Is It Worth It? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Member
 
Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Peters
I just tripped across a 16' Scamp, no bath(porta potti closet), front bunks, in really good condition except for some recently acquired bugs. He wants $5,000 for it. Is it worth it? Should I jump on it? I told him not to sell it until I got back to him by tomorrow. Anybody want to give me some input?????
__________________

__________________
Lynn Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 109
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
Quote:
I just tripped across a 16' Scamp, no bath(porta potti closet), front bunks, in really good condition except for some recently acquired bugs. He wants $5,000 for it. Is it worth it? Should I jump on it? I told him not to sell it until I got back to him by tomorrow. Anybody want to give me some input?????

What year is it? Is there any rotting or leaking at all? That is a really good price for a 16'er and I would be a little suspicious about damage, etc. But then again, maybe he just wants it to sell quickly and you just got a good deal. We paid more than that for our 13' (used) and it's a 2002 but it also has an awning and air conditioning.

Candi
__________________

__________________
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
The answer is: maybe. Ok... probably. How old is it? Axle good? Do all of the appliances work? A new fridge will set you back a minimum of $500. Does it have A/C?

Roger
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
I have to ask....Why the Scamp instead of the Fiberstream?!?!

Ed
__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Member
 
Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Peters
All my energy is going into my yard right now, as well as my money. I have to get some landscaping done on this place or I will hang a for sale sign on it and run! The F/S is to the point of needing finish work and I just don't have the time or motivation to do it. I've seen this Scamp sitting in a yard locally and yesterday it had moved, and a car was out front with for sale signs all over it. I stopped and asked if he wanted to sell the Scamp and I thought he was going to cry - he'd just gotten a divorce and was in debt and really didn't want to sell but felt he had to. It has an ice box, porta potty closet, front bunks, no awning or air, lifted axle, heater, carpet is still covered with vinyl. Oh, it's a '92. All the upholstery looks to be in good shape. All the rat fur is in place with no smokers melty spots. I saw no signs of any leaking. The door closed well and seemed to fight tight.

I'm meeting him at 7:00 tonight with money - he's supposed to have it all cleaned out and if I find anything suspicious the deal's off.

I wanted to stay fiberglass, just not chained to a project - another project!
__________________
Lynn Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
I don't think you can go wrong at $5k if it looks as good as you suggest.

Roger
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:24 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5
Quote:
All my energy is going into my yard right now, as well as my money. I have to get some landscaping done on this place or I will hang a for sale sign on it and run! The F/S is to the point of needing finish work and I just don't have the time or motivation to do it. I've seen this Scamp sitting in a yard locally and yesterday it had moved, and a car was out front with for sale signs all over it. I stopped and asked if he wanted to sell the Scamp and I thought he was going to cry - he'd just gotten a divorce and was in debt and really didn't want to sell but felt he had to. It has an ice box, porta potty closet, front bunks, no awning or air, lifted axle, heater, carpet is still covered with vinyl. Oh, it's a '92. All the upholstery looks to be in good shape. All the rat fur is in place with no smokers melty spots. I saw no signs of any leaking. The door closed well and seemed to fight tight.

I'm meeting him at 7:00 tonight with money - he's supposed to have it all cleaned out and if I find anything suspicious the deal's off.

I wanted to stay fiberglass, just not chained to a project - another project!
Of course by now you've either bought it or not. But here's a little pre-buy inspection tip.

One way I've found that works well finding hidden leak problems is to bring an awl or ice pick and poke around on the floor. Only in carpeted areas. They might not see the humor of acupuncturing a vinyl floor. Especiall poke flooring near windows, doors and other openings. If the pick goes into the wooden floor (assuming that's what's used) without much resistance. The subflooring is rotten. Then the question would be where it the water come from.

So did you get it?
__________________
Steve Walser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Doug Mager's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Posts: 2,536
Registry
STEVE, please remind me to NEVER let you near my trailer if/when we decide to sell it!!
__________________
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Chester Taje's Avatar
 
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
STEVE, please remind me to NEVER let you near my trailer if/when we decide to sell it!!
__________________
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
Member
 
Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Peters
Quote:

I didn't buy it. I got cold feet and decided I really needed to spend the money on this *&^*( yard instead. Whatever I get from the F/S will go into that project also. I guess it's back to tent camping for me for a while. If I even have time to get out for that!

He does have it for sale, tho, if anyone's interested. It appears to be in really good condition.
__________________
Lynn Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5
Quote:
STEVE, please remind me to NEVER let you near my trailer if/when we decide to sell it!!
You have to admit I do know how to pick 'em. 8^)
__________________

__________________
Steve Walser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not Fiberglass but worth a look Greg A General Chat 3 01-16-2010 12:08 AM
what's it worth? Isaac General Chat 6 03-28-2008 08:26 PM
How much is your MFRV really worth????? DanPatWork Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 25 03-25-2008 10:38 PM
What is it worth? Edmills Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 09-11-2007 01:53 PM
What is it worth? Paul Blood Classified Archives 14 07-16-2007 06:27 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.