Is it really worth it? - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #113

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Rob, I am totally with you when it comes to the kind of money you speak of.

And I'm with Skogan as well - heck I agree with a lot of what everyone says - We just bought a Ford Escape but had planned on that vehicle anyway with or without a trailer. My little Trillium cost 4000$ and I have not put much into it (not counting elbow grease) and figure I could sell it for what it's cost me.

Once upon a time I put a down payment on a 21 foot, brand new trailer while visiting our local RV show. I woke up in the middle of the night panicked I'd done something so foolish - over 20,000$ before taxes!!!! We retrieved our 500$ deposit the following day - I knew from this experience I am not for big(ger), brand new trailers.

We've had our Trillium out two weekends so far and we really like it - we plan to get out more - maybe not this summer, maybe next - it doesn't matter - it's all paid for and it's ours - and she sits beside our home waiting patiently for when we're ready to hook 'er up.

And that's how I feel

Old 07-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #114

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Home and Family

We have a very good family on both sides. Ginny's sisters and brother are very similar to her and so easy to be spend time with. My brother also is a great guy with a marvelous family. We are blessed in that sense.

What I have learned is that life is extremely busy for everyone except for us and some other retirees. We have found that when we 'visit' family, when return from long travels, the visit time is a much higher quality, more focused.

When you're always around, you're always around.

As to a homestead, unless it has some long term historical value, I find it more a drain than security or worse a place for stuff, much of which if I were flashing back with today's knowledge, would not purchase.

In a sense, though we still own a home, we no longer repair or replace aging furniture, the flower gardens, once a joy for me are now overgrown. I admit to the pride I had in our flowers, now returning from the road in July it's weed wacker time.

Now I do understand that I am a little crazy and maybe even selfish though Ginny and I have overtime come to the same conclusions. Before we started our travels, Ginny did not recognize the value of this life change. Today we're almost in lockstep.

As usual I understand the choices of others, our choice only one of many that are possible and one of many that would work.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #115

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Lucky is certainly part of it, but we've worked at it over the years too. 40 years of marriage this past June, and still in love. We have a great time. One grandson and another grandchild on the way. Life is good!

And we still like to climb mountains, just in a vehicle...

Frank

Congratulations. You are still IMHO a lucky man.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #116

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I have not been keeping up with this thread, but after a quick perusal of the posts, I'd say the answer to "Is it really worth it?" is, "It depends on the currency."

For me the answer is, "YES!"
Old 08-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #117

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Thanks to all for the great discussion on this thread. Had no idea it would raise so much interest when I posed the question. Silly me.

Had a pending family emergency lately which drew me away from the forum. But just this morning I came across this article written back in '09 which pertains directly to the subject at hand and thought you might find it interesting. Below is the link.

60 Square Feet of Wisdom: Carol Venolia's Eco-friendly Trailer Exemplifies Living on Less
Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #118
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Rob, a good topic and at times we wonder the same thing.

Four years ago as a retirement project/investment we bought a fixer-upper house/property on a great location a couple hundred feet from Lake Ontario. We are just average Canadians (not well to do) and live on a modest retirement income. It has been a lot of work and time but the rewards are there in this project. We have quiet neighbors and a great space to chill.

I confess we have not had the trailer out for a couple years. At times we wonder if putting up with the hassles are worth it. We have all been there. Noisy neighbors with barking dogs. Who needs it??

Anyway, we still have the pristine campsites in mind that we really enjoy and suspect once we get our reno project completed we will head out on the road soon.

I have to say Norm and Ginny has been quite the influence and the talks about their travels keeps the travel/RV spirit fresh in mind.

Our home base/reno project...
Attached Thumbnails
back yard house 009.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #119

Florida
The right time and place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Rob, a good topic and at times we wonder the same thing.

I confess we have not had the trailer out for a couple years. At times we wonder if putting up with the hassles are worth it. We have all been there. Noisy neighbors with barking dogs. Who needs it??

I have to say Norm and Ginny has been quite the influence and the talks about their travels keeps the travel/RV spirit fresh in mind.
Wayne,

I was surprised by your comment but do understand it. Sometimes what we do is not conscious, that goes for our camping style to an extent.

Noisy neighbors and barking dogs are not usually a problem for us. On our Newfoundland trip we were virtually alone in most campgrounds. On the way north we actually were the first person in every campground until we reached Notre Dame Provincial Park where there were a few others.

It helps to travel at the time of the year when others typically are not traveling if you are seeking peace. We barely travel in the summer, we live at the beach so we leave the campgrounds to families.

Another aspect of our travels is to avoid the "popular" places, hence the driving on route 9 across NM or route 90 across TX. These are virtually deserted roads, easy to drive and with much to see. Everywhere has these places 'you' haven't been to but have their wonders. Actually it was on route 90 at Seminole Canyon State Park where a fellow Scamper gave me the 'bumper' box I photographed yesterday in Preparing a 1991 Scamp.

As to noisy neighbors we accept the noise easily if they are people just having fun.

Like all negative situations there are ways to avoid them, go to places where the crowds are low and go when the crowds are home.

Before RVing Ginny and I began exploring all the Maritime provinces. I was in the midst of a start up company, developing prototypes and getting funding, so it was hard to get away. We began by exploring the provinces by taking time off when others did not, turning Thanksgiving and Easter into extended holidays and exploring when people were with their families. Those trips, certainly the 12 days in Newfoundland, are partially responsible for our life on the road.

Wayne, thank you for your comment, I'm always trying to figure out why we do what we do. Stopping to think is always a valuable exercise.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #120
MC1

Ontario
Thnxs for your words of wisdom Norm. We soon learned that avoiding long weekends at popular Provincial Parks was a good idea. Also our favorite time to go RVing was in September and early October. The colored leaves in Northern Ontario and Upstate New York are sooo nice along with the cool, crisp air of that season.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #121

Florida
Wayne, I think the fall is our favorite part of the year, certainly the case at the beach where 50,000 people added to our little town makes for a real change. Fall leaves are truly a wonder.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #122

Florida
Early Autumn

Maybe early color this year.

It's been amazingly cool for August, 69 projected high for Wednesday. There has not been a single heat wave this year, (3 days above 90). Of course the weatherman speak about pleasant weather and it is but quite different from prior predictions of warming.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #123
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Wayne,

I was surprised by your comment but do understand it. Sometimes what we do is not conscious, that goes for our camping style to an extent.
Sometimes I think it is a case of getting a RVing time out Norm.

My dad was an educator and had lots of holiday time. He also had an RV sales business on the side and traveled to Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc to pick up new trailers. By the time my sis and I were 13 years old we spent 100's of travel hours in the back seat of the family sedan. To the east coast every year, Florida, California, BC, and much more. No little league for me cause we were off down the road somewhere with a trailer in tow.

Then as a teen my dad started a trailer club that grew to 50 trailers. It was fun with the other teens but after that I had enough of RVing.

I't wasn't until mid life I got back into camping and that was not a trailer but a Eureka tent. Wanted to experience the outdoors. Finally moved up to a Coleman Pop Up and now the TT. For the present I guess you could say we are taking a break for now but I can see the call of the road will get our RV wheels turning again soon.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #124

Montana
Wayne that really looks like a nice project you have going on there, well done indeed! And thanks for you thoughts and comments. I hope your can get out on a road/camping trip soon too.

As always Norm & Ginny invaluable commentary on so many levels throughout this thread.

I'm not quite sure we could do what you're doing in the size camper you have however. For one I'm a restless sleeper, so we need at least a queen bed (what we currently have in our T@b) and ideally the bed arrangement would be lengthwise to the trailer so no one has to crawl over the other in the middle of the night. Neither of us are ready to retire, so for now its weekend warriors or grabbing a week or two off which for two self employed people is easier said than done. Since starting this conversation it has given us much time to ponder and discuss the situation in depth. To the point its highly unlikely either of us are willing to give up camping, but how we proceed is the next big question. And for what we want and think we need the price of admission becomes a bit steeper.

Since we live in the northern rockies with very volatile weather extremes especially when camping in the shoulder seasons, let along winter road trips that brings our selection down to two campers, the Escape 5 TO and the Oliver Elite II. Stick built conventional trailers are not an option. Cutting to the chase our preferred trailer is the Oliver, justifying the investment is the hard part. But looking down the road in a few years I could see us spending months on end in the thing, maybe never full timing but certainly taking extended trips a few times a year.

For us camping and the subsequent camper is a means to an end, that being the adventure often in wild places. Sometimes its hiking in the mountains or deserts, biking through the Tetons, or kayaking Bowman Lake in Glacier NP. I also make my living as a professional photographer so being close to these pristine and beautiful areas is often part of the process. For those with an interest in photography and wild places here is a link to how I spend some of my time: www.roboutlawphotography.com

I agree with you both regarding camping at peak seasons. Last year we were down in southern UT, south of Moab in Windwhistle campground on BLM land. A very nice campground BTW, but went up to Arches for a day of hiking. This was in May and never again will we do that. Its as if we were in Panama City Beach, FL at spring break. We did two hikes that day, Delicate Arch and then out to Double O Arch, both felt as though we were in a steady marching stream of ants. People were parked up to a mile or two away from the trailhead. Neither of us were prepared for this on any level.

It sounds like Norm & Ginny have found a better way of dealing with this.

Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #125

Montana
Wayne, thats quite the interesting background you came from, thanks for sharing. Your path has pretty much echoed ours, tents, then pop ups, then the T@b. Whats next?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #126

Florida
Wayne,

I do understand time outs. You see it in organized kid's sports these days where children virtually play as much as a major leaguer driven by the sports system. Too much of anything can be harmful. We take our 4 month break each year.

Another thought as I write this and not necessarily referring to your comments, it's not simply camping, but living and exploring, sharing good times together.

One of the best aspects of retiring is it's your time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16