Is it really worth it? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #99

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Mmmm. The wiley hot dog and its big cousin the bratwrst. Sometimes lured out of hiding by diced onions and mustard. Best controlled by wrapping in bread. Watch out for splinters!

Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #100

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
SteveL

That certainly made me smile.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #101

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
I haven't read all previous posts in this thread closely so forgive me if this ground has already been covered, but I recall four specific extended road trips when we did not have a camper but really wished we had:
1) Planning to spend a night in Omaha, Nebraska, not realizing all the motel rooms within 100 miles had been booked for months for a huge fly-in air show.
2) Planning to spend a night in Rapid City, South Dakota, not realizing all the motel rooms within 150 miles had already been booked for the whole week for the annual Sturgis motorcycle rally.
3) Planning to spend a Saturday night in Reno, Nevada, before going in the back entrance of Yosemite National Park the next morning, not realizing the entire population of Northern California spends their weekends in Reno gambling.
4) Planning to spend a night out in the middle of nowhere Tucumcari, New Mexico, not realizing that ALL of those 10,000 (or whatever now) motel rooms they advertise on mile after mile of highway billboard signs can ALL be full on any random night.
Blame us for poor planning, but after a few trips like those, it sure is nice knowing that a hot meal and a comfortable bed are following right behind you everywhere you go....
Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #102

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Mmmm. The wiley hot dog and its big cousin the bratwrst. Sometimes lured out of hiding by diced onions and mustard. Best controlled by wrapping in bread. Watch out for splinters!
That is why it is worth it! The excitement of capturing challenging prey and avoiding the splinters.

Avoiding loss of mustache material when going after the roasted marshmallow is an added dimension to the challenge and excitement.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #103

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita 16SD
Florida
I like the fact that when I stop for the night I'm sleeping in my own nice clean bed.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #104

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4029 View Post
I like the fact that when I stop for the night I'm sleeping in my own nice clean bed.
Hi: bb4029... Or if there are bed bugs... at least they're yours!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 07-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #105

Name: Kenneth Mack
Trailer: 2008 16ft Scamp
Georgia
My 2 cents worth. We married in 1965 that's nearly 49 years ago. Camping is our hobby we both love it. Been camping when we could. We both worked. We had one child and she was raised with weekend camping. We kept camper packed and would take off and go for a weekend at the spur of the moment .Those were the best trips. In the early years gas was less than a dollar a gal. Over the years we have been in 49 of the 50 states and within 125 mills of any point except northern part of Alaska. Been to all of the best national parks. Is it worth the price. YOU BET IT IS. We are both retired now .Still camp a lot And still love it. We have a 1984 16ft scamp that we put a lot work in getting it in nearly perfect condition. Over the years have had at least one of every kind of camper made except a fifth wheel. Our favorite was a pickup truck camper. we also enjoyed a camper van. And that's my 2 cents worth Kenneth and Boyce Smith
Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #106

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
That would taken me 2 weeks to type that much in with an iPhone!
The trick is either using SWYPE typing, or even better yet speech-to-voice. I know my speech on my Android phone is very accurate, and really fast.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #107

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
By your figures camping may not be worth it for you. My experience is different.
I paid $5,600. for a new Pop up camper, used it continuously for 16 years, collected $200 for hail damage from Insurance. Sold it for $2,000. So that's $1,600. over 16 years. at about $5.00 per night stay in National Forests, State parks and No cost boon docking sites. Same Car or Tow vehicle owned for 225 thousand miles and used everyday for everything. So figure that.
Now have a small 30 yr old camper worth about $6,000. with a different tow vehicle bought new and owned over 16 years as well, still camp continuously about 14 days a month. My nite stay is still about $5.00 a night. Costs equal about nothing, Worth everything to me...
1. I listen to the sound of the creek lulling me to sleep at night, breath fresh air.
2. Eat healthy in the woods, & have fun
3. Get exercise, hike, walk, or ride a bike, & have fun
4. Relax, no stress, read, & have fun
5. Explore new places, repeat and refresh my memories of favorite places, & have fun
6. Most of all I see beauty, wonder and the power of mother nature in everthing. My passion is photography, which I do on every trip, & have fun
7. Learn many things, about people, families, friends, new friends, plants, animals, geology, rocks and minerals, weather, survival, & having fun
8. Are we having fun yet?
I cannot even equate your figures in my world...Even if I had more money to buy more costly toys
It's worth is invaluable to me.
It is not for everyone and that's OK
Old 07-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #108

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Pickup isnt a factor have owned one since I was 18 and always will
Not having to lug all my stuff up to a room when I am tired priceless
Not having to leave again to eat Priceless
My dogs are welcome Priceless
Sleeping warm in our driveway when the electric went out for two days last winter
Sleeping cool when it went out this summer Have a generator
My wifes health isnt top notch and just walking from pickup to trailer for use of the rest room is way more than priceless
Towing the trailer is the only reason she can travel right now again more than priceless
If I am towing 400 miles a
day it cost me 10 to 11 dollars more in gas
Depending on where I stay it runs from 7 dollars to the high of thirty five dollars per night
Motel 75 to 150 dollars a night
I bought a new Casita SD tax title and license around 19 thousand
If I sold it tomorrow I could get back well over 3/4 of that price
Like that ole Bobby Bare song all the above makes my Casita a Winner
Ron
Old 07-31-2014, 11:05 AM   #109

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Rob,

Thanks for starting this thread. Such a great breadth of responses of people sharing the value that has been added to their lives through camping. Folks finding singularity with the love of their life, and singles finding oneness in nature and the beauty around them.

Best of luck to you and your wife, and may you continue to explore and enjoy this wonderful land, however you may chose to do it. Life itself, is priceless. Don't miss the adventure!

Pete
Old 07-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #110

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Pete.

Life is certainly priceless. We live at the beach and a young surfer noticed the sky was getting heavy and exited the water. Walking up the beach he was truck by lightening and killed instantly. A doctor saw the event and was to the surfer in seconds but nothing could be done. We attended the funeral because that young college student's sister was dating our son. It was the strangest funeral because on like most the vast majority were young people. They had no perspective on death.

As you age it's hard to recognize it's coming. Everyday needs to be prized. I was lucky and unlucky, my Dad died at 46 when I was 24. It told me that life was short and really undefined in length.

I worked hard when I was young (under 55) but when my college roommate died it was an immediate reminder and we hit the road. We have never regretted one moment of it. The other day I wrote about how much we have spent. If I had considered that we would spend nearly 3/4 of a million over 14 years I doubt I would have done it, it would have been too staggering a thought. In retrospect I feel that series of expenditures has us to live longer and healthier, and more time, as you said, is priceless.

Have fun, life is short. It's so simple but missed often.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #111

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Norm,
Amen! I could not have put it any better!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #112

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Is it really worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
Conrad,
Thanks for you input into this thread!!! You must have the fastest thumbs in the world! WHY? Because to post everything you said with an iPhone, is unbelievable! That would taken me 2 weeks to type that much in with an iPhone!
But, you said it well and plain, where everyone can understand!
Thanks,

I use speech to text frequently. I have an iPhone five. And I'm discovering that talking to my phone is much easier than typing.

It is fantastic! I love being able to set alarm by pressing one button and specifying the title of the alarm. If you hold the home button down it'll do a longer piece of text.

I also use it for messaging "texting". It's much faster and all I have to do is correct a little spelling bit here and there.

I think everyone has a spirit of adventure. People like to travel and see new places. But there's also a homestead instinct; people like to have a home. It's hard to break that habit completely. On the other hand as we get older our time starts to draw to an end ; it's easier to pick up roots and move on in bold new ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV