Is it possible to order an Oliver with a different interior color? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2009
Interior color and table size

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
We really like the Oliver but with 2 BIG negatives (for us). One is the interior color - my DW hates the shiny white walls everywhere. She likes the more natural colors, something closer to the natural light wood. Does Oliver offer an option to choose our own colors? It wan't obvious by looking at their website or their brochure. Thanks!

Oh, and the other thing we don't like is the size of the side dining table - we prefer to keep the bed area as is, so the larger area is not likely be used as a dining area. The floorplan would have been perfect if the dining area can accommodate 4 people (well, its just two of us, but sometimes we need to sit side-by-side).

Other than these two, there are so many things I like about Oliver - compactness, 4-season friendly, ability to handle 4 batteries, good solar panel sizes, decent holding tank sizes, high quality overall, etc.

I'm also looking at the Escape 21 and now the Big Foot 25B21RB as well.
Hello,
I had the same thoughts about the Oliver. Interior white??? but it has turned out to be a non-issue for me. I personalized the interior with my own colors - flooring, bed cover, pillows, wall decorations, etc. If I get tired of my current color choices all I have to do is change the little things.
The side table was too little for what I wanted so I made my own. I bought a scrap piece of wood at IKEA - about 30" l by 24" w for the table top and placed it on the existing table with velcro. It can easily be removed to make the side area into a bed.
There is no perfect trailer for every person. Fortunately, I found the one that works for me and I hope yall are successful in finding "the one" that works for yall.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: TBD
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenH View Post
Hello,
I had the same thoughts about the Oliver. Interior white??? but it has turned out to be a non-issue for me. I personalized the interior with my own colors - flooring, bed cover, pillows, wall decorations, etc. If I get tired of my current color choices all I have to do is change the little things.
The side table was too little for what I wanted so I made my own. I bought a scrap piece of wood at IKEA - about 30" l by 24" w for the table top and placed it on the existing table with velcro. It can easily be removed to make the side area into a bed.
There is no perfect trailer for every person. Fortunately, I found the one that works for me and I hope yall are successful in finding "the one" that works for yall.
Interesting ideas.... Were you able to do something about those small bench seats? I suppose you can make the table larger but not as useful if you can't sit in front of it...

Old 03-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #17

Bench seats and interior

I wondered if the larger table size would get in the way but it did not. There is still plenty of room to sit on either side with feet under the table. When I was looking for my dream trailer, all had something that wasn't quite like I wanted. Long story about how I ended up choosing my Oliver, but for me it was one of the best purchases I ever made. Also, one more comment about the interior, all I have to do is wipe it down with a soft cloth and I am done.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #18

Ontario
Quote:
I wondered if the larger table size would get in the way but it did not. There is still plenty of room to sit on either side with feet under the table. When I was looking for my dream trailer, all had something that wasn't quite like I wanted. Long story about how I ended up choosing my Oliver, but for me it was one of the best purchases I ever made. Also, one more comment about the interior, all I have to do is wipe it down with a soft cloth and I am done.
How big is the extended table? Is it 50% bigger? Twice as big?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #19

These measurements are for a 17 foot Oliver.
The original table is 23 1/2 " by 24". The piece I place on top is 30" by 24". The new table top took away 3" from each sitting space but I prefer the larger table top to a bigger sitting space and it has not been an inconvenience with less sitting space. I am still comfortable and have the bigger table top that I wanted. I did not extend the top out into the aisle as this would be in the way.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
I agree with you Francesca, the only difference in costs might be the price of a color pigment. The process of laying it up is all the same. Not sure if the makers of gelcoat pigments have "stock" colors available off the shelf which would make it a no brainer for color matching. We too looked at the Oliver in Quartszite and I was turned off by massive amount of white. That would be/is more than enough to keep me from buying one. Like someone here said, maybe the builders may read these comments and rethink production ideas.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #21

Ontario
Quote:
These measurements are for a 17 foot Oliver.
The original table is 23 1/2 " by 24". The piece I place on top is 30" by 24". The new table top took away 3" from each sitting space but I prefer the larger table top to a bigger sitting space and it has not been an inconvenience with less sitting space. I am still comfortable and have the bigger table top that I wanted. I did not extend the top out into the aisle as this would be in the way.
Oh, so your new table extends along the length of the trailer? I was imagining the other way... Perhaps a new table can be expanded in all 4 directions, sacrificing the "corridor" space a bit...
Old 03-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #22
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Oh, so your new table extends along the length of the trailer? I was imagining the other way... Perhaps a new table can be expanded in all 4 directions, sacrificing the "corridor" space a bit...
I've been in the 21' Oliver and can't see how it's possible to increase the width of the side dinette without closing off the corridor. In those rare situations where you need space for 4 or 2 sitting side by side maybe you can live with breaking up the rear bed. It's not that much of a chore.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #23

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
I've been in the 21' Oliver and can't see how it's possible to increase the width of the side dinette without closing off the corridor. In those rare situations where you need space for 4 or 2 sitting side by side maybe you can live with breaking up the rear bed. It's not that much of a chore.
Unfortunately, it will not be rare... We do 50/50 between sitting facing each other and sitting on the same side...
Old 03-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #24
SRD

us
Quote:
I agree that on paper, Big Foots are more suitable on my needs except:

- Its wide and tall. Its frontal area is much bigger than the other two and consequently mileage suffers. Its not the end of the world but I prefer better MPG.
- Its heavy. I will need to step up to a full size SUV like Tahoe, Sub or a Expedition. Not sure if I'm ready for that yet.

Problem with Escape 21:
- No space for 4 batteries
- No space for two large solar panels. Best they can do is 95wx2.
- Might be least well insulated of the 3, although it might be enough for me. We like camping during leaf seasons so overnight, it goes below zero.

I'm still debating.....
If I'm not mistaken the Oliver is about the same weight as the Bigfoot. That extra fiberglass inside is heavy. But, as you say, the Bigfoot does have the largest frontal area followed by the Escape and then the Oliver. Again, as someone already stated, there are always tradeoffs. The width directly translates into floor space inside. Either you want to tow it or loose it.

A good compromise seems to be the Escape. I wouldn't be surprised that a modification for 4 batteries is possible. You may want to look at how it's accomplished in the Bigfoot as a possibility. As for the solar panels, the 95x2 seems like a lot of power. What is determining your needs for something larger?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #25
SRD

us
Quote:
Unfortunately, it will not be rare... We do 50/50 between sitting facing each other and sitting on the same side...
Sounds like this feature is important so read on in my post that followed.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #26

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
If I'm not mistaken the Oliver is about the same weight as the Bigfoot. That extra fiberglass inside is heavy. But, as you say, the Bigfoot does have the largest frontal area followed by the Escape and then the Oliver. Again, as someone already stated, there are always tradeoffs. The width directly translates into floor space inside. Either you want to tow it or loose it.

A good compromise seems to be the Escape. I wouldn't be surprised that a modification for 4 batteries is possible. You may want to look at how it's accomplished in the Bigfoot as a possibility. As for the solar panels, the 95x2 seems like a lot of power. What is determining your needs for something larger?
We (both of us) use a lot of laptop power. Basically, our living style will be hiking during the day and lots of laptop use (+ TV watching sports) during the evening/nights. Doesn't sound a lot but they add up quite a bit. Then there's the fridge, fans, sat dish, receiver, furnace, LED lights, etc.

According to the solar sizing sheet, 500w will barely meet the demand, and I would need more than 400Ah assuming 50% max discharge.

Ideally, I'd like to have TWO 240w Sanyo HIT panels if possible which use both mono and poly cells which is good for both sunny and shady days. And to capture all that, I will need 4 batteries (or two of those incredibly tall Trojans which probably won't fit either).
Old 03-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #27

A larger table top can only be made longer and possibly the aisle side of the table top could be made with a part that folds up and then down when thru using the tabletop. I think that the improvised tabletop I have could easily hold two laptops. I have two big soft pillows to lean on while sitting on the side seats. Only the person on the seat closest to the bathroom can watch the tv somewhat comfortably. I am on the back bed with plenty of pillows as a backrest to watch the movies when the grandkids are with me or I make myself comfortable on the floor with plenty of blankets, memory foam, pillows. It works for us and we have the best of times making do! I also have a foot rest that I use when I am sitting on the seat closest to the bathroom. It just makes it comfortable to my feet somewhat elevated. The most fun of all is adapting the trailer to make it work for yall's comfort. There are definitely tradeoffs that have been well worth it for me. I would encourage you to look up Oliver travel trailers on the internet, look for Technomadia, and communicate with them. They sold their Oliver but they are super people and can answer way more questions than I can. I would also encourage you to talk to Robert Partee at the Oliver factory. He can answer the technical questions for you about the solar panels, battery usage, etc. I recently replace my batteries with the agm. It is not so easy to explain everything about the Oliver when typing information. I would not let a cosmetic concern like white, interior color discourage you when you look at the quality of trailer that an Oliver has. Initially, yes but when you add your own color scheme the white color is balanced and not overpowering. I looked at ease of cleaning the interior as the bigger issue than the issue of too much white. Everybody's needs and wants are different and I wish you the very best in your search for the trailer that is perfect for the two of you.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #28

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Just buy one and cover the walls (or have them covered) with what ever you like. Then have a cabinet shop modify the table.

Tags
oliver