Is it really worth it? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #57

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Is it worth it? Damn Rights it is! If you have to ask the question, then you just don't get it. You don't need a monster trailer and monster truck to go out into the woods to get some fresh air.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #58

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Since my wife and I retired 3 years ago we have spent approx 200 days traveling with our fiberglass trailer .Our average daily cost for camping is a little over $100/ day ( fuel ,camping fees ,sight seeing ,misc items) Our average daily cost when traveling and staying in motels was about $200 /day .I believe the biggest difference in cost is meals . Eating and drinking at our trailer is far less expensive than going out for meals and drinks. My wife is a great cook so restaurant food is not that appealing We spent our whole working life saving so that one day we could retire and enjoy life .Our fiberglass trailer enables us to enjoy our senior years

Old 07-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #59

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
My little Casita Patriot just sits out behind my garden fence until I can take the time off work to use it. But looking out the back door and seeing it sitting there just gives me a thrill for the freedom and adventure that it represents. Sometimes the dogs and I just sleep out there and "pretend camp". For me, the memories already made and the planning for those to come is absolutely priceless.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #60

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
We have stayed in some $35 motels, and it ain't pretty.
True that. I prefer my own bedding & pillows in the old Scamp to any Motel.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #61

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Very best of luck on your trips, hope it all goes well for you.

rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
I will leave home on August 12th. for seven weeks on the road. It will be the shake down cruise for the Trillium 4500 that found its way back to me after several years. The next major trek will start in December for four months in the sunny south. It will be a bittersweet journey but I need to do it, just to see if I can. It is an itch that needs scratching. If I survive I will have to have a serious look at spending more time on the road.

Thanks for opening up this thread. There has been some wonderful responses, feedback and advice. Full-timing may not be for everyone but it always drums up some interest. SD.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #62

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I think what it costs is a valid conversation, and on a topic often neglected. How many "project" campers come on the market because someone finds they can't really afford the cost of finishing it, or isn't using it enough to justify keeping it, especially if there is a larger expense (axle or appliances come to mind).

Considering how much one will use a camper is an important aspect of how much one would reasonably spend on owning one. It's as easy to over buy as it is to over pack.

Then there is the years of use to consider, I have owned two campers in 25 years, still own both of them. Lot of years to amortize the cost over. My sister has owned about 6 in 20 years, likes to trade up. But if it fits in their budget it works for them. They have 5 big trips planned now that they have retired so having the features and amenities they desire is important to their enjoyment, after the trips they will sell the 5th Wheel and TV. My estate will sell mine and then only if they can pry my dead fingers off the back bumper. I'm sure my carcass would hurt the resale value, not to mention handling and fuel economy.

I have camped since I was a small child (as has my sister) and throughout my adult life. I have had checklists for car, canoe, backpack and motorhome camping because the gear we would take depended on what type of camping we were doing and we did them all often enough that it was worth printing those check lists off. (anyone else remember dot matrix printers?)

The reason I camp is I enjoy it, have gone alone in the winter with a tent, with kids, with kids as adults, with adult kids and grandkids and with just my wife. That last is why I consider owning a camper a good investment. At home we work together, sometimes shop together (tip for husbands if your going to be outside a dressing room holding a purse make sure your belt and shoes go with the purse color. Black purse and brown belt and shoes? People look at you with such pity!) Do chores and take care of business.

We get some recreation in from time to time, going out to eat or to a movie, maybe to the park with the dog, or to see the grandkids in their activities. But much of our routine is "doing stuff". Camping together is time to just be together, enjoy each others company, discover something together, snack or make a gourmet meal. Ignore the news and tv, talk about the books we are reading. Sing Jimmy Buffet songs as we travel to the destination. Loudly and in my case off key (who cares as long as it doesn't make the dog howl)

One of our favorite destinations is middle of nowhere national forest. Bunch of woods and fields, no lakes (beaver pond you can hike to) no river, water, electric or scenic views. Unless you count looking up and seeing enough stars to make a teenage grandson say "WOW" when he steps away from the campfire and looks up. Or picking wild blue berries for breakfast pancakes only to change our mind and eat them all for dessert before dinner. What it offers that is especially precious is it is just us, or just family spending a few days just being with each other.

We don't go camping nearly as often as we would like, and can't with work schedule and obligations so it would make no sense for us to spend $20k on a camper or the expense of a heavy duty TV so we don't.

A small FGRV just works for us, cost used was decent, small size makes it so it's not a big deal to store and does not require a massive TV or fuel expense to get out and go. But does have something in common with being homeless, don't really haul around anything we don't need, but unlike most homeless we do have everything we require to be comfortable.

Sometimes it's good to remember how little it takes to be happy. A book of verses underneath the bough, A jug of wine, a loaf of bread -- and thou beside me singing in the wilderness. That is as close to heaven as I'm likely to get without a pardon. Works for me!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #63

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
"Sometimes it's good to remember how little it takes to be happy."
RogerDat

Nice post. I agree, one of the great lessons we've learned RVing is how little it takes to be happy. I don't know if I've ever been more satisfied.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #64

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Yes, it it absolutely worth it!

Yes, it it absolutely worth it!

My wife and I decided to get a trailer when we were on a 6,000 mile motorcycle trip, 2-up, (we love the outdoors!) traveling through Yellowstone for the second time on that trip and decided that we wanted a way while traveling to just call, "That Spot" ours for the next several days and just enjoy the outdoors. After a lot of discussions and research we decided to get an Escape 19'. This was in 2010 and although I still work full time we have camping with it almost 3 dozen times, mostly boondocking. We do not like crowds so we look for remote or non-hookup locations. For us, the whole idea is to get away from it all.

Was it worth it? The trailer was expensive but it is getting used regularly. We love to explore and have been miles off-road in the desert and have hiked and fished alpine lakes in the mountains, had many, many hikes, skinny dipped where you shouldn't, camped and canoed many lakes, fly fished in the rivers, lakes and pacific ocean, caught scores of fish and have witnessed extraordinary wildlife. Since we bought our trailer we have shared numerous memorable experiences together, strengthening our relationship, sharing great times with someone we love. Was it worth it??....ABSOLUTELY!!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #65

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
RogerDat, hotfishtacos, both very good post… and thoughts. Thanks for sharing and contributing.

rob
Old 07-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #66

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
OMG. My new 5er is less than a month old. I've spent 11 days out camping since pickup up on July 3rd. I figure my nights so far have cost me about $2700 a NIGHT and that doesn't take into account fuel, site fees or the new TUG I bought (57 more payments and it's MINE). The ONE thing I've gained is MEMORIES and those are priceless and NO ONE and NOTHING can take those away from me.

Priceless doesn't even come close to the description I feel when thinking about what I have already experienced and what the future may hold. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #67

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
$2700 a NIGHT..........................????

Why, that's a bargain.........
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #68

Oregon
Yep Carl, $2700 a night. I took what I paid for Ten Forward and divided it by the 11 nights I've been out... so far. I wouldn't trade anything for my experiences... absolutely NOTHING.

What the future holds, no one knows...
But forward we look
And forward we go!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #69

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yep Carl, $2700 a night. I took what I paid for Ten Forward and divided it by the 11 nights I've been out... so far. I wouldn't trade anything for my experiences... absolutely NOTHING.

What the future holds, no one knows...
But forward we look
And forward we go!
If you put it that way, it is now paid for and every night out camping from now on is a freebee.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #70

Oregon
Yeah, Ten Forward is paid for. I had a choice to make. Take out a loan and pay for the trailer, or take out a loan and pay for the tug. Couldn't financially do both.

Some say.. why not pay for the tug and take out the loan on the trailer (THAT interest you can take off your taxes). Yep I knew that. But if the world goes to !@#% I will always have a place to live... no "under the bridge" for me. And, yes it's a bit more complicated than that and only YOU can decide what works best for you. I made MY decision and am happy with it.

And more than THAT.. I have ZERO regrets about the decision to purchase a new, bigger, WONDERFUL Escape trailer... SWOON!