button than scroll back up or down to the end of a thread. I've become used to it on this site and just click the back button twice when going back to the list of posts. I'm not a real fan of IE or firefox for that matter. They both have their little idiosyncrisies. I just don't understand how if it's an IE problem, why it doesn't happen on other sites. I probably visit 50-75 sites on any given day and fiberglass forum is the only one which doesn't recognize the back button on the first click.
Jerry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Started happening to me, too. I had no problem using the back button for a year on this site, and recently, l have to hit it multiple times, or just click on forum again and start all over. I'll try some of the other ideas.
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #14

Quote:
I have the same problem on this site, and this site only. To me it's much easier to hit the back button than scroll back up or down to the end of a thread.
To quickly get back to the top of a page, click the "Top" button in any post.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #15

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
It's not a question of how to get to the top of the post. Everyone surfs the net differently. Some of us use the back button a thousand times a day. It was just a question as to why it doesn't work as well on this site and I don't know the answer.
Jerry Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #16

Quote:
It's not a question of how to get to the top of the post. Everyone surfs the net differently. Some of us use the back button a thousand times a day. It was just a question as to why it doesn't work as well on this site and I don't know the answer.
It's doubtful any of the other sites anyone visits are usng the same version of the Invision Powerboard as FiberglassRV. Then, think of all the different operating systems members of FiberglassRV are using. Unix, Mac (everything from Classic to Leopard), Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7. Too, the different browsers. The best we can hope for is to give people the solution:
Switch off "Show friendly HTTP errors messages or provide alternate methods of navigation. As I said, I NEVER use the back button. That's my choice just as others have made theirs.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I log on and use "view receint post" Using the bread crumbs do not work on this so I have to use the down arrow next to the back and forward bottons (top left) and then find where I need to go. Usually within the last 3.

I have never had this problem with other forums. I think it is the way this forum is using layering, it comes up as seperate pages. Or somethng like this.
2cents worth. Not much of a problem for the worth of this site.
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #18

Jerry, I do NOT know "why" or "how" it is an IE issue, but it is. My daughter had been "suggesting" Mozilla Firefox ANYWAY, and now I have both. When I visit this forum with IE, three clicks for the back button. Firefox, one click. Dunno how or why, just WHAT.

Quote:
I have the same problem on this site, and this site only. To me it's much easier to hit the back button than scroll back up or down to the end of a thread. I've become used to it on this site and just click the back button twice when going back to the list of posts. I'm not a real fan of IE or firefox for that matter. They both have their little idiosyncrisies. I just don't understand how if it's an IE problem, why it doesn't happen on other sites. I probably visit 50-75 sites on any given day and fiberglass forum is the only one which doesn't recognize the back button on the first click.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I'm the same Jerry, back button no longer works on this site only, works just fine on other sites. Use to work in the past on this one. Just a little stange. Does anyone know what change happened. Change to the site setup? or was it the last Windows update that knocked it out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #20

Quote:
or was it the last Windows update that knocked it out.
It was the last update, you need to Switch off "Show friendly HTTP errors messages" in Internet Options, Advanced.

Sorry, we can't control what Microsoft does.