Is It Worth It? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Peters
I just tripped across a 16' Scamp, no bath(porta potti closet), front bunks, in really good condition except for some recently acquired bugs. He wants $5,000 for it. Is it worth it? Should I jump on it? I told him not to sell it until I got back to him by tomorrow. Anybody want to give me some input?????
Lynn Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
Quote:
I just tripped across a 16' Scamp, no bath(porta potti closet), front bunks, in really good condition except for some recently acquired bugs. He wants $5,000 for it. Is it worth it? Should I jump on it? I told him not to sell it until I got back to him by tomorrow. Anybody want to give me some input?????

What year is it? Is there any rotting or leaking at all? That is a really good price for a 16'er and I would be a little suspicious about damage, etc. But then again, maybe he just wants it to sell quickly and you just got a good deal. We paid more than that for our 13' (used) and it's a 2002 but it also has an awning and air conditioning.

Candi
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The answer is: maybe. Ok... probably. How old is it? Axle good? Do all of the appliances work? A new fridge will set you back a minimum of $500. Does it have A/C?

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have to ask....Why the Scamp instead of the Fiberstream?!?!

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #5

All my energy is going into my yard right now, as well as my money. I have to get some landscaping done on this place or I will hang a for sale sign on it and run! The F/S is to the point of needing finish work and I just don't have the time or motivation to do it. I've seen this Scamp sitting in a yard locally and yesterday it had moved, and a car was out front with for sale signs all over it. I stopped and asked if he wanted to sell the Scamp and I thought he was going to cry - he'd just gotten a divorce and was in debt and really didn't want to sell but felt he had to. It has an ice box, porta potty closet, front bunks, no awning or air, lifted axle, heater, carpet is still covered with vinyl. Oh, it's a '92. All the upholstery looks to be in good shape. All the rat fur is in place with no smokers melty spots. I saw no signs of any leaking. The door closed well and seemed to fight tight.

I'm meeting him at 7:00 tonight with money - he's supposed to have it all cleaned out and if I find anything suspicious the deal's off.

I wanted to stay fiberglass, just not chained to a project - another project!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I don't think you can go wrong at $5k if it looks as good as you suggest.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:24 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
All my energy is going into my yard right now, as well as my money. I have to get some landscaping done on this place or I will hang a for sale sign on it and run! The F/S is to the point of needing finish work and I just don't have the time or motivation to do it. I've seen this Scamp sitting in a yard locally and yesterday it had moved, and a car was out front with for sale signs all over it. I stopped and asked if he wanted to sell the Scamp and I thought he was going to cry - he'd just gotten a divorce and was in debt and really didn't want to sell but felt he had to. It has an ice box, porta potty closet, front bunks, no awning or air, lifted axle, heater, carpet is still covered with vinyl. Oh, it's a '92. All the upholstery looks to be in good shape. All the rat fur is in place with no smokers melty spots. I saw no signs of any leaking. The door closed well and seemed to fight tight.

I'm meeting him at 7:00 tonight with money - he's supposed to have it all cleaned out and if I find anything suspicious the deal's off.

I wanted to stay fiberglass, just not chained to a project - another project!
Of course by now you've either bought it or not. But here's a little pre-buy inspection tip.

One way I've found that works well finding hidden leak problems is to bring an awl or ice pick and poke around on the floor. Only in carpeted areas. They might not see the humor of acupuncturing a vinyl floor. Especiall poke flooring near windows, doors and other openings. If the pick goes into the wooden floor (assuming that's what's used) without much resistance. The subflooring is rotten. Then the question would be where it the water come from.

So did you get it?
Steve Walser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
STEVE, please remind me to NEVER let you near my trailer if/when we decide to sell it!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
STEVE, please remind me to NEVER let you near my trailer if/when we decide to sell it!!
Old 04-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #10

Quote:

I didn't buy it. I got cold feet and decided I really needed to spend the money on this *&^*( yard instead. Whatever I get from the F/S will go into that project also. I guess it's back to tent camping for me for a while. If I even have time to get out for that!

He does have it for sale, tho, if anyone's interested. It appears to be in really good condition.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #11

Quote:
You have to admit I do know how to pick 'em. 8^)
Steve Walser is offline   Reply With Quote