Is newer better? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #41

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
Even better and many times more expensive is marine grade ply with a BS 1088 rating (this is a British Standard, but used internationally in the marine industry). That way you know it is a quality wood (usually mahogany - and usually the type is specified) and a true waterproof resin. But even then, treat the edges!
Marine grade plywood ( vs. OS is what we were talking about, or so I thought ...that's why I posted the description earlier.

It's my understanding that this is what makes up the floor of my '78 Trillium, but since it's furthermore completely covered with the same fiberglass surface as the rest of the trailer I can't get to any markings and tell for sure.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #42

Name: Don
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Michigan
Lots of good info here. Another suggestion, be careful of what I’ll refer to as the “Pounce Principle.”

A while back, I was on a tear to get a used Scamp and did. But because the previously owned units in decent condition were rare, when one in my general vicinity came up, I jumped on it. Not exactly the layout I wanted, but the price was good and in excellent shape. I was happy.

I had spent enough time on this forum to realize the model I had my heart set on, was the same configuration that most other prospective used unit buyers were looking for, too. In other words, the demand far outstripped the supply. So I settled for a terrific buy, but with dimensions I never came to accept.

It sounds like you are going to eventually get your trailer and I commend you on doing the homework. At the same time, I caution you against pouncing on a model or vintage of Scamp that might be dictated more by your perception of a good deal than by your dreams. Good luck.
strander100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #43

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Just wanted to update a strange happening....the guy with the 98 continued to post the ad all over the upper midwest every couple days....so i sent an email. I asked him why he kept posting it if he already had a list of buyers lined up....of which i was supposedly first in line? I got back an email saying that due to personal reasons the scamp was possibly no longer for sale....he would keep me posted. Strange. Willing to bet someone local offered him more money and he sold it.....or it was a scam of some sort....either way....i am just waiting for a nice weekend to go get the 05......
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #44

Minnesota
And i put this on the wrong thread....should be on "from none to two" sorry!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #45

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
Just wanted to update a strange happening....the guy with the 98 continued to post the ad all over the upper midwest every couple days....so i sent an email. I asked him why he kept posting it if he already had a list of buyers lined up....of which i was supposedly first in line? I got back an email saying that due to personal reasons the scamp was possibly no longer for sale....he would keep me posted. Strange. Willing to bet someone local offered him more money and he sold it.....or it was a scam of some sort....either way....i am just waiting for a nice weekend to go get the 05......
In any case, not the kind of person you want to deal with, especially if there is an issue.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #46

Minnesota
He confirmed it was because someone had offered him more money and would be there the following day to get it. I thanked him for his integrity and reminded him that he had said it wasn't actually for sale yet, so I wasn't aware that I needed to be there immediately..... Works out well though...my plan was to go look at (and probably buy) the 05....if for some reason there was something wrong with the 05, then I would look at the 98.....WHEN he decided it was up for sale..... It is a sad state of affairs when a little money speaks volumes.....
Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #47

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Please do let us know how the 05 turns out. Pictures would be nice, even if you don't buy it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote